The Planted Tank Forum banner

Exo terra invert kit.

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SgtPeppersLHC 
#1 ·
I just got this
and I'm thinkin' dart frogs, a salamander or a praying mantis.
I was wondering, if it holds water/if I seal it, would a CRS or two be OK if I made a mini 'lake' for like a half land half water kind of deal?
I want to make it planted for sure and I'm considering a waterfall which would be there with or without the 'lake'. I don't really see room for the lake anyway but it was just a thought, maybe minus the shrimp it would work out fine.
Next question, will the compact top with a daylight linear compact florescent light be alright to grow moss (flame? maybe), a carpet (maybe UG?), and possibly crypts or something else, or will I need more? I have a few extra medium base bulb fixtures I could DIY onto it if necessary/beneficial.
Let me know any comments or suggestions you have.
Thanks in advance! :D

#4 ·
Ok I wasn't very crazy about the salamander anyway lol. Was just an option.
Ah thats true, the tree frogs at work do usually defecate in their water bowls. If anything I'll see how the CRS go when the time comes, if it doesn't work out I can always toss them in my RCS tank or start a new tank, not worried about interbreeding I think it would be cool if it happened.
For the whole mini lake sort of thing, how would I go about doing that? Can anyone here who has ever done anything like this before give me a few suggestions? Same goes for the waterfall lol.
Last but not least, lighting, anyone know if a linear CFL would suffice?
Sorry for the barrage of questions but I want to get things just right before I buy the little creatures.
I'll probably look around on google in the meantime to see if I can find answers there. :D

#5 ·
i think the Exo-Terra compact top for that will take up to a 26w cfl. That should be enough for a UG carpet. I just don't know how well they will hold water with extra silicone. I can try to find out tonight, the perks of having a friend who owns a reptile store that carries the full line of exoterra.

#9 ·
Well as of now I've stopped progress on the exo terra. It is somewhat done except for the planting and such but I have the clay background set up and the false bottom and substrate too.
A friend of mine worked at a pet store but it closed and everything was for sale.
He bought one of their reptile racks (4'L x ~7'H x 2'D) and he's only using two of the three tiers so I bought the other from him.
The specs for the tier I'm getting are 4'L x 2'D x 2'H.
It has dividers and I'll be housing a ball python in 2/3 of the tank leaving a 16"L x 2'D x 2'H tank for the darts.
I still have the exo terra and I may get a mantis for that.

#10 ·
What kind of plant could I use in a vivarium to make a wall of ivy/other such plant?
I was thinking like hydrocotyle leucophala or maybe sibthorpsides, but I want something that will stay relatively small, so I was also considering trying to get some nana petite as well.
Oh, probably didn't spell those correct but I was too lazy to look them up again so it was from memory.

#12 ·
I have already decided against a water option but thanks for the tips. I'll be going with thumbnail ranitomeya PDFs, specifically the ventrimaculata 'blackwater' species, so I think I should have room for two.
I made a decent looking clay background with a few cork ledges to add some more surface area and I've also got a sweet piece of manzanita in there too.
Right now just working on culturing some springtails and isopods (I may have failed miserably already) and getting the plants to grow.

Sent from my Droid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.