Solenoid won't shut off - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Solenoid won't shut off

I purchased the mini regulator but it won't turn off with timer. It clicks on but won't turn off at set time, I have to turn it off from the timer manually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Any ideas to fix?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you sure its not shutting off? sometimes it takes a little bit for the gas to finish escaping from the lines. Mine probably produces bubbles a good minute or so after the valve closes off.

There could be a little dirt or something in the valve causing it to not close completely allowing some gas to seep through.

Could be something wrong with the timer that it's still allowing voltage to go through thus keeping the valve open. Try putting a light on the timer and see if it actually goes off like it should. Or, if you have a voltmeter you can test it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It stays on, I've left it thinking it would shut off snd 5 hours later it was still running full. My timer has on, off and auto. When I switch it to off, the solenoid clicks. When it's on auto it won't

It's on my second timer, it works fine when connected to other things. It will shut off when I switch the timer to off manually.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

It sounds like your timer still has enough voltage going through it to allow the solenoid to be open in the auto function. Might have to try a different timer or continue to manually turn it off. Sorry I cant help you out anymore than this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like a timer issue not a solenoid issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
imo it sounds like theres something stuck in the solenoid leaving it open. Its actually pretty commen with these aquatek solenoids and ive had it happen to me. Try cleaning it (google how to)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've used 3 different timers. All same issue. It turns off my lights

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
imo it sounds like theres something stuck in the solenoid leaving it open. Its actually pretty commen with these aquatek solenoids and ive had it happen to me. Try cleaning it (google how to)
Thanks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
I've used 3 different timers. All same issue. It turns off my lights

Bump:

Thanks
But you can turn it off manually. By I assume unplugging it? If it was sticking open even when unplugged then I'd say it would be the unit. But being able to shut it off manually???

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My timer has 3 settings. Off, on and auto. Auto turns on/off automatically, if I switch it to off, it shuts off the solenoid, then I'll swutch it back to auto so it turns on the set time.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
My timer has 3 settings. Off, on and auto. Auto turns on/off automatically, if I switch it to off, it shuts off the solenoid, then I'll swutch it back to auto so it turns on the set time.
Doesn't sound like a dirty solenoid to me IMO, if it was it wouldn't ever shut off it'd just be stuck open even if you unplugged it. Is your timer mechanical or digital?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's a digital, I had it on a manual before this. Earlier I set it for an hour to test it out but it wasn't on wheni woke up. I'm hoping it turned off, I'll rey again tonight
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It's a digital, I had it on a manual before this. Earlier I set it for an hour to test it out but it wasn't on wheni woke up. I'm hoping it turned off, I'll rey again tonight
If the timer isn't a 3 prong plug AND you can reverse the poles of the plug in the socket try turning the timer around on the wall outlet. Shouldn't matter but theoretically could.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
If the timer isn't a 3 prong plug AND you can reverse the poles of the plug in the socket try turning the timer around on the wall outlet. Shouldn't matter but theoretically could.
do you think his socket has reverse polarity?

I have a mini on a manual timer and it shuts off like it's suppose to. Have not tried it on a digital one though. Is your outlet gfi?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wouldn't matter if the outlet was reversed polarity or not. A solenoid is a coil of wire that when is energized creates a magnetic field that pulls in an armature.

Basically your timer(s) are messed up, not the solenoid. If your solenoid closes when you unplug it, but doesn't when your timer turns off, you need a different timer. It's not your solenoid. I have 20 dollar digital timers that I use, and they work great. Sometimes you gotta spend the money.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode