Discus - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Super cool!

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@Blue Ridge Reef
The discus thank you for the beautiful Vals! They have been hanging out in them since put them in!

Many thanks!

Amy
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:43 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looking great, I hope they do almost as well for you as they did for me! (only say that because it took over the two tanks I put it in) I'm glad you had something tall for them, that's when they look their best.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Been a couple months since an update. So here goes:
The 3 wilds and the Heckel cross have really started growing and coloring up---

The Heckel has lost some of his/her barring ( Im thinking it may be a female) and is developing a really pretty blue in the face. Im hoping this is, indeed, a female and will spawn with my Alenquer male. I was so disappointed in this fish when first purchased it, but it is finally starting to fill out a bit and get through the ugly duckling stage.

The 3 wilds are very slow growing, but have started to thicken around the head and torso and developing some width. They are starting to develop a few red spots on the body as well -- they are technically a "red-spotted green" variety. Definitely not a high grade example, but my days of buying high grade specimens are over. Just no longer interested in that after raising discus for 18 years. Am more interested in fish behavior, breeding, etc...

Amy
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Discus

And a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Amy
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 06:26 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice, what to nitrates at Ed
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacks12345 View Post
Very nice, what to nitrates at Ed
Are you asking what nitrate levels are at?

If so, they are always under 10 ppm because do 2 x 50-75% water changes weekly. This tank has both sub-adult and adult discus.

Amy
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

thanks Ed
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I always liked the natural/wild types myself. Very nice looking fish.
Discusluv likes this.

post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I always liked the natural/wild types myself. Very nice looking fish.
Thank you!

I started out liking the hybrids in the bright oranges, reds, and yellows (the rafflesias, the red pandas, and the albino varieties)- but, after about 15 years of that I was ready for the subtle discus colors found in nature. My wilds are certainly not perfectly shaped-- but, they are still beautiful.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Amy
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hats off to you for doing that for 15 years and being able to step back to the roots if you will while maintaining the knowledge and know how. In my experience discus were one of the fish I breed for a little bit some 30 years ago when we could only get wilds for the most part. The bright colored ones were pretty much unobtainium for my parents shop cash flow plus nowhere near what they have available today. I had a breeding pair of wilds with a general book on fish keeping and the initial aquarium magazines we use to stock. Was a fun adventure but then I got my drivers license lol. They were in my mind good looking fish although probably no where near what ideal is now.

I personally like the more natural aspect of the hobby, even the bettas I think the natural wild types are some of the best looking ones out there.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode