Ebay "Use Tax" - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Ebay "Use Tax"

Has anyone who buys aquatic organisms from eBay without sales tax come across a "use tax" warning after payment?

"If Pennsylvania sales tax was not collected on this purchase, you may be required to remit use tax directly to the Commonwealth. For more information about your use tax obligations, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue at the link below.
Pennsylvania Use Tax"

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/GeneralTa...dividuals.aspx

I recently bought 50 ramshorn snails (10 breeding size and 40 juveniles) for $18.00 + free priority shipping from a seller in Missouri on eBay. No sales tax was collected ($1.08). My dad says not to worry about the use tax. Is he right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @Cambrian Creature,

Your Dad is likely correct, it is extremely unlikely the state will pursue you for $1.08. That said, if major purchases are done online or if multiple medium size purchases are done the state may ask for the sales / use tax.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is what I thought even though it caught me off guard. I just have to watch my transactions until July 1.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2019/01/04/ebay-starts-collecting-sales-tax-with-more-states-to-come/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Technically it would be against the law for a buyer to not pay sales tax on online purchases if they live in a state which has sales tax. Fortunately for you and unfortunately for online sellers, most states are going after the sellers from out of state versus going after each individual citizen of their state.

If it were me as a buyer in a state with sales tax I would certainly not being paying it, unless as Roy said, it was a very large purchase. Even then its fairly unlikely they'd ever come after you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
While I certainly like to follow the rules, there are some times when it is not possible and this may be one of those. I'm betting the state has no system set for you to pay this amount and there may, in fact, be a minimum purchase. Certainly not expert legal advice but I would tend to ignore it as being more trouble to both you and the state than actual value. Collecting that amount will cost several hundred!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
While I certainly like to follow the rules, there are some times when it is not possible and this may be one of those. I'm betting the state has no system set for you to pay this amount and there may, in fact, be a minimum purchase. Certainly not expert legal advice but I would tend to ignore it as being more trouble to both you and the state than actual value. Collecting that amount will cost several hundred!
Ignoring for the moment the reality that virtually nobody actually does it (other than maybe for major purchases like a car, etc.), the set system to pay the tax is your annual state tax return. There's a specific line to report unpaid use taxes. Typically there is no minimum and the filing requirement applies even if you have no need to file a state return otherwise. But again that's all technically not realistically.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Almost certainly a state-by-state question and I have not heard the term before and would assume it is not a local question.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
Since it's just a tiny amount, pay it with your annual return as others have suggested. Most tax sites and software/apps make it easy. Tax legality aside - audits are no fun. And it's a good habit to be in the mindset of keeping track of matters like this.

(Beyond that, probably a good idea to make sure the snails you transported across state lines are okay/not considered pests. Considered pests in some territories. Now that you have them, it should be fine but it may not be fine to transport them again or allow them to leave your tank.)
Fishly likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 AM
Planted Member

In WA state which doesnt have a yearly state tax they passed a law last year that requires all out of state sales to collect a use tax. If they do not then they are required to contact the person with whom they did business and inform them of the total amount of sales for the year. This is there only required obligation. Then the end user is suppose to submit a form to the state with the a check or pay online the use tax for the amount they spent that year from said business.

Also required by law the said business if is to submit to the state a total amount of non taxed purchases, basically so they can bounce that off what you pay from the yearly invoice that the business sent to you.

Thats WA state, others may vary. They will get there money one way or another.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode