live aquarium video/voice conference - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
live aquarium video/voice conference

How would you like to talk live by voice and video to fellow aquarium hobbyists and your internet forum buddies, see everyones aquarium live, and speak to a recognized expert? I am organizing such an event via Skype. You need the following:

internet broadband connection, (DSL, cable)
Skype internet phone service
internet video camera
a microphone or internet headset

Skype is an intertnet phone service that is super easy to use, and very cheap. I pay a whooping 3 dollars per month for unlimited calling. I think the rate iis now 6 dollars a month for new subscribers. I got a headset for 20 dollars from Amazon, and a video camera for 30 dollars. If you do not have a video camera, you can still be in on the conference call for voice only.

The first conference will be on low tech planted aquariums, and hopefully there will be at least one surprise guest.

How it works:

You get on my Skype friends list and become part of the “group”. At the determined time I initiate the group call and every group member is called at the same time. Once each person has picked up the call everyone is live and the conference begins. There will be a few rules for everyone to follow to keep the discussion in order and give everyone an opportunity to speak or ask a question. We will do a trial call first to see how it all works.

How to join

To get started, email me with your Skype “name” to be added to my Skype friends list and group. I will email you further instructions. Meet new and old friends in a more personal way, learn how to make your hobby more sucessful, see how others do it, and talk live to experts! Recorded voice versions of the conference will be available to group members after the call. Please email me at [email protected] to get this started! We need at least ten people. The target date for the first broadcast is September 25th, so lets get going! Feel free to post this on any other web site.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Got a time in mind on that date? I see you're a west coast guy so depending on the time of day us east coasters may be sleeping.

Can we still join the low tech conference if we have a hi-tech tank? I'm sure the answer is yes but wanted to ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I would deffinitely be interested in something like this. Should be alot of fun. Would there be somesort of time table/topics for it? I have Skyped with a group and it gets a little interesting/hectic at times.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Hey! Sounds amazing! Hope I can join

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

on a saturday afternoon, early. 2 people signed up, we need 8 more! This will be an ongoing even, at least once a month depending on how many people are interested.

Yes, there will be a structure to it and some simple rules to follow. I will give more information later.

Robert Paul Hudson

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Sign me up!
Email sent.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Robert a Google+ hangout may be easier to do and cheaper (free), if all the members of the chat can get into that as well.

It sounds like an interesting idea, and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

-Andrew
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
It's free to make sype calls to pc's and conference or whatever, it's just Phone calls that cost money.

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Actually if you subscribe to their monthly service, you get unlimited calling to anyone for the monthly fee, you can call anyone at no charge. I pay three dollars a month. I would be making the group call to everyone, so if there was any charge for the calls, I would be the one paying for it, not anyone else. It doesn't use a phone, only your computer. You just need a microphone and a speaker. If you have a laptop, your computer should have a mike and a speaker. If you don't have this, all you need is a headset that plugs into a USB port. You download the software from Skype. It sets up in minutes. A five year old could do it. Is there anyone here that cannot afford 3 to 6 dollars a month for Skype? They even take paypal.

We have three or four people so far.

Robert Paul Hudson

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
sent an email, sign me up, It sound like fun. I think that perfect background is your tank when you are talking on skype. (I hope I can pull that off myself)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
How's this going Robert? Did we get enough people?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
I'll hop on the bandwagon for this...but i live in Japan and will be moving to Korea next march. I would like to see how this work out for me.

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

OK, we don't have enough people to do this the way I wanted to do it, so I'm putting it on hold for now. I kept everyones email.

Robert Paul Hudson

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Just saw this post for the first time right now. Hoping this can still happen. I would think tons of people would hop on this right away.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
email sent

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode