A comprehensive beginner friendly guide to planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes
  • 33 Post By Xiaozhuang
  • 2 Post By burr740
  • 2 Post By Vallisneria
  • 2 Post By awknits
  • 2 Post By irishspy
  • 2 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 2 Post By OreoP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang
A comprehensive beginner friendly guide to planted tanks

I created this site recently to consolidate various aspects of the planted hobby in a tiered guide - with easy to understand sections for beginners and more advanced sections for experienced aquarists.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

Various topics are covered; from growing specific plants to tuning carbon dioxide levels in the planted tank.

Regards, Dennis [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 04-27-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: changed title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:55 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (118/100%)
You did a really great job with that, Dennis. It's going to help tons of folks no doubt. It's already helped me!
Xiaozhuang and Xiaozhuang like this.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:19 PM
Algae Grower

This is a great resource for a returning fish keeper like me. Thanks for sharing your experience!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 PM
Algae Grower

I will enjoy reading through this as I'm working on my new tank. Thanks. The site looks very nice and very helpful too.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bookmarked and digging in.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
@Xiaozhuang this is a great article for sure!

Spent an hour or so sorting through your material there.

The challenge is to get others to read it and believe it.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Really appreciate the content. Thank you and I am sure more folks will find it as useful as I have!!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Algae Grower

Wow. I wish I had found this earlier. Looks like a great guide, I'll be digging through it. Thanks for sharing this!

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Planted Member

Thank you so much, this is so useful! I have it bookmarked to share. It can be so difficult to find good, detailed information on this variety of topics in one place, especially for someone totally new to this hobby.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Bookmarking this one, will be doing some light nighttime reading! Thanks for your efforts!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

|

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Websites and light manufacturers that try to market their lights as having more PUR are nothing more than a marketing gimmick as PUR is neither linearly measurable and is plant specific.
Ohhh "snap"..

Anyways, and certainly didn't read through the whole thing but ..some "branches" to follow in the future? MAY have missed some of these so apologies in advance..

Algae spores require free ammonia to germinate. Goes along w/ the clean tank/removal of dead senescent leaves/plant tissue

DLI is important to understand.. and it's implications:
Quote:
Daily light integral (DLI) describes the number of photosynthetically active photons (individual particles of light in the 400-700 nm range) that are delivered to a specific area over a 24-hour period.
Maybe eventually more specifics on controlling groups of algae, like the red vs green. My current interest when I found the action spectrum for red algae is REALLY different..
absorption spectra is "normal" but apparently has little use for chlorophyll..

Excellent writeup and obvious labor of love btw..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Ohhh "snap"..

Anyways, and certainly didn't read through the whole thing but ..some "branches" to follow in the future? MAY have missed some of these so apologies in advance..

Algae spores require free ammonia to germinate. Goes along w/ the clean tank/removal of dead senescent leaves/plant tissue

DLI is important to understand.. and it's implications:

Maybe eventually more specifics on controlling groups of algae, like the red vs green. My current interest when I found the action spectrum for red algae is REALLY different..
absorption spectra is "normal" but apparently has little use for chlorophyll..

Excellent writeup and obvious labor of love btw..

haa thanks Jeff... if you have any data or information that you think should be integrated into the site but isn't there you can send it to me

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode