Help choosing macro lens - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Help choosing macro lens

I'm wanting to get a macro lens for a cannon rebel t4i. I do know its 58mm but I have no idea which lens I need. Anyone familiar with this camera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Familiar w/ cameras and Macro lenses .. Not Canon in part. except that over time they changed their lens mount.
I assume you want a dedicated lens and not front snap on adapters?

A recommended used source for stuff..

https://www.keh.com/shop/catalogsear...?q=canon+macro
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-10...-usm-lens.html
https://www.adorama.com/alc/0008512/...s-buying-guide

http://lenshero.com/lenses/Canon-Rebel-T5-macro-lens

Don't ignore 3rd party Macros.
http://lenshero.com/lens/Tamron-SP-6...-Canon-ef-lens
http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens...-sp-af/review/
https://www.keh.com/shop/tamron-60mm...-dslrs-55.html

Quote:
To really get close to your subject, invest in a macro lens or a set of diopters. A true macro lens, which enables you to get really, really close to your subjects, is an expensive proposition; expect to pay around $200 or more. But if you enjoy capturing the tiny details in life, it’s worth the investment. For a less expensive way to go, you can spend about $40 for a set of diopters, which are sort of like reading glasses that you screw onto your existing lens. The downfall of diopters, sadly, is that they typically produce images that are very soft around the edges — a problem that doesn’t occur with a good macro lens.
also remeber that w/ the APC sensor and multiplier of 1.62 for the Rebel a 60mm lens is an "Effective" 96mm due to crop factor..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-12-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
You can get decent results with the "normal" lens you already have, pick up a set of extension tubes on eBay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
You can get decent results with the "normal" lens you already have, pick up a set of extension tubes on eBay.
Extension tubes won't work w/ many "computerized" cameras. at least not very conveniently..

In the same vein using a reversing ring "works" too.. All kludgy

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Extension tubes won't work w/ many "computerized" cameras. at least not very conveniently..

In the same vein using a reversing ring "works" too.. All kludgy
They do "work", you are just forced to full manual and no AF. They also cost several hundred dollars less than a decent dedicated macro lens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
For the price, IQ and size you really can't go wrong with the Canon 60mm. I think I mentioned it in my macro thread. It's small enough to handhold as well. Unless your doing alot of insects you don't need anything with a longer reach.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
For the price, IQ and size you really can't go wrong with the Canon 60mm. I think I mentioned it in my macro thread. It's small enough to handhold as well. Unless your doing alot of insects you don't need anything with a longer reach.
Well all of this depends if the o/p wants to even go that high in price..

Between Tamron and Canon neitrhe would be the wrong choice for macro.
Some other factors do come into play when choosing

Tamron 2.0 aperture, smoother bokeh for portraits Near as I can find slightly sharper.
Canon USM (quiet and faster) , Cheaper retail I believe, supposedly higher resale value.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well all of this depends if the o/p wants to even go that high in price..

Between Tamron and Canon neitrhe would be the wrong choice for macro.
Some other factors do come into play when choosing

Tamron 2.0 aperture, smoother bokeh for portraits Near as I can find slightly sharper.
Canon USM (quiet and faster) , Cheaper retail I believe, supposedly higher resale value.
Which macro lens are you using?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
The Canon 60mm macro is pretty well regarded , but I'd recommend a 100 mm or so . I use one on my 7D Mk2 . The big advantage is it gives you a longer focal length when the 1.6 crop factor is added in ( effectively a 160mm ) This means you can stand back a bit more from your subject in comparison the the 60mm . Plus , it makes a great portrait lens .Try to get a used one (try B&H , Adorama , or KEH) ,or a refurb off the Canon website . Just know that there are/were 3 different 100mm Canon macros . You DON'T want the one with the 52mm filter threads ; this is a lens that was discontinued years and years ago . The 100mm with the 58mm front threads is still in production and is rock solid . There's also a 100mm with image stabilization , supposed to be great , but it's pricy , even used . Sigma,Tamron , and Tokina all make 90-100mm macros in Canon mounting. Might be a lot cheaper than a Canon , but can't offer any advice as to their build quality .

Took these with my 7D2 and the Canon 100 macro ...

viwwo and viwwo like this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The 100mm is definitely a great lens as well, but double the price and size of the 60mm. And unless your main goal is insects doesn't offer much benefit for aquarium fish photography. Nice shots BTW
someoldguy and someoldguy like this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks .... but it's really good for other stuff besides bugs . Used to do miniature orchids , small bits of circuitry , all sorts of stuff . But for fish , its' big advantage , for me at least , is the extra reach so I don''t need to get right up on the tank .
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
Thanks .... but it's really good for other stuff besides bugs . Used to do miniature orchids , small bits of circuitry , all sorts of stuff . But for fish , its' big advantage , for me at least , is the extra reach so I don''t need to get right up on the tank .
Not saying it can''t do alot, just saying the reach comes in really handy with bugs since they'll scatter if you get too close. In an aquarium the fish are confined so its' not as important. They're also accustomed to having people near the tank.

It really depends on budget and what the OP wants to shoot. Also the size of the 60mm is more conducive to walking around with.
someoldguy and someoldguy like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Which macro lens are you using?
Depends on the day.. I have 1/2 doz of them for a Pentax K-3

My favorite (for uniqueness) is a Vivitar 90-180 Macro zoom ff Series one:
Like this one:

small sample:

OPP's might be the Pentax 50mm Macro

opps opps 100mm DFA Pentax Macro..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-13-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: edit
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
D
My favorite (for uniqueness) is a Vivitar 90-180 Macro zoom ff Series one:
That might be a good lens for outdoor macro, but I would never recommend it for indoor fish photography. With an min F4.5, at would be very tough to get a fast enough shutter without using OCF. Which is another expensive item. The Canon 100mm and 60mm both of F2.8.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I forgot tossubscribe to this thread when I made it and forgot that I posted it until today. Sucks getting old lol. I just want to be able to take good pics of my fish, plants,and shrimp in my tanks. I paid like 1300 for the t4i when it first came out knowing absolutely nothing about quality cameras and still use my cell phone most of the time. I've figured out how to take ok pics with it but rhe package I bought only came with two lens, one being a zoom, but it does not take what I consider to be good pics in my tanks. It's probably more user error than anything else but everyone seems to agree that to get the type of pics I want I need macro. Macro what? No idea. Its all greek to me. I will check out all the links posted and thanks for the suggestions

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode