Riparium Supply - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Riparium Supply

Hello Everyone,

After many months of development, Riparium Supply is ready to open its doors. Our Website offers information on planting ripariums, a new concept, style and method for growing freshwater aquarium plants.

www.RipariumSupply.com

I am busy getting more content to load, so you will find that most of the links are not yet active, but the online store is operational. We currently offer several riparium planters along with a few related accessories. We are building our product line, so watch out for more offerings later on.

You can also visit my Weblog, for more detailed information about planted ripariums.

HydrophytesBlog.com

I will update the blog with many new pictures and experiences, as well as responses to questions & comments. Also look for more more updates on this thread as we continue to set up our Web content.

Regards,

Hydrophyte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I wouldn't call ripariums a new concept by any means. They just usually are not easy to make look good in most cases so people go either all land (Viv) or all water (aquarium)

Your hangers look like soap and toothbrush holder things they sell at home depot I never would have thought to use them to put plants in.

Hopefully your website becomes a nice way to get people merging the land and the water.

Good luck,
-Andrew
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I'm not sure why you're calling it riparium, the part land, part water tank is generally termed a paludarium.

And yeah, those hangers definitely are bathroom accessories, I know some people who use them as makeshift breeding traps.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have re-operationalized the term riparium, which nobody was really using anyway. If you look you will find just a few scattered references, mostly in other languages.

This is not the same thing as a paludarium. Paludariums include terrestrial and aquatic elements. In a riparium the terrestrial portion is only implied: the above-water portion of the composition is rendered with live plants.

Please read some more from the Website & blog. I will have more images and text loaded soon.

Regards,

Hydrophyte
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
The "About", "Articles" and "Support" links don't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am busy getting more content to load, so you will find that most of the links are not yet active, but the online store is
I just got my patent application filed yesterday at 3:30pm--an hour before my deadline. I am reconfiguring and loading more Web stuff at this moment, so check back for updates.

You can cosult the blog for more detailed information:

http://hydrophytesblog.com/

You can also find some descriptions on the (also needs updates) Web journal that I made describing a not-for-profit oriented project that we did a while back:

Rio Purificacion Biotope Riparium
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
The "About", "Articles" and "Support" links don't work.
Not for me either. Cool concept though

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

"Support" should be up now. I will have "About" ready in 1/2 hour.

Hydrophyte
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I have re-operationalized the term riparium, which nobody was really using anyway. If you look you will find just a few scattered references, mostly in other languages.

This is not the same thing as a paludarium. Paludariums include terrestrial and aquatic elements. In a riparium the terrestrial portion is only implied: the above-water portion of the composition is rendered with live plants.

Please read some more from the Website & blog. I will have more images and text loaded soon.

Regards,

Hydrophyte
I wouldn't say you re-operationalized the word, since there always was a strict definition in the hobby community of what it was/is but you are bringing ti back to life hopefully.

Good luck with getting them popular again, when done right they really are great looking. I figured I would give you some "challenge" to your ideas in a more friendly environment so when you get one of those random idiots emailing you telling you all you're doing is false and a sham you would already have had some of that experience :hihi

So if you're filing for patents that mean those are not just bought from Lowes, they sure remind me of that type of stuff but a bit cleaner per say.

-Andrew
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Right. I was taken off guard getting what seemed like a lot of grief all at once. To be candid, I am nervous, the economy is terrible and I have bet the proverbial farm on this.

Can you source any of your references for the term riparium? The definitions that I encountered--and there weren't many--amounted to "a paludarium with a waterfall feature". I don't think that this describes anything especially unique--being more like a variation of a paludarium design--and, as these kinds of designs are usually put together, are not very good representations of riparian habitats as they are generally recognized, the margins of rivers, lakes and streams. Rather, they are depictions of trickles on wet rock walls or spring seeps, and can obviously present very pleasing appearances and serve as good habitats for some kinds of plants and livestock.

So, given that the current uses of the word riparium are not very representative of riparian habitats and given that hardly anyone was using the term, most instead favoring paludarium and sometimes vivarium to describe similar kinds of displays, I propose that the term riparium represent "an aquarium display that emulates the aquatic and terrestrial aspects of a riparian habitat, including the plant and animal species that occur therein". To describe the types of displays that I have set up I would expand this with "the use of hanging and floating plant supports": since the display seeks to represent the very edge of the shoreline, it may not be necessary to represent the terrestrial part with a built structure, which could also take up a lot of room in the display enclosure.

The hanging planters probably are the same plastic cup accessory that you saw at Lowes, or something similar that is made by the same manufacturer. I had used those piece as my prototypes, but I found that they functioned very well for this application, so I entered into an agreement with the other company. I decided against trying to build molds for my designs that were to be manufactured with plastics injection molding.

Obviously, one could DIY the hanging planter easily enough, but after rounding up the associated items would probably find that it would have saved time and cost just a little bit more to purchase the Riparium Supply product. It would be inadvisable to resell those cups or anything very similar as a planted aquarium accessory, because that would be patent infringement.

Perhaps the discussion of semantics should be continued in another forum. I just wanted to post the link and see what people thought of the Website. I have loaded a couple more pages. I hope to build the blog much more too.

Regards,

Hydrophyte
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I wish you luck with the new endeavor, but I have to tell you when I saw the word riparium the first thing I thought of was dead fish (Rest In Peace-arium). Glad to see I was wrong. Seems like a cool idea.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks. I will need it.

That is an interesting observation. My first idea for a company/brand name was similar, but one person remarked that it looked too much like "reptile", and that that in turn made the swordtail logo graphic seem like a lizard.

I hope that riparium will function well. It enjoys the precedent of the word riparian. Both are from the Latin ripa, which means "edge" or "margin", and by extension, the bank or shoreline of a river or lake.

Hydrophyte
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Those tanks that you set up look great. The use of hanging baskets is neat and it seems to work well for you

-Chris

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks very much. i have gotten these looking pretty nice. i need to set up more display tanks: i only have two displays right now, and many more propagation aquariums.

they have a lot of nice features. they are much easier to set up and maintain than most paludarium designs. i would argue that their care and maintenance is usually also less demanding than for most traditional planted aquariums, especially high-light tanks. significantly, they present much fewer algae control problems. the most exciting aspect is that they provide a viable method for growing many kinds of plants that haven't really been kept in paludariums or planted aquariums before.

if you want to know more details, then go check out the blog and post a comment or question. better yet, be the first kid on your block with a riparium and place an order in the online store.

hydrophyte
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
The Hymenocallis is fabulous! Where can I learn about them, and their requirements? Where would one find plants like that?
What is it you are keeping as a substrate in the hanging cups? I am trying a sunset crypt as a marginal plant, hanging on the edge of my container pond in it's original basket.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode