New layout for my design website - IC3D - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I APPROVE 9 81.82%
I DON'T LIKE IT 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
New layout for my design website - IC3D

What do ya think? This will be goin on www.ic3d.net homepage!

Comments welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think that looks really hip.

The Panic grabbed my leg, you know, it dragged me in.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemwinder View Post
I think that looks really hip.
Thanks a bunch! I've been getting a lot of positive feedback on this design.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
IT SUCKS!!!

J/k, looks good.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Honestly, it looks cheap. Like something you whipped up in 15 minutes. If you're representing yourself as a design firm, your website better look damn good. It needs to make the potential customer think, "damn, I want my site to look like that!" Yours doesn't invoke that feeling for me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I'm liking the style but it seems a bit patchy right now and lacking some flow. I'd get rid of the IC3D logo thing on the right side because it just seems wrong and throws off your scale etc, and I would think about putting the background wave graphics thing a bit higher up and making it go around the nav bar, that'd look really neat.

Either way it does look good, web design is tough.
-Andrew
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Honestly, it looks cheap. Like something you whipped up in 15 minutes. If you're representing yourself as a design firm, your website better look damn good. It needs to make the potential customer think, "damn, I want my site to look like that!" Yours doesn't invoke that feeling for me.
Um, that design did not take 15 minutes, and it doesn't look like it either.

Honestly, nothing personal towards you, but clients and people who make these comments about graphic designs really end up angering people like IC3D and myself off. Unless you are in the business (if you are, alright), you really have no concept of the length of time it takes to create graphics. Making a comment such as this, usually shows lack of experience in the field. Add the 3D work, with the multiple layers, then making sure the navigation bar is properly spaced, then the highlight and shadowing work, and you have hours of time invested.

What you are failing to see is the finished product, which involves the coding aspect of the site. You only see a flat 2D design that you can not feel or "play" with. That being said, I can show you multiple websites that you would probably think "looked" cheap, that really cost $25,000 and up in design fees alone. That doesn't even include the added costs of a custom shopping cart, copy-writing, and professional photographers. I have personally worked on these myself. And a lot of the websites out there are just crappy templates that someone downloaded for $39.95, or even worse, they have coding it themselves without researching what code works for one browser, but messes up in another browser, which really makes a site look cheap.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I personally like softer looks, and some of your lines look a bit too sharp to me. But that's my opinion. My other issue is the faces in the design (not the top bar or the big one). I find it mars the overall appearance, a bit over the top...

But for the most part, I really like it. Simple, elegant, and not distracting.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
The 0.o faces are okay for me but the IC3D logo doesn't seem to fit in with everything else.

:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I can see you have talent. I notice a lot of pleasing elements, the logo and the O.o face which I think is cool and cute. But this layout comes out looking too much like those generic website templates.

Please don't make a fixed resolution either. It would be nice if the layout can expand and contract...since netbooks have gain in popularity in recent. Many people, including me, use them more often than their desktop. And the reso is only 800x600 in most (LOL). Now, more and more are going online with their smartphones as well.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think it looks great man I'm pretty picky about how sites look, if it doesn't appeal to my eye, I probably won't go back. I would definitely come back to yours how it looks so far.
There are obviously others with a more professional opinion, mine is from your average surfer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode