3Likes
  • 4 Post By Nigel95
  • 2 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
External flash vs studio lighting

Hey hey, I would like to buy some studio lighting or external flash second hand to improve my aquarium pictures.

I have very small space beside the aquariums so I don't know if studio lighting will fit with the tripod. Any solutions for this?

My main question is what would be better for taking full aquarium shots. An external flash or studio lighting above the tank?

For what specifications should I look for? When buying an external flash or studio lighting.I have read 200 watts like two would be nice on both sides. What about external flash whats important?

Thanks

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
For FTS your probably better off with a studio setup. I don't know if a speedlite will have enough spread to cover the whole tank. What is your main area your trying to improve. Is it blurry fish in the full tank shot? Otherwise you should be able to slow the shutter enough to get a very good picture without flash.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
For FTS your probably better off with a studio setup. I don't know if a speedlite will have enough spread to cover the whole tank. What is your main area your trying to improve. Is it blurry fish in the full tank shot? Otherwise you should be able to slow the shutter enough to get a very good picture without flash.
Yeah fish are blurry and overall tank looks dark. I try to copy some of the settings of people from flickr but my pictures get real dark. Then I read somewhere lighting is everything and can greatly improve aquarium photography.

Would also like to achieve an effect of two colors on the background by putting the thank 20 cm from wall. Light the back of the tank and use something like foamboard, cardboard, wall w/e to achieve that.

Example of my "best" try.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
That picture is there space between the tank and the background like in your diagram? Just running a light through the back would have improved it greatly. If you want to do it on the cheap you can get a few clam shells and put daylight floods in there two probably over the tank and one for the back space between the background and tank.

I don't know what camera you have I have a Canon and use a 580exii speedlite when necessary but mostly for individual fish. I haven't tried it for FTS. Sometimes I use a piece of white canvas and place that a few inches behind the tank for the bright white background look.
Nigel95 and Nigel95 like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Go for decent flash units and remote firing. Most of the time however a light above and a fill light in front is all you need.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

External flash vs studio lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
That picture is there space between the tank and the background like in your diagram? Just running a light through the back would have improved it greatly. If you want to do it on the cheap you can get a few clam shells and put daylight floods in there two probably over the tank and one for the back space between the background and tank.

I don't know what camera you have I have a Canon and use a 580exii speedlite when necessary but mostly for individual fish. I haven't tried it for FTS. Sometimes I use a piece of white canvas and place that a few inches behind the tank for the bright white background look.

There is only 3" / 8 cm space between tank and wall. Now the tank is in dry start Maybe I can pull it off the wall more.

I have a Samsung nx300m. Probably not the best but it has manual mode and I can adjust the important things.

I think for the price of daylight floods New I could buy some studiolighting (continuous light) Second hand. Only external flash seem expensive.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 08-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Go for decent flash units and remote firing. Most of the time however a light above and a fill light in front is all you need.

Are all external flash units "okay"? Where Should I look for specific?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Think I try out the cheap led floodlights first and see what I can get from this.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/LED-F...AbTest=ae803_3

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 08-20-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Think I try out the cheap led floodlights first and see what I can get from this.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/LED-F...AbTest=ae803_3
A flood light or video light is probably your best bet considering your camera and there not being many mount options for it. If you care about color, a cheap light will not look great. You'll probably get some pretty strong color casts. Something like this will probably produce better color. https://www.adorama.com/goled308iiy.html. YouTube cheap video light and you'll get a bunch of videos testing these.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode