New Here — Hello - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mickmac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Here — Hello

Just joined here and looking forward to being and learning here. I just bought a used 17 gallon rimless tank (ADA 60-P) and my head is swimming from trying to figure out filtration, lighting, etc. My goal is to come up with a low tech set-up that is relatively simple/easy to successfully maintain with plants and ultimately a school or two of tiny fish. I have had FW and marine tanks in the past, but not for a long time so I’m excited to learn about new and improved methods and equipment. Thanks for having me here.
Roboto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 12:01 AM
Algae Grower

Welcome! Keep on reading. I guess what is first is to figure out what you want to do, and that's hard!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 06:41 AM
Algae Grower

Hello,
yeah, it can be overwhelming. Ive' had aquariums since grade school, and things have changed a lot. I went over 10 years before getting back in to this hobby, and got overloaded trying to catch up.

Sounds like you have an idea of what you want, that's half the battle. The fauna might determine what type of plants and set-up you end up with. I read a statement, on here I think, where someone said - do you want a planted tank with fish, or a fish tank with plants. You can definitely have both, but it helps if they are close to the same requirements. The more forgiving the plants and critters are, the more room you have for trial and error.

I'm impressed every time I get on these forums, by the knowledge and experience I read on here.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Tanks
75, 2 - 55s, a 20 long, and 2 ten gallons - as well as an old claw foot, cast iron tub converted to goldfish pond

Critters
Fish - Glolight Danios, Dwarf Gouramis, Chili Rasboras, Kubotai Rasboras, Tuxedo Guppies, Otocinlus and goldfish
Invertebrates - Neocaridina, Amano and Ghost Shrimp, Nerite and Mystery snails,

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

Welcome!
After getting pretty deep into things this year using canister filters, HOB (hang on back) and sponge filters my go to are the Aquaclear HOB's for anything 20G or less.
The way they're designed allows you to change one set of filter media at a time so that you don't lose your cycle and HOB's are easier to maintain than a canister.

My suggestion is figure out what's most important to you, fish, plants, shrimp and choose what intrigues you most and build from there.
My most recent tank I wanted chili rasboras. I always keep shrimp in my tanks so I researched what shrimp would do best in the water type that chili rasboras would thrive in. I like "breeding friendly" tanks and water parameters play a large role in that so I made sure to set up the tank accordingly and also keep a pre-filter sponge on the intake of my filter to not suck up fry.

That's my recommendation, start with the highest priority thing to you personally and build from there. There are very knowledgeable people here who will guide you and hopefully steer you clear from some traps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Roboto; 01-02-2021 at 06:03 PM. Reason: more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode