PTrader: (0/0%)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
They will do great in a 20, however Rams occupy the same territory as apistos so it's not recommended to have both unless there is enough space for both to have a territory (a 20 is a bit tight for 2 types)...
This is true. A pair or maybe a trio is the most I'd put into a standard 20, if its a 20L you could get away with 2 pair.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldAlkaline View Post
Ah gotcha, so they are territorial as well? Ah well, I think ill do the rams as they are readily available to me and my favorite fish, hahah
All cichlids are generally territorial even the rams your planning on getting. As mentioned above a pair or trio is a good fit even for the rams. Rams IMO are actually a little more aggressive than most of the Apistos I've kept. Don't sell yourself short by just picking up rams because they're readily available near you. Look through this thread and google Apistogramma species and see what you like. Let me know if you want some and i may be able to point you in a direction for purchasing them.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
All cichlids are generally territorial even the rams your planning on getting. As mentioned above a pair or trio is a good fit even for the rams. Rams IMO are actually a little more aggressive than most of the Apistos I've kept. Don't sell yourself short by just picking up rams because they're readily available near you. Look through this thread and google Apistogramma species and see what you like. Let me know if you want some and i may be able to point you in a direction for purchasing them.
Oh of course. Ive seen some Apistos, but a ram is not a compromise for me anyways! they are some of my favorite fish! I plan on getting a pair of them along with a pair of clown plecos to add with my current school of tetras and 2 platys

Current Fish tanks:
20 Gallon SE Asian biotope?: 8 amano shrimp, 1 Gold Gourami, 6 Panda Corys
10 gallon: 3 Female Bettas, 3 nerite snails, 4 Emerald Green Corys
7 gallon cube: 3 Licorice Gouramis, 1 leftover Dario Hysignon
4 gallon cube: Male Halfmoon Plakat Betta
2.5 Gallon: Male Bumblebee Betta
post #95 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
. Don't sell yourself short by just picking up rams because they're readily available near you. Look through this thread and google Apistogramma species and see what you like. Let me know if you want some and i may be able to point you in a direction for purchasing them.

This is so true! Since I've started looking at Apistogramma sp. more in depth I'm amazed by the huge variety available in the hobby. I'm going to have to finally just pick one or I'll never decide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAOK Club #24
post #96 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:18 AM
Algae Grower

New fish

I have these for a week or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0099 6.38.47 PM.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	736394  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021 6.38.47 PM.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	736402  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #97 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
You are too kind @bobriley2345

I try my best :-)
post #98 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

Yes they are Agassizi
post #99 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

All figured this is best place to get some advice. My apis has given birth it's a communal tank 240litres I have a planted injected CO2 tank.

The mother keeps her fry close and if they stray to far she will pick them up and put them back under the tree. However some of the fish are managing to eat the fry I have witnessed one being eaten.

What should I do.... Leave them to her and see if she can raise them... Or catch them and put them in a hatchery?

Let me know what you all think is best...

See video below https://youtu.be/zRIV7LM64ss

post #100 of 423 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Show me your Apisto and I'll show you mine

I picked up a pair of Apistogramma erythrura that are F1 from a collection trip to Bolivia by Drs. Tom Wilkinson & Ron Harlan in August of last year! I'm sure those names probably don't mean much to y'all, they certainly don't to me. Tom's a long term Apisto collector & Ron seems to be all about the Killifish.

These are fairly young but easily sexed and already showing great colors( & that's inside a breather bag being looked at by everyone!)

Pics to come in a few days!

Two F1 pairs of A. abacaxis from the same trip went for $20 & $12.

RAOK Club #24

Last edited by johnson18; 03-26-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: letters
post #101 of 423 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!
This applies to you now.

Just a noob

post #102 of 423 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Do you all find that A. agazzizi fish are not usually as healthy as other varieties? I just got a trio of the red agazzizzi's and one female died and the other isn't looking at ease. Nothing visibly wrong with any of them, and they seemed well fed to begin with although they did behave a bit weirdly in the shop.

I switched them into nearly pure RO DI water and they are looking a bit better today. I wonder if they get pH shocked or stressed out by hard water?
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Zapins
post #103 of 423 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
Do you all find that A. agazzizi fish are not usually as healthy as other varieties? I just got a trio of the red agazzizzi's and one female died and the other isn't looking at ease. Nothing visibly wrong with any of them, and they seemed well fed to begin with although they did behave a bit weirdly in the shop.

I switched them into nearly pure RO DI water and they are looking a bit better today. I wonder if they get pH shocked or stressed out by hard water?
I think it mainly depends on the source. Ive had them die within a week from the LFS, but the ones i get from breeders or well known sources always do very well. I'm not so sure about the hard water aspect as I have pretty good well water. It has a ph of 6.8 and a gh/kh of 6/8.

Just a noob

post #104 of 423 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
This applies to you now.

That requires seeing more than a brief glimpse of them at a time! I'll be home a little more this next week. I'll see what I can do. Posted a couple in the bag shots over in my tank journal.

311418 and 311418 like this.

RAOK Club #24
post #105 of 423 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobriley2345 View Post
Hey!

Just PM me if you want me to grab a pair for you and ship them out

Good luck!
I'm going to remember this for future purchases. I once tried to order from them and they never returned my emails.
311418 and 311418 like this.

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode