using wood as lid - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oughtsix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question using wood as lid

Hey folks,

I've just made a wooden and mesh frame top for my tank. (wood is pine, 1inch by 1/4 inch).
the wood is sitting on top of the tank(rim), about 2/3 inches above water level.

so the problem i have is, i need to treat the wood to stop from water damage, and not sure what is safe for fish. I did some digging and was told waterbased varnish is ok, but my local fish store said he wouldn't recommend using it, or even using wood!

I've seen loads of tanks online with full wooden lids, so there has to be something safe for aquariums??

extra info if needed: tropical tank, 60ltr, planted, with a mix from gouramis to shrimp.

any help would be great!!, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

could swap out the pine for a length of cladding ceder cut in to inch strips which wouldn't need any treatment , other than that for sealing the pine maybe beeswax for 100% non toxic guaranteed solution (you will need some elbow grease too, some people find that part toxic though )
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use exterior latex paint to do the insides of my canopies , made of pine , with no problems . I use semi gloss white for the reflectivity .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree that some form of buffed wax for the wood is a good choice. If beeswax is the most natural then that is a great choice.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

2 part clear epoxy finish is what they use on the top side and bottom side of wooden boats to seal out the water. There are several available on Amazon.

I tried polyester resin that is used for fiber glassing boats. I recommend skipping the polyester resin and using the 2 part epoxy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SardinePatheNews View Post
could swap out the pine for a length of cladding ceder cut in to inch strips which wouldn't need any treatment , other than that for sealing the pine maybe beeswax for 100% non toxic guaranteed solution (you will need some elbow grease too, some people find that part toxic though )
beeswax!! ok i never thought of that, ill look around for that so. getting pre-cut cedar (i have only hand tools and would never cut that myself how i need) is very hard to get here, without paying silly money. thanks for the beeswax solution, ill defo look into that!!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
2 part clear epoxy finish is what they use on the top side and bottom side of wooden boats to seal out the water. There are several available on Amazon.

I tried polyester resin that is used for fiber glassing boats. I recommend skipping the polyester resin and using the 2 part epoxy.
Thanks for the help. I've heard this before (epoxy), but bit of an unknown to me. I looked into it briefly for making epoxy chopping board, but didnt know it was fish safe. so are we talking something like this? and then brush it on?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epoxy-Resin-Clear-Crystal-Coating/dp/B084FYDBL1/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=2+part+epoxy+finish&q id=1602576815&quartzVehicle=72-1783&replacementKeywords=part+epoxy+finish&sr=8-8
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyor View Post
beeswax!! ok i never thought of that, ill look around for that so. getting pre-cut cedar (i have only hand tools and would never cut that myself how i need) is very hard to get here, without paying silly money. thanks for the beeswax solution, ill defo look into that!!

Bump:
Thanks for the help. I've heard this before (epoxy), but bit of an unknown to me. I looked into it briefly for making epoxy chopping board, but didnt know it was fish safe. so are we talking something like this? and then brush it on?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epoxy-Resin...+finish&sr=8-8
Yep, I haven't used that particular one but there are many available.

youtube.com/watch?v=6jidFYYjJ6o
joeyor likes this.

Tags
tank advice, wood cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode