Is this a dead/dying forum? - The Planted Tank Forum
 191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a dead/dying forum?

I've been using plantedtank.net for a long time and recently have taken an interest in aquascaping. A lot of aquascaping articles reference the plantedtanks's aquascape forum as a resource but I've noticed it is not uncommon for there to be no new post for days. Posting, you might get a reply but if so likely not that day.

Has it always been like this perhaps because aquascaping is not a big topic in relation to the whole hobby? Or do people generally post aquascape questions in the 'general'/other forums? Or are there other sites that are more active right now for aquascaping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower

Following along, Im also a newbie would also be interested in some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fatblonde likes this.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

I'm fairly new here too and do a lot more reading than posting, if you check 'Active Topics' there are quite a few posts here daily and some great tank journals that get regular updates. There isn't a constant stream of posts compared to somewhere like r/plantedtank, but there is a core userbase here that has a huge amount of collective knowledge (and the tanks to back it up) that I haven't seen on other sites.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
I'm fairly new here too and do a lot more reading than posting, if you check 'Active Topics' there are quite a few posts here daily and some great tank journals that get regular updates. There isn't a constant stream of posts compared to somewhere like r/plantedtank, but there is a core userbase here that has a huge amount of collective knowledge (and the tanks to back it up) that I haven't seen on other sites.
Maybe I don't see all the posts? I know the main forums on here are busy, I use them effectively. But on this forum, if I look at the thread list, the next to last one updated was updated 8/23. The one prior to that was updated last 8/16. So several days appear to go between when people post something.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'll be honest...this might be the first time I went on this subforum! Yeah, I was more concerned with the plant and fish's care than in how to position those same plants in an attractive fashion in the tank.
Leeatl and Econde like this.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 PM
Planted Member

Blame ADA. If you want to compete in IAPLC you can't post your tanks anywhere public for feedback, critique, etc... So "serious" aquascapers have private groups to discuss aquascaping.

There is also significant overlap with the tank journals forum-- even if you are doing an "aquascape" it might as well be in the tank journals section as it's easier to keep track of what you've done and provide context for the tank you're talking about for other users.

Finally, there just isn't much to talk about with regards to aquascaping. Sure, I could write an essay about trends in diorama-style aquascapes both towards and away from natural scenes and landscapes, but there might be only two or three people on here who would actually care, or who follow aquascaping closely enough to have anything to contribute. Add on to that the fact that I can't link IAPLC pictures and everything is a whole lot harder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't think aquascaping was ever a major topic here. It's more a cultural thing and simply is not as big in North America as it is in Asia and Europe. Off the top of my head I can't even think of an Aquascaping Guru that is from the U.S/Canada. First names that come to mind are Barr (not really a scaper) and Walstad (definitely not a scaper.) Both of these individuals have completely different methods, but they are both about growing plants and not layout and design.
Greggz, Quesenek, Econde and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 11:23 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've been a member of several hobby forums since the late 90's/early 2000's and it's not just this one. As a whole message boards are dying and it breaks my heart. It's just the state of the internet these days. So many people just post on social media/Reddit/Instagram/etc. for the likes and chance to "go viral" even though they all tend to be terrible places for nuanced discussion or learning who individuals are and their experience level. I could post a great photo of a gravid female shrimp on Reddit's R/shrimptank titled "Thicc skripmy boi" and get 200 likes vs. 3 here. But answer thoughtfully -and correctly -that there's no CO2 in "liquid CO2" to someone worried about running an air pump on that godawful place and you'll get downvoted so quickly that nobody will ever see the post. This is why I tend to side with the argument that people should show their aquariums if they are going to criticize others, but that's another discussion.

As for people not noticing posts in the aquascaping subs, I sort by new and assumed most people did. I doubt I ever pay attention to what sub it's in when I decide to read something here. A thread title determines more than anything whether or not I give it a click. Well that and whether I happen to be on the forum that day. It's also summer, and every message board outside of gardening ones I'm on tend to slow down this time of year. Add that ADA "contract" to it, and it cuts down so much content that would be informative and interesting.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I don't think aquascaping was ever a major topic here. It's more a cultural thing and simply is not as big in North America as it is in Asia and Europe. Off the top of my head I can't even think of an Aquascaping Guru that is from the U.S/Canada. First names that come to mind are Barr (not really a scaper) and Walstad (definitely not a scaper.) Both of these individuals have completely different methods, but they are both about growing plants and not layout and design.
I can see that, but other side of the coin is that an aquascape is not necessarily a specific thing. You can have an "aquascape" with no plants, neon gravel, a skull and pirate ship bubbler, etc... if that's your thing. And it can still be an interesting/appealing aquascape or an ugly one depending on how well planned and executed. I view it as more about the aesthetic and architecture of the layout of any aquarium.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Blame ADA. If you want to compete in IAPLC you can't post your tanks anywhere public for feedback, critique, etc... So "serious" aquascapers have private groups to discuss aquascaping.

There is also significant overlap with the tank journals forum-- even if you are doing an "aquascape" it might as well be in the tank journals section as it's easier to keep track of what you've done and provide context for the tank you're talking about for other users.

Finally, there just isn't much to talk about with regards to aquascaping. Sure, I could write an essay about trends in diorama-style aquascapes both towards and away from natural scenes and landscapes, but there might be only two or three people on here who would actually care, or who follow aquascaping closely enough to have anything to contribute. Add on to that the fact that I can't link IAPLC pictures and everything is a whole lot harder.

That all puts it in some perspective. That's too bad about the ADA/IAPLC, I think those kind of rules detract from a competition and create less awareness about it, thus its kind of self-defeating.

I think there is more that can be talked about with aquascape but can see where many topics can bleed into other forums.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahem View Post
I can see that, but other side of the coin is that an aquascape is not necessarily a specific thing. You can have an "aquascape" with no plants, neon gravel, a skull and pirate ship bubbler, etc... if that's your thing. And it can still be an interesting/appealing aquascape or an ugly one depending on how well planned and executed. I view it as more about the aesthetic and architecture of the layout of any aquarium.

I agree with this - which is in my opinion why this particular subforum is not so busy! As mentioned above, a lot of scaping talk happens in tank journals, and I can't think (personally) of too many situations where I'd want to post specifically about the scape vs overall "here's my setup, do the plants look okay, is anything off balance, etc". The scape is such a comprehensive but also nebulous part of the tank, it fits in naturally with any other topic.
Econde likes this.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 02:23 AM
Planted Member

For aquascaping viewing tank setups, pro tips and techniques is more effective than reading IMO.

So given a choice of a blog/forum post with pics vs a YouTube video of the same, I prefer the YouTube video. (E.g. the green machine they used to have both posts and videos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

External links aren't permitted - please stop adding the link when we remove it
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahem View Post
I've been using plantedtank.net for a long time and recently have taken an interest in aquascaping. A lot of aquascaping articles reference the plantedtanks's aquascape forum as a resource but I've noticed it is not uncommon for there to be no new post for days. Posting, you might get a reply but if so likely not that day.

Has it always been like this perhaps because aquascaping is not a big topic in relation to the whole hobby? Or do people generally post aquascape questions in the 'general'/other forums? Or are there other sites that are more active right now for aquascaping?
Have a look at The Aquascapers Collective on Facebook. It's a large group who's sole focus is aquascaping.
oldpunk78 likes this.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 11:23 AM
Algae Grower

What seems to be lost with 'aquascaping', providing a habitat for your fish.

I watched a youtube video of someone setting up a 120 gallon tank with mbuna cichlids, he had a small group of carefully placed rocks in the center of the tank. WTF, the mbuna's were just swimming around in the open water looking for a 'home', a nice cave in the rocks.

Long ago I mbuna setup in a 50 gallon breeder tank (36"x18"). I build a rack using PVC pipe to create a slope of large rocks to the top of the tank. The mbuna's loved it as all could find a home and it was soo much fun watching their territorial behavior in defending their homes. My guess, this tank would finish last in any aquascaping contest.
Econde and Karley like this.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

I've posted a couple questions that were answered almost immediately and have found it to still be a helpful and informative corner of the internet, for what it's worth.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, some people will not find what they are looking for here. They see a dead/dying forum. Understandable.
Look to Facebook- they will have the fast activity your looking for.
Econde likes this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode