• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By mbkemp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Stendker Tefe Discus and Wild Altums

The Stendkers and Altums are together for awhile until the angels grow a few inches on them and are ready to go into the 180 gallon. Have had the Altums for about 3 weeks now and are really starting to grow and recover lost finnage/scale damage. Were pretty rough when I got them from transportation stress; but, doing well now.

The male Stendker had a minor bout with Hexamita, but is well on his way to recovery after spending some time in the hospital tank/treatment/vitamins.

Here they all are enjoying some blood-worms:

Greggz, OVT, Doogy262 and 3 others like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful!! They will be a sight to behold as they grow

My curious side wonders what treatments you used to solve hex? I always learn from your disease treatment posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

In general I have never been a fan of Angels........but I have to say, those Altums are spectacular!

Very, very good looking fish with an interesting presence that pictures don't capture.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
In general I have never been a fan of Angels........but I have to say, those Altums are spectacular!

Very, very good looking fish with an interesting presence that pictures don't capture.
Thank you
I am right there with you... I have never appreciated Angels until these .
If other Angels have personalities like these do, I was missing out. They really are very curious and engaging.
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
Beautiful!! They will be a sight to behold as they grow

My curious side wonders what treatments you used to solve hex? I always learn from your disease treatment posts

Mike! Hi! So good to see you here

He has always been a weak fish, unfortunately.

Even with pristine conditions- he gets ill every 3-4 months. This time was quite bad.

I put him in hospital tank and treated him for 10 days with Epsom salt ( 5 days total) , metronidazole and kanamycin. He had a really deep pit between his eyes with swelling that came about rather quickly- a matter of a couple days.

My biggest concern was that he stopped eating- this can be a death sentence if they are not able to keep themselves nourished enough to fight infection.

After the 5th day he slowly began to nibble on food again. I stopped Epsom salt in water column and began to feed metro, vitamins, and garlic juice in food to further encourage him to eat.

On the 8th day, after all signs of infection ( inflammation) had past I turned up the temperature to 90 degrees slowly to raise his metabolic rate and (hopefully) encourage appetite. This did the trick! He ate very heartily within 24 hours.

By 10 day, after meds completed, he was back to himself ( with the exception of the pit that was beginning to heal).
I kept him at this temperature a few days and got lots of vitamins in his system as well as added some salt to discourage secondary bacteria from getting into wound.

On 14th day put back in display tank. He is doing well, but am keeping my eye on him.

Of course it goes without saying that I did lots of water changes
Greggz and mbkemp like this.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Outstanding!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom

Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's amazing to see where domestic angels get their personalities from, especially to see it in wild Altums! The way they stare at you through the glass trying to figure out what that gosh darn picture taking device is, is priceless!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode