Ken Keating 1 Daughter's - The Planted Tank Forum
 179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ken Keating 1 Daughter's

Our father (Ken Keating 1) absolutely loved this site. Whenever our family passed by him on his computer, he was glued to the screen reading anything he could on this forum. Sadly, my dad passed away earlier this month. He was diagnosed with cancer in December and fought a heroic battle for as long as he could.

The fish tank is now under our care. We’re all amateurs and only helped our dad trim the plants a couple of times. We do know how to change the water and feed the fish. However, we’re determined to learn more because the aquarium was a huge piece of our dad. We loved him and adored his infatuation with the tank. It was common (before Coronavirus) to have friends come over and give them a grand tour of the aquarium. There would even be a feeding show! We’re truly going to miss these shows and our father.

We decided to start an account because we thought it would be the best place to get help with taking over the tank. We’ll try to post photos later this week because we’re having issues with algae. Towards the end my father wasn’t doing as much dosing and waiting longer between water changes. We’ll also post some photos of the plants because we want to make sure we trim them correctly.

Thank you all for adding so much to our father’s life and sharing his passion for fish with him. We know it was so appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:54 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
So very sorry to read this. I have communicated with your dad both on this site and thru text messaging - he will be greatly missed.
I'm sure those of us that knew Ken will be more than happy to help with care of the tank. Weekly water changes will go along way in keeping the plants and fish healthy.
Will miss you Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am so sorry and saddened to hear this news.

While I never met your father, we had many discussions via email and PM here.

I found him to be an engaging personality, and truly enjoyed every conversation we had. He was also a positive force here on the site, and I am sure many looked forward to seeing his updates and thoughts.

He will be greatly missed, and I am so sorry for your loss.

---
---

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Oh, I am heartbroken. Condolences to you girls and your mother.
Your dad was amazing.
I feel so blessed to have gotten to know him in the short period that I did through the hobby.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the fish side of things.

Amy
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM
Plant Lover

My deepest condolences to you all. Ken and I exchanged notes, pm's, after having met on this site. Even through the "ether sphere" I could tell what a kind and generous and brilliant man he was. He was an engaging and giving presence here. I loved hearing about his camping trips with you, his kids. And of course I was inspired and learned so much from his tank and his expertise. We will all miss him.

29 gallon, pH controlled CO2, Current USA + Pro LED, Eco-complete, Eheim Classic.

20L gallon, same configuration with HOB filter, suffering from tank size envy.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm so sorry for your loss! Your dad definitely had a presence on the forum and will be missed by his planted family.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My deepest condolences on the loss of your father. I truly enjoyed getting to know Ken though our love of this hobby. I feel privilege that I was able to spend some time online with him, discussing in depth engineering plans!

He will be truly missed, and may he rest well.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Greg

|

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I loved the journey he described on his thread, he was amazing and truly saddened.
deeda, Greggz, billb and 4 others like this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sorry for your loss.
deeda, Greggz, billb and 2 others like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. His tank was an inspiration. I never met him personally but he responded quickly to any questions. It was clear that he cared deeply about helping people...a philosophy I can only imagine he carried through to his close friends and family.

I’ve been meaning to build his variable velocity reactor and have been putting it off...I just might have to get started on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deeda, billb, zivvel and 3 others like this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 PM

Hi Amy! We've tried texting you a few times but aren't sure if our messages are going through. We still have your pie pan and need to return it

Bump: Hi Amy! We've tried texting you a few times but aren't sure if our messages are going through. We still have your pie pan and need to return it
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeatingAmy1 View Post
Hi Amy! We've tried texting you a few times but aren't sure if our messages are going through. We still have your pie pan and need to return it
@Discusluv - see above.
Greggz, Econde, Grobbins48 and 1 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
So very sorry to read this. I have communicated with your dad both on this site and thru text messaging - he will be greatly missed.
I'm sure those of us that knew Ken will be more than happy to help with care of the tank. Weekly water changes will go along way in keeping the plants and fish healthy.
Will miss you Ken
Thank you for this photo- We love it. Our father always had a smile on his face. I know you never met in person, but we remember our dad mentioning you and considered you as a friend.

We'll make sure to keep up with the water changes.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I am so sorry and saddened to hear this news.

While I never met your father, we had many discussions via email and PM here.

I found him to be an engaging personality, and truly enjoyed every conversation we had. He was also a positive force here on the site, and I am sure many looked forward to seeing his updates and thoughts.

He will be greatly missed, and I am so sorry for your loss.
My father always loved to communicate and reach out to people. His optimism and positivity is something we're always to going to remember.
deeda, Greggz, billb and 6 others like this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
My deepest condolences to you all. Ken and I exchanged notes, pm's, after having met on this site. Even through the "ether sphere" I could tell what a kind and generous and brilliant man he was. He was an engaging and giving presence here. I loved hearing about his camping trips with you, his kids. And of course I was inspired and learned so much from his tank and his expertise. We will all miss him.
Thank you for your kind words. We have so many great camping memories from all the years we've gone.
Greggz, billb, zivvel and 2 others like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeatingAmy1 View Post

Bump: Hi Amy! We've tried texting you a few times but aren't sure if our messages are going through. We still have your pie pan and need to return it
I haven't seen your messages, no!
I will look!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
@Discusluv - see above.
Thank you for alerting me to this message. I might have missed it.
Immortal1 and Econde like this.

Amy

Tags
fish advice, fish care, plant advice, plant care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode