Show off your Betta Fish! - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Betta <3

He's such a fatty... he kept looking for leftover food on the substrate. ( supposed to be food for shrimp. >_> )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharper View Post
I saw this one at Petco today. I came pretty close to getting him, but I'm not sure at the $20 price tag.

Attachment 767289
The hump near his head looks... weird.
Edit: Maybe it's the picture angle? lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_232800.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	767297  

Name:	20170623_233106.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	767305  

Name:	20170623_233031.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	767313  

Last edited by Korilakkuma; 06-24-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Algae Grower

Cloud and Luna. Future Pair
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19457691_10209752147823923_888050571_o.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	767321  

Name:	19457817_10209752147863924_620348327_o.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	767329  

ibebian and ibebian like this.
post #48 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korilakkuma View Post
My Betta <3

He's such a fatty... he kept looking for leftover food on the substrate. ( supposed to be food for shrimp. >_> )

The hump near his head looks... weird.
Edit: Maybe it's the picture angle? lol.

Does your betta seem to do okay with shrimp? It seems most betta will make quick snacks of the shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #49 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibebian View Post
Does your betta seem to do okay with shrimp? It seems most betta will make quick snacks of the shrimp?

It really depends on the Betta's personality. My Betta ignores the amano shrimps ( even the smallest ones )... but generally, yes, most Betta will snack on shrimps.

Here's my Betta relaxing on the substrate while a shrimp chilled next to him. :3

Sent from my Samsung S8 using Tapatalk
post #50 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ok that's it... I'm cleaning up my 5 gallon and getting me another betta damnit!
There was a blue and orange colored 'koi' betta at the petstore that I want and I don't care what the hubs says.. we're getting it! lol
Yall have some beautiful fish!

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #51 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldAlkaline View Post
I can't believe no one has made this thread yet! I'd love to see some of the forum's bettas!

Here are my two (in seperate tanks obviously). One is a female koi Betta, named Dot. The picture is before this, but she just had a small bout with ammonia but seems to be recovering fine.

My other Betta is a Male Bumblebee Betta named sulfur. I just got him recently and he's doing fine. Very very active little guy.
Elvis 🎸
Fluval Spec 5 gallon.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
ibebian and ibebian like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharper View Post
Yal are making me want to get a betta! These are so beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibebian View Post
Are there known reputable web sites for betta?
[quote=lordheavyc;10304241]You could always "rescue" the fish in a cup at petco
Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
True, but try to pick the healthiest looking one. Chain store fish are usually cheaper but for good reason - it's hit or miss sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Both of mine are from PETCO
Bettas are a great addition, as mentioned above you can get them local from petstores. Most of mine are local-the ones I got online cost a fortune-usually $15-30 for fish + another $40 for shipping or more! I've had health issues with online orders-over/in bred leading to complications so I'm sticking to cheaper local finds now. How much you want to pay for a fish is up to you.
If you want to get a Betta go to the bettafish.com site and look at the 'betta fish care and betta fish bowl, habitat, and accessories section-look at the stickied threads for starter info.
basic info: get an adjustable heater-'betta heater/pre sets can malfunction and cook fish, set temp to 76-82F.
if you don't have it get seachem Prime-dechlorinator and binds ammonia and nitrite (doesn't hurt fish but allows beneficial bacteria and live plants to still consume ammonia)-many betta owners with cycling betta tanks recommend 2 drops of Prime per a gallon per a day. Keep up on frequent water changes while tank cycles.
tank size-lot of augment here but the more water volume the ebtter-2-2.5g minimum. long tank is better than tall tank. If you get a betta king at petco they are a larger betta and need a 8-10g
filter-low flow- azoo mignong/azoo palm highly recommended by betta owners-cover intake tube with foam/sponge media and outflow if HOB, if spray bar outflow point to closets wall to bounce water flow off wall then around tank. sponge filter with air pump Si most gentle on betta-won't blast them around.
decor-stick to silk plants or live plants, rubber/plastic plants and hard decor can rip fins.
If you buy local inspect cloudy: look for fin root, pop eye or cloudy eye (some also get diamond eye-scales grow over eyes-this lads to partial or full blindness they need a little extra care but are do-able). Make sure there is no white poop in cup and that fish is responsive. If its listing to teh side or flaoting/sunk to bottom it has issues. Sometimes just warm clean water can fish sbd (swim bladder disorder) issues-one of my rescues had developed bad sbd over a week at a store so I took him home, first 12 hours he was perfect-still alive and kicking on my desk.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #53 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower

My male dragonscale came from petco and hasn't had any health problems to speak of. He seems very happy as king of my 15gallon

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
post #54 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Vader just gained two gallons going from his 1.5G to 3.5G. He seems more content.

lisals and lisals like this.
post #55 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Vader just gained two gallons going from his 1.5G to 3.5G. He seems more content.

Great photo. That's ariccia carpet isn't it? I loved having that in my 12g long but its such a pain-have to keep trimmed or it will break loose and float up to the surface and makes a mess.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #56 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:21 AM
Planted Member

Quote:

How was he doing in the 1.5 gallon?! and how long did you keep him there, I have a 1.5G tank that only has shrimps but it's fully planted with full carpet, 1x rotala indica and 1x some stem plant that I forgot the name off, I just finished cycling the tank and planning to move it to my work and keep it on my desk, so I'm really tempted to put a beta in this tank, what would you suggest?!

post #57 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
How was he doing in the 1.5 gallon?! and how long did you keep him there, I have a 1.5G tank that only has shrimps but it's fully planted with full carpet, 1x rotala indica and 1x some stem plant that I forgot the name off, I just finished cycling the tank and planning to move it to my work and keep it on my desk, so I'm really tempted to put a beta in this tank, what would you suggest?!
I wouldn't keep a betta in a tank that is less than 3 gallons. It's preferable to house them in 5 gallon tank or more.
Omar EAZi and Omar EAZi like this.
post #58 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Great photo. That's ariccia carpet isn't it? I loved having that in my 12g long but its such a pain-have to keep trimmed or it will break loose and float up to the surface and makes a mess.
Yes it's Riccia. I have a long history with it and actually think it's one of the easier plant to trim and control for the very reason it does float. If you plant it with mesh, don't let it pearl to much, shut the filter off an remove the stones when trimming it's really pretty easy. Anything that come off floats, or you shake it loose from other plants and just skim if off the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
I had mine in a 1.5G for around 3 months and he was perfectly fine. That being said it would depend on the shape of the tank and how much open space there is. If you look at my sig. links the first 1.5G is the one I had him in. I did remove the tree and just left the hairgrass carpet with the moss mound to give him more space. Small tanks especially you have to watch the jumping. Mine jumped out once and I was lucky enough to come back in the room in time.
post #59 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

Not being a very experienced fish keeper I will say this. I used to have a crowntail in a small 2 gallon bowl. Did frequent WC and tried to do everything I read about. He didn't swim around much and didn't show much personality. He eventually died but still not sure from what. My current guy lives a much larger tank with other fish, plants, hiding places and he's the most energetic betta I've ever seen. Constantly swimming, flaring, and generally being pretty awesome. I'd like to think that the larger tank really brought the best in him as opposed to the smaller tank from my last fish. Just the other day he made a huge bubble nest. Way bigger than my previous betta ever made. Maybe it's me but I think he's happier than my other fish ever was.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
post #60 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 04:47 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks yal! I got all super excited, but my main plan was to add him to my 55gal. However, since I have male guppies in there and recently learned that a male betta will likely attack guppies, I decided against it. I was super bummed! I'd love to have that betta, but I don't have a separate setup for him. I'll need to plan and slowly build a spot for a betta, instead. I'll just admire yals photos for now.

[quote=AquaAurora;10307905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordheavyc View Post
You could always "rescue" the fish in a cup at petco
Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Bettas are a great addition, as mentioned above you can get them local from petstores. Most of mine are local-the ones I got online cost a fortune-usually $15-30 for fish + another $40 for shipping or more! I've had health issues with online orders-over/in bred leading to complications so I'm sticking to cheaper local finds now. How much you want to pay for a fish is up to you.
If you want to get a Betta go to the bettafish.com site and look at the 'betta fish care and betta fish bowl, habitat, and accessories section-look at the stickied threads for starter info.
basic info: get an adjustable heater-'betta heater/pre sets can malfunction and cook fish, set temp to 76-82F.
if you don't have it get seachem Prime-dechlorinator and binds ammonia and nitrite (doesn't hurt fish but allows beneficial bacteria and live plants to still consume ammonia)-many betta owners with cycling betta tanks recommend 2 drops of Prime per a gallon per a day. Keep up on frequent water changes while tank cycles.
tank size-lot of augment here but the more water volume the ebtter-2-2.5g minimum. long tank is better than tall tank. If you get a betta king at petco they are a larger betta and need a 8-10g
filter-low flow- azoo mignong/azoo palm highly recommended by betta owners-cover intake tube with foam/sponge media and outflow if HOB, if spray bar outflow point to closets wall to bounce water flow off wall then around tank. sponge filter with air pump Si most gentle on betta-won't blast them around.
decor-stick to silk plants or live plants, rubber/plastic plants and hard decor can rip fins.
If you buy local inspect cloudy: look for fin root, pop eye or cloudy eye (some also get diamond eye-scales grow over eyes-this lads to partial or full blindness they need a little extra care but are do-able). Make sure there is no white poop in cup and that fish is responsive. If its listing to teh side or flaoting/sunk to bottom it has issues. Sometimes just warm clean water can fish sbd (swim bladder disorder) issues-one of my rescues had developed bad sbd over a week at a store so I took him home, first 12 hours he was perfect-still alive and kicking on my desk.
Thanks so much for all of this info! That helps a lot! I thought the minimum is 5gal. I think 2.5g would be more doable for me to find a spot to put him in my house. Open top tanks/bowls are hard for me to find spots for because I have 3 cats that would probably take interest in sticking their paw in. I was thinking about building a nano/pico of some sort and I've been trying to decide if I want to go shrimp or betta. But my tap water is 8.0 ph, so I'm not sure.

I thought $20 was expensive for a betta, but as I do some more research, I'm finding out that it's a reasonable price.

Oh, I hope I can join the betta group someday soon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode