Discus - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have been missing my discus so much since the terrible ( what the c--p was I thinking!) event when I mixed my Stendker discus pair with my Alenquers. As I had explained, this caused a huge immune reaction from foreign bacteria that caused the death of 3 of my discus. It was swift- I lost both my Stendker pair and the female F1 from the Alenquer pair within 24 hours. It was so devastating.

I have 2 Alenquers right now; 2 males who have been fighting and belligerent with each other ever since this event. Two discus who are not compatible are very brutal to one another. So, Ive been looking around for what to do next.

I found a breeder out of Southern California that has a group of F1 ( parents are wilds) Iripixi discus juveniles for sale. I will be ecstatic to get a group of these juveniles ( they are about 2.5 inches now) to grow out. It looks like its a go. I may be getting a small group by end of the week. Here is a video of the fry and parents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The Iripixi juveniles fell through, unfortunately. The vendor had oversold his stock.
Really disappointed---
But, able to find a few 3 inch Wild Red spotted Green discus. Ordered.

The wild juvies are coming Tuesday!

Here is a picture of the type I ordered:

https://www.aqua-imports.com/shop/pr...us-wild-nanay/

Here is a video when mature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discusluv; 09-04-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: video and picture
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Discusluv great looking fishes.

I am curious, do the old school wild ones we use to get back in the late 80s early 90s have the same sensitivity as the newer captive breat strains? Reason I ask is that I remember as a teen at my parents shop it seemed they were a tad hardier then what people make them out to be now a days. We had a decent size display tank where I would grow some out and we would sell mated pairs occasionally and as some of the oldies would cycle out I added the best looking youngsters from new batches without issue.

Thanks and sorry for straying off subject.
Discusluv likes this.

post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Discusluv great looking fishes.

I am curious, do the old school wild ones we use to get back in the late 80s early 90s have the same sensitivity as the newer captive breat strains? Reason I ask is that I remember as a teen at my parents shop it seemed they were a tad hardier then what people make them out to be now a days. We had a decent size display tank where I would grow some out and we would sell mated pairs occasionally and as some of the oldies would cycle out I added the best looking youngsters from new batches without issue.

Thanks and sorry for straying off subject.
You are not straying of topic at all---

This will, actually, be my first group of wild discus so Im not sure. I do have a male Alenquer F1 ( parents were wild) that is one of the most hearty discus Ive ever had.

I think wild fish (as a rule) are more hearty because they haven't been ( and their parents haven't been) exposed to the chemicals (antibiotics, primarily) that domesticated strains are subjected to.

Also, equally important, they have not been raised in mass market fish farming operations. When raised in close quarters with other fish, these fish are more prone to mycobacteria, columnaris, viral infections, etc...

While wild fish have a tendency to have more parasites- these parasites are relatively easy to recognize and treat for. At least for me, anyways.

I am a bit nervous because these juveniles are wilds- but at 3 inches their immune systems will be starting to get more established and should be good with proper temp ( 86 degrees), high/lean protein ( freeze-dried blackworms and a high quality pellet/flake like New Life Spectrum), a supplimental liquid vitamin 1-2x weekly like Boyds Vitachem and daily water changes.

They come tomorrow.
Quint and Yaboihunt like this.

post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks and GL with them.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

They are here! The larger of the 3 was pretty stressed-lying on his side in bag. But, the bag had lost some water relative to the others and I think this made a big difference in ammonia accumulation. I wasnt altogether happy with the care that was put into packaging these--- I paid a premium for packaging and shipping Fed-Ex overnight shipping by 10:30 am. It is just nearly impossible to get wild juvenile discus---)

I decided to do a quick temp acclimation ( 15 minutes) and drop in - not drip acclimate because of the way they looked.

They all went into the water well. The larger one regaining his vigor when he touched the water. They are barred up right now and exploring the tank nervously. Ill take a picture this evening when settle in and can turn on light a bit.

They are juveniles ( and wild!), however, so they dont have the bright coloration that they will when mature... and even when mature will not have the almost carnival-like coloration that some domestics have. But, many of these have been pumped with steroids and specifically bred for color and not health and vigor.

post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congrats on atleast arriving alive, thats half the battle.
Discusluv likes this.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Congrats on atleast arriving alive, thats half the battle.
Ha! Ha! This is true. Did a quick look with the light on and they are looking good. Some ammonia burn/erosion on fins with a bit of fungus-- but minor, nothing that daily water changes shouldn't take care of.

Eyes are bright, no sign of external parasites; but, the internal ones not gonna take any chances on. Treated with one dose of Praziquantel ( for gut worms). Will feed some metronidazole when eating robustly for protozoa. Right now, just picking at blood-worms and looking at me warily.

The nematodes--- Ill look out for signs--- the medication, levamisole, is a bit harsh to treat prophetically.

Otherwise- a healthy group of babies.
Yaboihunt likes this.

post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some thoughts, and a quick video this morning:

They are all doing good this morning, but not liking me too much near their tank. Not eating, just picking; but, this is very normal for young discus so I am not at all worried about it at this point. This morning, before they realized I was in the room observing them, they were swimming up and down the tank walls together. This is typical behavior of fish not quite yet settled with their environment. I decided to add a group of orange-lemon tetras from another tank to calm them. I have found that the frenzied eating of tetras encourage reluctant discus to eat.

Ive been feeding them a variety of foods ( very small bits here and there): blood-worms, freeze-dried black-worms, pellets, flakes- nothing has really got them to forget their nervousness enough to eat yet. Ive also added some Boyds Vitachem to water column to replenish minerals that they have lost through their temporary hunger strike. It is not fool-proof, but a good amount of nutrients from the vitamins can be taken up by the fish through the gills.

I am hoping that they were not being fed beef-heart ( which is very common at the wholesale houses/vendors) because it is no longer a discus food I'm too keen on feeding. I have fed beef-heart for years up to a couple years ago; but, I stopped because I found that there are leaner proteins that are better alternatives-- like freeze-dried black-worms, namely. Ill give them a few days on the current foods I have, if they continue to be resistant to eating Ill raise the temperature to around 88 degrees (I'm at 85 degrees right now. At a few degrees higher, this raises their metabolism- encouraging hunger) and try soaking food in garlic.

Meanwhile- I have de-wormed and watching for any other health issues. Okay, the video.

Thelongsnail and Yaboihunt like this.

post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Victory-- eating!

And, starting to pick at each other like a proper group of ornery discus.
Yaboihunt likes this.

post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Of bloodworms, freeze-dried blackworms, NLS cichlid pellet, and NLS Community fish flake, these guys like boring ole fish flake the most. Whats up with that? Soon as I put the flake in they start moving up and down in search of the flake.

I suppose it is what the vendor was feeding- not sure. I sent a message to them- but, no answer. The other consideration is the color and the way the flakes move when they hit the water column-- they really go after the red flake food and appear to "chase" the flake as it hits the area of flow from filter output. Maybe it is not that they like the flakes better than the other foods- it is more about color and movement.

My feeding/water change schedule has been:

8:00 Am- Small pinch of flake food
11:00 Am- 1/4 Cube of Freeze-dried blackworms

75% water change w/ gravel vac and wipe down of aquarium glass

2:00 Pm - small pinch of Cichlid Pellet
5:00 PM- 1/4 Cube frozen bloodworms
8:00 PM- Small pinch of flake food.

This will be schedule until reach 4.5 inches- 2 months?
They range from 3 inches ( 2 of them)-3.5 ( 1 of them) now. Once reach 4.5 will go in with the adults in the 60 gallon. From here will get 3 feedings a day and 3 x 50-75% water changes weekly until hit 5.5 inches.
Then, as adults, 2 x feedings daily and water changes 2 x weekly @ 50-75%.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congratulations--they're gorgeous!

Subscribed & following closely. Especially liking your detailed feeding info. The 75% water change is weekly? Have some dime-sized baby angels on order, and am assuming they'll thrive on the same foods as discus. My vendor says she just gives them flake, so that should be easy enough to start with.

Interesting about the preferences for certain colors of flake food. I notice my guppies will often ignore the blue flakes, but eagerly go after all the other colors. Odd. Aren't they supposed to be colorblind?
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Congratulations--they're gorgeous!

Subscribed & following closely. Especially liking your detailed feeding info. The 75% water change is weekly? Have some dime-sized baby angels on order, and am assuming they'll thrive on the same foods as discus. My vendor says she just gives them flake, so that should be easy enough to start with.

Interesting about the preferences for certain colors of flake food. I notice my guppies will often ignore the blue flakes, but eagerly go after all the other colors. Odd. Aren't they supposed to be colorblind?
The 75% water change is daily
With my Altum angel juveniles I did 2-3 x 50-75% water changes weekly and fed them 3x daily.

But, with my discus juveniles, Im sure there will be days ( like today) when I have company coming and will not do a water change. But, on those days when unable to do water change I will feed less.

I am a big believer in a high quality staple food- whether pellet or flake or both and a rotation of other foods: I prefer a freezedried and frozen option - that option depending on fish feeding. Angels and discus have the same need for a high protein low fat diet. When they are young they are more carnivorous, as the mature they begin to become more omnivorous-- needing more greens in their diets.

With my adult discus, I will supplement their need for some greens by either incorporating a pellet such as NLS Algaemax mixed with their cichlid pellet or, as I have now, the freeze-dried blackworms that they are getting daily have spirulina and spinach included in cube. You could add this to their diets with organic vegetables ( blanched) as well.; but, I find it easier to use prepared foods because their requirement for greens is daily, but low.

Im not sure that fish are all color-blind-- my discus sure appear to have a distinct preference for red foods.

post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
The 75% water change is daily
With my Altum angel juveniles I did 2-3 x 50-75% water changes weekly and fed them 3x daily.

But, with my discus juveniles, Im sure there will be days ( like today) when I have company coming and will not do a water change. But, on those days when unable to do water change I will feed less.

I am a big believer in a high quality staple food- whether pellet or flake or both and a rotation of other foods: I prefer a freezedried and frozen option - that option depending on fish feeding. Angels and discus have the same need for a high protein low fat diet. When they are young they are more carnivorous, as the mature they begin to become more omnivorous-- needing more greens in their diets.

With my adult discus, I will supplement their need for some greens by either incorporating a pellet such as NLS Algaemax mixed with their cichlid pellet or, as I have now, the freeze-dried blackworms that they are getting daily have spirulina and spinach included in cube. You could add this to their diets with organic vegetables ( blanched) as well.; but, I find it easier to use prepared foods because their requirement for greens is daily, but low.

Im not sure that fish are all color-blind-- my discus sure appear to have a distinct preference for red foods.
Daily? Wow. I currently do 30% 2x/wk for my heavily planted tank, but will up that if needed.

Thanks for the detailed info on food requirements. Do you have any cichlid flakes or pellets you especially recommend for juveniles? Didn't occur to me that they'd need veggies beyond what's in a cichlid food, so will get that Algaemax. Already have freeze-dried black & blood worms, but not with veggies mixed in.

The fish were shipped Tues, but got delayed, and aren't getting here til this afternoon. So hopefully they'll still be alive. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again!
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I’m impressed. Does Discus always demand this level of maintenance?

Cheers

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode