Hi all! - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By John58ford
  • 1 Post By John58ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi all!

Some of you may recognize me from another forum where I'm pretty active. I love DIY, fabrication, and trying to stretch natural limits. I'm here to learn more, and improve.

Here's a shot of my rack of display tanks, there are a few others spread around the house, but this is where I focus most of my energy. I don't fertilize traditionally. The only things I have been adding to these are potassium bi-carbonate, calcium chloride, and magnesium sulfate to buffer up my crazy soft, un-chlorinated tap water. I've been trying to keep my gH near 6 degrees and my Kh4-5 degrees this way.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_123059_HDR_1606077347017.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	5.32 MB
ID:	905389

Anyhow, that's me, I'll see you all around, thanks for welcoming me in.
deeda and Roboto like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome to TPT and very nice set up!!

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 03:16 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome looking tanks, is the one on the top right a terrarium? Any closer shots/more info on it?

- Sent from a Nokia Brick

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
Awesome looking tanks, is the one on the top right a terrarium? Any closer shots/more info on it?
That one is a terrarium, it's very basic now though. Divided diagonally across the bottom so it holds ~5 gallons. Filtered by a quiet flow e3 that was modified with an oversized sponge pre-filter and stuffed with ceramic rings. The sponge carries the load usually and I poach the rings to seed fry tanks as required. Originally I had the dry side as a diy bio active with a river bank/trickle from the wetside but I lost endler fry over the sides and abandoned it pretty quickly due to difficulty retrieving/cleaning. Now the dry side is a basic disposable bark until I re-imagine it all.
I don't have any of the pictures of the original configuration on my phone but it did look much cooler.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200729_152241_HDR_1606242509543.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	5.17 MB
ID:	905431
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201024_194325_HDR_1606242657290.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	905435
Currently the northwestern garter I designed it for lives in there, I don't grow fry out in it anymore and am using it as a retirement home for a 4 year old guppy with serious aggression issues. He's a straight tetra killer. The filter carries the load no issues though since in development stages I made sure it could carry the load from snake droppings if required. The guppy seems happy with allot of side to side swimming room, despite the shallow depth. And the snake has had no interest in eating fish for over a year now. The guppy cleans him while he soaks though.

Version 2 of this tank will have another attempt at a waterfall, and will be much more nano fish capable. I really didn't know what I was doing with V1.
deeda likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

I can kind of picture what you're descibing, I've definitely had similar ideas but never tried any. It's a cool setup, although snakes terrify me. I was moving a wood pile earlier this summer and there were so many garters in it. Every like 10th log I'd pick up there'd be one and every time it would make me jump.

I really like all the stones in the tank, looks really zen. Maybe for the next version you could create a more solid transition with big rocks or a custom 3d background sort of thing. That way you have a more defined/safe tank space, while still being able to keep a garter friendly area out of the water. Then replace that sponge filter with a fountain pump with a sponge prefilter and have that feed into a tube that creates the waterfall.

- Sent from a Nokia Brick

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode