pictures host?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/96%)
pictures host??

my picture host website went out of commission, does anyone know a good and free picture host website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I really love flickr! - http://www.flickr.com

Also, many people use photobucket.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
imageshack.us.

I've seen many photos from other websites like photobucket and flickr go away. which is annoying and it especially happens in older entries. They just don't work. I've never seen an image from imageshack that went away which is why I use them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
One host that many people forget is their ISP. Most ISP accounts give you some space for a personal web page or for storage.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
No offense Sandie, from this side I dislike Imageshack. It seems like photos from users hosting with them take three times as long to load as from other sites, almost as if their servers are severely overloaded.

I suspect the reason the Photobucket images "go away" is because it's so easy to move the photos around among different directories. You move them or re-name them, you change the URL and thus break the link. I try to resist the temptation of moving stuff in my directories as I know I've got many of them posted on forums.

Rex is absolutely correct, just about everybody has space available with their ISP although depending on what software you decide to use to upload your photos, you may need to be a bit tech savvy to do that.

Personally I like www.photobucket.com, although one thing they don't have which I wish they did is space for an involved photo description. Captions only. I believe that www.webshots.com does have that however.

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've never had a picture disappear from Photobucket in the 4+ years I've held the account. Granted, I don't keep many photos on my account, possibly only a few dozen at a time.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
They don't disappear from photobucket and flickr, people just move them or delete them and break the links. This is user error, not anything to do with the software.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've been using Photobucket for quite a long time. I currently have 535 pictures and 7 videos (five over 30MB) on my account. The only time I have a problem is, of course, when the site goes down. Other than that it's simply copy and paste the image tags into your post and you have a posted picture!

Heck the oldest picture in there was uploaded the day after I graduated, nearly 3 years ago.

Did I mention it was free? Yeah, can't beat that.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Photobucket is easy.

I'd not use my ISP any more than I'd give y'all my email address. But yep, it's certainly an option.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use my own internet connection. Setup a server on your lan, turn on IIS (web hosting software built into Win2k3 Server). Register for free domain name using Dyndns.org.

Never have to worry about broken links unless I delete the pics, which I don't do. Been doing that for years!

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/96%)
wow, there's a lot more options out there but photo bucket it is! thanks everyone

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode