Amazing pictures of Planted Aquascapes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
If any of you guys want to see some Planted Tank Aquascapes that will make you want to tear down you tank and start over again, check this out...

Aquarium Design Group Picture Gallery

Especially the LIVE PLANT AQUARIUMS section!!

It did it for me. I'm going to completely redo my aquascape.

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 06:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
When i look at those pictures of the planted tanks, i think "That the kind of tank i will like to have", and then i realize i only got 1,2 wpg

I know that you can make a beautiful tank with low light, like the tank with vals, Crypts and java moss in the gallery, but i think that many of the beatiful plants require high light.

Gulf, good luck with your redo. Post some pics when done :P

- Glud
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 12:24 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Those people dont have money do they ?

What a great link that is Sam...
The homes and tanks showcased there are unreal !
I saw a tank in there that has large bunches of the D. diandra in the corners so now I know what its supposed to look like...I cant wait !! :hehe:

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Oh man, I could spend all day looking at those pictures. I saved every one of them and burned them to a CD to bring home to my wife (internet connection at home is VERY slow) and she flipped out. Just like you got to see your D. diandra's potential, she got to see the potential for a truly stunning planted aquascape display. Those houses are amazing.

I tell you, though, one of my favorite tanks was the tank in the office window, with no background, where they took shots of the Angelfish looking over the city skyline. That's just too cool. I've got a window overlooking a second story window in my office, maybe I'll stick a tank in the window and try to replicate the look on a somewhat smaller scale, hehe.

- Sam P -

Former Tank Journals:

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Buck, of course they don't have money, its not like you need it for displays like that... lol! I'd like to know how much they cost.

But, one thing I noticed (mostly in lots of the tanks in the beggining) is that they don't have an enormous variety of plants. I think one of the tanks had ALL grass-like plants, but it looked wonderful! Just when I thought I had all the plants chosen for my display, out the window that plan goes, thanks GulfCoast :hehe:! Great link!

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 04:05 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I gotta get foreground plants, I gotta get foreground , I gotta get , I gotta.....:hehe:
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 02:55 PM

That tank with all the grass is kool and would be so easy to do...
As a matter of fact that tank has givin me inspiration for the 56G that I am setting up...
Next stop...Lighting
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was actually planning to use several different foreground plants for my 55, but have decided to go with just all Echinodorus tenellus, like the one tank with discus... Then all I need is some alternathera, hygrophila willow, swords, rotala macranda, moneywort etc....

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:06 AM

where can i find some of these grassy foreground plants? all my trials with microsordium have ended with no growth and algae covered grasses? i have the light and co2. what kind of substrate? i never tried with sand on top, only flourite before
would that be too corse for the grassy roots? will my new home depot sand be helpful?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Most planted tank hobbyists run in to the same problem that Tropical Fish Hobbyists run into - they are unable to resist the temptation buy every species that strikes them as beautiful. Look at every beginner's Tropical Fish tank. They've got one of everything. One of this tetra, one of that, one swordtail, one angel, one clown loach, etc. and not only do these fish do poorly as single specimens, they don't look near as good as they do in large groups.

Same with plants. When I first got started in planted tanks, I bought a new plant every week. They all looked so beautiful and I wanted to try them all! Now that my tank has been running for three years, it is time to get more organized. I'm getting rid of some of the more fast-growing weeds and keeping only a smaller variety (but larger sampling) of more difficult/slow growing plants.

My favorite grass has been E. tennulus, by far. Its rapid growth and dense growth makes it one of the easiest foregrounds. I'm definitely going to try a riccia foreground soon, in a 20g long tank that I'll set up in our living room (wife has OK'd the idea!).

- Sam P -

Former Tank Journals:

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 03:01 PM

That gras-only tanks look cool. But wat plants are used? As far as i can see it is E. tenellus, but it could be Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. This is just great inspiration for how i should set up my tank when i get some more light. Gulf, thanks for posting the link.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:55 PM

The way my Riccia is growing it wont be long before it has covered the entire front of my tank... Im allready scrambling trying to keep it in an orderly fashion but it is some crazy stuff. Its like a nice pillow...Once it matures and gets its "stems" it aint bad but the new growth(and lots of it) it is so fine and delicious to my fish that they make a huge mess with it... I guess they like salad before they eat too !
:hehe:
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:03 PM

is riccia hard to grow? i found a whole journal devoted to it:

(quote)
From the beginners to the fanatics, Riccia Fluitans is a very much sought after plant because of its sheer beauty. During photosynthesis, Riccia can sometimes produce up to thousands of fine oxygen pearls which never fail to excite the senses. Because of the beautiful effect it produces during photosynthesis, it has been appropriately named "The night of the thousand stars" of the Orient.

Riccia can be adjectives that soften your statements in planting, or make them sparkle! Their distinct forms when planted submerged and their characteristic suggest a diverse range of uses within our aquascapes; as ground cover, as specimen plants, or in association with other feature plants, they invariably have a significant impact in any underwater garden situation. Whenever Riccia Fluitans are introduced into the aquascape, they inspire a dream-like feeling of serenity. Their texture are delicate, often in contrast to other aquatic plants with which they may be associated.

In this volume, we will provide you with fascinating insights, secrets and tips to growing this unique plant, the journal will address questions that concern the successful cultivation of Riccia Fluitans and introduce you to the latest layouts that make the best use of this high light plant. Rather than going through trial and error before you get it right, the techniques revealed will probably save you a great deal of time.

this was on http://www.vectrapoint.com where they list a bunch of journals amano wrote
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking at the cichlid tanks makes me consider giving up on starting a planted tank!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 05:40 PM

But Barristan....the fun of keeping plants is half the enjoyment for me! (trimming sucks though...LOL.....)

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode