2Likes
  • 1 Post By GraphicGr8s
  • 1 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Old member but New again

My Name is Greg, I had just set up a 75 gallon back in 2012 and a drunk driver doing 100mph drove through my house hitting me and destroying everything I owned. After several years I finally got things somewhat back to normal and I’m hoping to do another aquarium. I was thinking of another 75 gallon low tech. Any info on what to buy would be greatly appreciated. Before I was running a sump, but so much has changed in 7 years that I don’t know where to begin.
Thanks and it’s nice to be back
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryalln854 View Post
My Name is Greg, I had just set up a 75 gallon back in 2012 and a drunk driver doing 100mph drove through my house hitting me and destroying everything I owned. After several years I finally got things somewhat back to normal and Iím hoping to do another aquarium. I was thinking of another 75 gallon low tech. Any info on what to buy would be greatly appreciated. Before I was running a sump, but so much has changed in 7 years that I donít know where to begin.
Thanks and itís nice to be back
Greg
Oh, I am so sorry that happened. I recently joined and am learning so much new information. I am wishing you success with your new venture.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
My Name is Greg, I had just set up a 75 gallon back in 2012 and a drunk driver doing 100mph drove through my house hitting me and destroying everything I owned. After several years I finally got things somewhat back to normal and I’m hoping to do another aquarium. I was thinking of another 75 gallon low tech. Any info on what to buy would be greatly appreciated. Before I was running a sump, but so much has changed in 7 years that I don’t know where to begin.
Thanks and it’s nice to be back
Greg
Having been in this hobby for over 40 years the basics have not changed. When I first started I wanted the biggest, baddest, newest things. Learned over the years the old stuff really did work. I started with corner box filters.Went to Aquamaster/Aquaking filters. Did undergravel. Sponge? Yuup. Sumps? Of course. Second Nature HOB too. Canister.
Right now I am running 30+ tanks on sponge filters and/or Lee corner filters. I've got 18 of them. It is more efficiant for me as I can run one very large air pump. I still have 4 tanks in the house with HOBs. My 90 was a sump for a while. So was the 75. Now each has two Tetra filters on them.
About the only filter I haven't made yet is the Matten. But it is coming.
The nitrogen cycle is still the nitrogen cycle.

Thing is while there really is nothing new under the sun. The newer stuff may look nicer and work but it costs more.

You laugh at the sponge filters? The hatcheries are using them in many tanks. They are very cost effective.

If you are comfortable with the sump then go back to it. It will still filter your water. It will still be crystal clear same as many other filters.

If it were me starting out? I'd get the tank size I could afford and run HOB filters. One or two as needed depending on bio load and tank size. I am partial to the Tetra filters since I've used them for so many years. Aquaclear is good too.

Some here prefer sand. I like gravel. My larger tanks I went with pea gravel from the big box store. I've got one with top soil as the substrate. No sand cap just dirt. Been running for years now.
Roboto likes this.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 09:00 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear of that horrible experience. Sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully a new tank can bring you some peace.
My most valuable piece of equipment is my RO filter. GraphicGr8s above summarized things pretty nicely.

Substrate choice is largely dictated on the fish you're planning to keep. The answer to so many other questions has to do with a personal balance of aesthetics and tolerance/willingness to perform routine maintenance.

I like having at least two filters in each tank and one is almost always a sponge because I live in an area where power outages are a normal thing and battery powered air pumps make things quite easy through that.

If I was doing a 75 gallon I'd probably do two sponge filters (I really like the hygger ones on amazon since they have bio balls) and a canister. Or I'd do two HOB's.
I find some of the all in one aquariums intriguing that have the filter/sump hidden in the bank part of the tank and you can place heater there and keep a very neat looking tank and also have pretty easy access to cleaning but I've yet to try one. That will be my next major purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. I have used sponge filters in the past, but this time I wanted to go with a cleaner look. I was thinking canister or sump. Also, what kind of lighting do you recommend? I was going to go with black sand for the substrate
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have used sponge filters in the past, but this time I wanted to go with a cleaner look. I was thinking canister or sump. Also, what kind of lighting do you recommend? I was going to go with black sand for the substrate
I use standard 6000K lights in my planted tanks. I found a deal on some led tubes and am converting to that in a few tanks. The planted tank I have one on is doing well. It started with a bad ballast and the ballast was expensive. I gutted the fixture and went LED on that one. I have the cheap fluorescent shop lights on all of the fish house tanks and as they go bad they too will be converted. Doing that slowly though as that many fixtures will be expensive.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 10:07 PM
Planted Member

I am using Oase Biomaster Thermo cannister filters. They have a built in heater and also a removable prefilter which makes weekly cleaning easy. I originally wanted to go with a sump but did not want to deal with taming the noise or drilling a new tank.

I am setting up 75g(120P) right now and will be using the Biomaster 600. Keeps stuff out of the tank for a very clean look and also keeps the water very clear.

Check Craig's list for the tank and stand. Used aquariums can be a very good deal.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Greg and welcome back to the hobby.

Before you buy anything, I would give some thought as to what you want out of the tank.

A low tech low light tank full of easy to grow plants like ferns, crypts, anubias, swords, etc.

Or a high light high tech Dutch like tank full of fast growing flowery stems? Or something in between?

If I were you, I would look through the journal section and find some tanks that demonstrate success with similar sized tanks and goals similar to your own. Study their methods. Reach out and ask questions. I think you will find folks here are happy to share their experience and help you.

Just saying the decisions about everything, including substrate, lights, filtration, CO2, etc. should be driven by your goals for the tank.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Bettatail likes this.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode