any homemade dog food recipes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
any homemade dog food recipes?

The idea came up a while ago and I just thought of It again tonight. Does anybody out there make their own food for their dogs? I would like to feed them the healthiest I possibly could. They were not really a fan of Blue buffalo unfortunatly. Any recipes that people feed their pups would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've feed BARF for about 13 years now. Like many people I started because you just can't feed a cancer dog, a diabetic and a renal failure dog(s) out of a bag. I believe I cheated death from 12 to 18mos on each of those dogs by feeding RAW.

I've raised my current dogs 3 & 8 yrs since they were 8wks old on RAW food.

Cooking for dogs defeats most of the reason not to buy kibble.

In feeding B.A.R.F (Bones and Raw Food) we don't feed on a daily model week feed on a weekly model. In that I mean I don't worry about X% of protein, Fat or fiber each day. I look art that on a weekly basis.

Some need to know stuff

All Veggies & fruit should be ground up...dogs don't have long enough intestinal track to effectively use most veggie.

HEALTHY dogs don't have a problem with samminella.

Cooked fat is very hard for a dog's system to process and they need more fat than people do.

Raw bones are safe as they don't splinter, that does not mean we don't monitor so they don't choke on small pieces.

Raw eggs are fine, the shell has apps 200omg of CA. so feed the shell too.

Some grains like Oats & Whole brown rice are good, things like corn, wheat or soy are know allergens.

Yogurt & goat milk are good in moderation.

Gallic in very small doses is thought to repel fleas.

The smartest way to do this is with a group of friends so you can buy in bulk and get everyone looking.

For two/three big dogs I make a large batch & freeze 1/2. I keep a box in the freezer with 30days of frozen in it rotating it as I feed.

So the dogs eat fresh for a day or two then, they get the oldest frozen in the freezer. Basically a 30 file of frozen food. That way I only prepare Raw food 2-3Xs a week.

And yes, it is more work that opening a bag of Kibble. The trade off is very healthy dogs. My Rotty is 8 1/2 and I can honestly say never has had loose stool.

This is my 3 1/2 Catahoula raised since 8 wks on raw...not a gram of fat on this boy

post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I ate raw once and felt better than I ever did my whole life. It was vegetarian of course but it works. Lost weight, felt great, more energy. I slipped and started eating SAD again and now I crashed and am having a hard time getting back up. Thinking about going raw again, at least 75% raw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There are a few curve balls to watch out for red potatoes, Idaho, etc must be cooked. Sweet potatoes & yams can be servers RAW. The first group is a different family of tuber.

Nuts not good for dogs but, peanuts are legume and they are fine.

No pits or seeds.

Brown rice should be cooked then in the food processor or most of it goes straight through the dog.

Oat can be given uncooked or cooked. Uncooked is best it you grind it into powder in a coffee grinder, You can add that top a mix if it's too soupy.

I never give bones before any hard exercise as they take longer to digest.
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I cooked for the dogs. Sassy had kidney disease and ate boiled chicken and white rice for 3.5 years or so. She looked so smug, finally I had gotten it right. The supplements to balance that overcooked food cost as much as the actual food but she liked it and her blood tests never got very bad. Too bad I wasn't brave enough to feed raw at that point, she would have been even happier!

Max eats 'prey model raw', bony meat, boneless meat and some organs with a whole rabbit, fish or baby lamb/goat every once in a while. He does get loose stool sometimes because I overfeed organ and STILL give him too much food sometimes but am not sure why that is such a big deal, I have a back yard after all. I love feeding him this way and would hate to have to cook for him again. It is so much easier than cooking. You should have seen the kitchen when I put up a month's worth of Sassy's meals. Rice goo every where and Sassy trying to get into the chicken bones. Every large pan in the house in use. Yuck. Smelled good though!

If I was forced to cook I would hope to use Lew Olson's low glycemic plan. 75% meat, fish, egg, organ, dairy with 25% pureed veggies like zucchini, celery, cabbage and leafy greens. I would be sure to use about an ounce of liver per pound of meaty stuff and add in 1/2-1 tsp of powdered egg shell per pound of meats. And mostly red meats - chicken is cheap but not as high in minerals and vitamins as red meat like beef, lamb and pork. And if you are cooking it you have to throw away those bones too.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter.../low-glycemic/

Benefits? Sassy ate, that is a biggie with a kidney dog. She had had life long anal sac back ups and on cooked food they nearly stopped. On kibble I had to express them monthly but on cooked food I needed to express them once in 3.5 years. Really don't know why. Her cooked food was chicken and rice, same as most of the kibbles she ate for 13.5 years, fiber was only 2%. Max lost half the weight he gained on my overfeeding and the rest turned to muscle. A senior dog gaining muscle? I was very pleased, on his own he has decided to jump off his rear, never could before. His fur is twice as thick and shiny now. He is more sensible now, used to be overwhelmed and not be able to settle down and now he is better at it. I found out those slightly gunky eyes weren't from dirt, he reacts a bit to wheat.

Do it. Get a chicken or a package of cheap ground beef, put into a pan with some water and 25% veggies by raw weight and cook through. Bone it and blend the mush or just break it up and mix with that egg shell. Feed all the fat and water if your dog tolerates fat. You can just put a bit into the kibble as a nice topper right now. A 50 pound dog gets about a pound by raw weight of the stuff per day then you feed more or less depending on the dog's condition.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do like the concept of prey model but rational that wild canids eat like that, so our dogs should, while romantic skips over two very important points.

A). The only dogs that get even close to the exercise a Coyote or wolf does each day would be racing mushing dogs. Wild canids run all day and only stop to gorge feed, sleep it off & run again. Wolves have huge territories to run & hunt. Wild dogs also do not eat everyday.

B). Wild canids do not have a long life expectancy 5-7 years. Once they can not run with the pack, they are finished.

That's why I think BARF makes more sense. I range from 25% protein to 100% during the week depending on what I'm doing with the dogs. I use more starchy foods Sweet potatoes, yams, plantains, brown rice, squash, pumpkin before heavy training like Mountian biking or swimming. For recovery/rest days I use more meat & bones. I also fast my dogs. Twice a month for a day.

I'm a big fan of Green tripe for my dogs, they get that once a week. I get that frozen either straight tripe or in a mix with organ meat & trachea/guttelt.

A good way to monitor the diet is the stool.
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I suspect wild dogs run until they catch food and only run when they need to eat again. If a coyote is only catching gophers then he might be hunting 3-5x a day, if rabbits maybe 1-2x a day. No point in wasting energy just racing around. California coyotes probably don't need to run much to fill their bellies.

Max was eating veggies until one memorable poop. The extremely well cooked and pureed pumpkin dollop he got about 3.5 years ago came through completely unchanged. I dropped it then. I attribute his improvement in temperament to lower blood sugar fluctuation because of the low carb diet. He came here a jittery nervous dog who actually worked himself into seizures as a youngster and after a month with no more pumpkin he was noticeably calmer. He had been eating raw for 6 months at that point and it was only after the veggies/grains were completely gone that he was calmer.

Mostly he eats a fairly normal amount of food and even when offered a 5 pound big meal he won't eat more than ~2x the normal now. We are gorge fails here and I never did try fasts as he was a frequent bile vomit offender on kibbles which is often attributed to an empty tummy. He has been known to make 4-5 days worth of goat kid last 4 days. He isn't quite a self regulating eater but now considers whether he wants to eat more or not. Could be his age, he is nearly 12 now. His normal is 10-11ounces, yesterday he got a small turkey leg and bit of lamb liver that added up to about 16 ounces and today he will be getting 4-5 ounces of ostrich trim and 4-5 ounces of cooked ground beef because this is agility class day. Max wished he got green tripe more often but my supplier only sells it if a box of bones is also purchased and I don't want to take up room in the freezer with bare bones. I ask all my relatives to make a detour to Hollister on their way down here to pick up from greentripe.com but somehow they never manage it. Hwy 25 is such a nice alternative to Hwy 101 too.

Agree, about the bones and exercise. Max eats after class/walks and the all important mail carrier announcing gig.

I use NRC numbers and check his diet every so often as best I can to be sure he is getting it all in - not a fan of the romantic dogs are wolves line at all. That meat, bone and organ give him what he needs! I give him a mulitmineral supplement, a bit of zinc, vitamin E and fish oil to complete the diet as of course he isn't getting the skin and fur or all the internal organs and blood most of the time.

Max did fine on kibble, ate it happily and wasn't a stinky dog. He had too frequent bile upchucks in the morning [keep forgetting about how he single pawedly ruined the carpet], nasty sticky undercoat, wasn't very strong, super nervous and a bit of goop in eyes and ears is all. I had no idea that a different diet could change any of that. I know diet isn't medicine and cannot cure all but the right diet for YOUR dog can make a difference! I am very glad I was in a position to start feeding fresh food to the dogs and I hope anybody with dogs tries feeding some fresh food. Even a raw bit of bony meat a week will clean teeth nicely. Try a couple of BBQ type beef ribs or a pig foot sometime. Mix an egg, canned fish or stewed meat into the kibble every once in a while.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've had the opportunity to see Wolves in the wild in Northern Quebec, Jackels in South Africa and Coyotes her in the Midwest. They all are lean muscle & bone. Actually the Coyotes & Jackels are a bag of bones. No, they are not running for the joy of running but they are constantly moving unlike the ave. American pet dog that sleeps on the couch for 18 hrs a day. There are plenty of scientific studies of Radio collared wild dogs that concur with my personal observations.

To be clear, I'm talking about WILD DOGS, not quasi-tame coyotes that live around people and a almost tame from people feeding them. Of Dog/Yote crosses.

The one observation really impressed me was flying over a wolf pack in a Float plane. As we approached they had already bee running full out. We thought they were Caribou on the horizon when we saw them. They continued as we flew over and we still running full out as we left. A not at the pace of a Sled team, more like greyhounds sprinting...it was amazing.

I completely agree that while raw is across the board better diet for our dogs and humans. Our dogs are individuals and as good dog owners it's important to make adjustments to their individual requirements. Not just for dogs with health issues.

My two current dogs are very healthy. The Rotty has to be watched with large bones as she can easily split a femur bone and will happily swallow large PCs. She does better with Ribs as she crunches them up.

My Catahoula has a bit of a dairy intolerance. A litt goat milk or Yogurt is fine I just need to watch how much.

The Catahoula just got his CA title for lure coursing (pic above) we're working toward CAX. He doesn't run well on a heavy Meaty Bone meal. I bike him 6-8 mi. in training . So I make adjustments as needed.

The Catahoula is 10#s lighter than the Rotty but the Rotty eats a 1/3 less food. She's 8 1/2 and I take metabolism into acct. People think she's 3 when they see her.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
So with all these comments im kind of lost here lol. I understood the comment it is pretty much pointless to cook ( atleast thats what i registered it as ) but what would you recommend is the best to feed to my dogs, i should probably describe them first. I have 2 the first is Toby, hes around 11 years old and hes a rescue ( forgot to add in that hes majority chow and the rest welsh terrier ). he has a bit of a dental problem where he is starting to lose his teeth. he is as active as could be with a bit of arthritis in his hips but he has days where he runs around and chases Cosmo the havanese that we aquired from my sister ( she had to get rid of him because he snapped at my nephew ) cosmo is about 6 years old and runs around constantly.

So out of the info given to me in your comments it seems a raw diet provided by BARF is a good way to go, sorry im a bit confused and have questions im trying to the best i can seeing i take care of them but im at college 9 hours a day plus practice.

Is it okay to all of a sudden change them from their alpo/newman organic to a raw diet from BARF?
And how could I get the food, only online or do you think a local store may carry?
How is it prepared, and in what distributions per weight?
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I recommend you read this site fist http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

The only thing I buy prepared is Green Tripe. Everything else I do myself. I have a friend that owned a Holistic dog/Cat food store. My dogs aren't real excited about some of the frozen RAW foods samples we've tried. And my dogs are NOT fussy.

After you read that site link, I'll be happy to answer specific questions.

I was curious in the OP you said you didn't care for Blue Buffalo? I read that label at a friends house that raves about that food. Looked like it had good stuff in there.
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)
1 cat
2 gallons water
3 cubes beef bulion

mix water and bullion, heat to luke warm
soak cat in mixture
dry cat
feed!
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That BARF diet is really bone heavy, aren't BARFers using less bone these days? 38 pound Max needs just about 1 gram of calcium a day which is a single 3 ounce chicken neck or 1.5 chicken feet. Max has always been a good chicken foot eater but necks are swallowing hazards. A swallowed neck might not be digested so the dog gets no good out of it at all.

Any who. Amounts. Look at the link of my cooked diet, 2% of your dog's weight to start out. A 50 pound dog starts with about a pound of raw wet food [if you use dry grains cook them before weighing out].

An actual recipe I made up but never fed as it had far more phosphorus and not nearly enough calories than Sassy could have been comfortable eating was this one. Add in a couple ounces of beef liver and it would be an excellent long term diet with occasional eggs and fish of some sort. Just use any other low calorie veggie and any other meat you like. It would serve my 38 pound senior citizen for 5 days. The calcium/phosphorus isn't good, needs a lot more of both so using bone meal would be better. You could cook it or just cook the broccoli or puree the raw broccoli. I liked to put the meat into a large pan and sizzle the meat until it smelled good, dump in a quart of water and the chopped veggies, bring to a boil and just cook through. Veggies need to be cut very small and cooked until soft or they tend to come out the same way they went in. You can use a stick blender to make a mush but my dogs prefer a chunky soup. Since the amount of water and how much evaporates is a variable I divide meals by weight. A big pain that probably isn't as important when feeding healthy dogs.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2090125/2

Both dogs transitioned a little at a time the same way you change kibbles but going to raw it is a shorter transition to just do it.

I used to just buy from the grocery store, especially hitting the clearance bin first thing in the morning, but now that Max has his own freezer I buy odd bits from a meat packer in 10-20 pound boxes. Storage is an issue, you need to buy lots when you find good deals but I could fit 20 pounds of mashed food baggies in less than one shelf of my freezer and did so for over a year.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Kathyy - You can increase calcium with things like Egg Shells, Broccoli, Sardines, Yogurt if you don't want to be bone heavy.

The great thing about homemade no matter which way you choose to make it is we control the diet to fit our individual dogs.
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 Great Danes fed raw here. Lamb necks and turkey necks fed frozen so that they are forced to chew off pieces rather than swallow large chunks. I grind pretty much all other meat just for ease, and to stop them from wolfing it down whole. I likely wouldn't have to if there was only 1 dog, but with 2 its a race. I cannot believe the immediate difference (within 3 days) in their coat and skin when I switched to raw from a premium dry food. Also feed raw veggies during my own dinner prep, or leftover cooked veg, some fruit, egg, yogurt. The other benefit to raw is in their behavior. They both come running as fast as they can when I call them in.....because I might have meat And clean-up is minimal, poops are sooo small, there was one dry food I fed that I swear had more coming out than they ate, tells me they got nothing out of it.
Raise yer paw for raw!
Edit: Canned pumpkin too

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I don't do BARF, but I bake or boil my old baby's food.

She gets either depending on occasion...:
leg of lamb (baked)
whole chicken (steamed)
chicken thighs (baked)
chicken liver, gizzards, and hearts (boiled)
turkey thigh or drumstick (baked)
pork shoulder butt (boiled)
beef ribeye steak or beef shank (baked)
ahi tuna (boiled)

Fat and and skin removed.

Boiled peas and carrots, sometimes I add rice.

I also add 2000mg high EPA Omega-3 fish oil, 1 tablet Cosequin DS with MSM, 1/4tsp of Tumeric to each meal.

I also let her free feed on 2 cups of Wellness Super5Mix Lamb, Barley and Salmon. She free feed because she never eats it all at one sitting and eats her dry food at the most random times! And it doesn't matter cuz I only feed her the good stuff once a day, the rest of the day she has to go feed herself...

And no she WILL NOT eat any canned food, even if it supposedly contains a lot of real meat in it. If it don't or smell like the real unprocessed deal she won't eat it, which is why I gotta cook her foods!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode