FreeToPlay Fish Game - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
FreeToPlay Fish Game

Hey guys, Ive got a free to play browser fishing game up on the interwebs and thought you guys might be interested in it.

Enjoy!

drmillerlabs.org/ThePond/index.html

Feel free to message me on here or through the contact info on the site with any suggestions or comments.

Last edited by DrMiller357; 12-31-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: NewLink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Not bad, pretty intuitive, but not really that fun. :[

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha, thanks for the input, yea I should mention its in development. Im glad to hear people are trying it.

This game originated as a simulation, more or less a virtual aquarium. Something you can let run and evolve while your not looking.

Here are some things I plan on adding in the future.
-online leaderboard
-story mode
-chatroom for everyone playing

What do you think would make it more exciting? I would appreciate input from anyone. This is a hobby for me and I want to improve on it, any input good or bad helps.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
I played it a couple times now and here are my impressions

1. The controls on the dock seem a bit rough. My person was on the boat and I kept hit/holding space. I'm not sure what actually makes it go but I got the boat moving finally.

2. How do you catch a fish? I cast my line, a fish gets on, I lick the left mouse button/try to click it slowly closer, etc. I had three fish get away before I said screw this game.

It's VERY similar to a game I played as a kid maybe 20-25 years ago but not as polished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey my first bug report!

1. Hmm, the "get on boat" code only runs when you release the space bar, that might have been the problem, also I think it will prompt you to get on the boat before you are actually close enough to board.

I will make a glowing outline for the boat when you are near and have it go green when you are ready to board. That should make it a little more intuitive.

2. So heres how catching a fish is programmed: There is a random chance it will try to swim away every step(30 times a sec), the chance of this happening gets decreased as the fish gets tired. Every time you click the mouse the tension on the line increases and you make the fish more tired, if the tension gets to high the line breaks(The line goes from white to red). So you have to balance the tension on the line with how tired the fish is.

Once you catch a fish reel it in quickly until he is pointed in your direction, then let him swim to you without reeling. Once he starts to get his energy back reel in again. While your doing this you can drive your boat towards the fish to close the gap.

Hope this helps, now Iv'e got some work to do.

PS i cant help myself, this is comedy
I may have found your problem :P
Quote:
"I lick the left mouse button/try to click it slowly closer,"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha, didn't even notice I had done that

Edit: I remembered the name of the game with a little Google searching....The game was called Bass Class. For a fishing game, I was hooked on it as a kid.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/bass-class-28h

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
I lick the left mouse button/try to click it slowly closer.
BAHAHAHA the last act of a desperate man.

Last edited by greaser84; 12-30-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since you made me find that game I went ahead and installed a dos emulator, mounted a drive and installed the game Been about 20yrs so relearning all the controls is rough.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well why do you need that game if you have my new shiny(well..)supported game?! I love the look of the older games as well as the fact I'm only a few years older than it hahaha.

Bump: NEW UPDATE - Collectibles!

-You can now collect Algae bugs, Lilly Pads, and Rocks and place them where you like!

-Once you have caught some Algae Bugs your lure will automatically be baited with them the next time you cast.

Last edited by DrMiller357; 12-31-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: update
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMiller357 View Post
Well why do you need that game if you have my new shiny(well..)supported game?! I love the look of the older games as well as the fact I'm only a few years older than it hahaha.

Bump: NEW UPDATE - Collectibles!

-You can now collect Algae bugs, Lilly Pads, and Rocks and place them where you like!

-Once you have caught some Algae Bugs your lure will automatically be baited with them the next time you cast.

I caught a couple fish in your game after you explained how it worked. Although I never saw the line change colors...i just kept clicking.

I installed the other game because its nostalgic and yours is a very close copy. You should install the old game and play it. It might give you a couple cool ideas

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I can't comment on the game because I can't play it on my Kindle. But I know there are a lot of pole fishing games out there. Maybe you could create one about netting fish out of a tank instead. Make it so you have to use different net types and strategies to catch different fish. Bettas and snails are easy, but zebra danios and dwarf frogs are super hard.

Proud member of

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode