Is this a dead/dying forum? - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
I think OP talking about aquascaping sub forum,...

anyway, this forum will stay alive as long as Mods doing their work.
@Darkblade48, @somewhatshocked, thank you and keeping up the good work!
Greggz, Fishly, zivvel and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I am on a bunch of forums and most have little to no activity at this time . Some maybe the Covid issues , but most have always been that way for the last couple years . This forum over all is fairly active in the warmer months and picks up a lot in the colder ones .

Agree to this. There are my other forums where it is completely dead by this time. In a month 2-3 posts. This forum was super active during 2007-11 when I used to keep cichlids tanks. I took a break and when I came back to the hobby in 2017 with planted tanks my other forum was completely dead. The active members had moved on to Facebook groups etc. but the wealth of knowledge on that forum still hold and is invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post

Amen! There is no greater turn-off for a forum than mods that let users run wild. I just visited a bonsai forum a few days ago where a substrate thread turned into insults and attacks. As in "you don't agree with me because you're stupid and uneducated but if you'd just open your tiny mind a crack you'd see how right I am" type of stuff. I was like, guys... they're trees. Chill.

Free speech is extremely important, but people forget that part of the point of free speech is to enable useful discussion. If you've gotten to the point of insults you're not having a discussion anymore and the mods need to step in. That's one of the things I really appreciate about this forum.

Proud member of

post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Not exactly. The last For Sale section changes happened a year before the forum was sold. And the changes in general started about 2.5 years prior. You've commented about sales-related issues in the past (I just checked some of the archived threads we have) - you just may not remember them.

There were, unfortunately, a set of (now former) members who schemed & abused the For Sale section nearly 24/7. Constantly bumping threads, editing, removing, taking massive pre-orders & skipping out, running multiple accounts, smuggling Buce, bumping, commenting to drive up views, skirting limits, more bumping, etc. It was non-stop BS for some of them. They treated it as a free-for-all with no limitations. Some of them still try it. Some of them are no longer in the hobby.

Most of them, after being kicked off the forum - occasionally for illegal activity, took to social media and other outlets to whine and complain about moderators (me in particular because I don't have patience for con artists like h4n and msnikkistar). They were fairly popular on the forum, so their sob stories were gobbled up. Was just fortunate for them that we, as a policy, didn't spill the T about the shenanigans they were up to. Because some of them would have for sure disappeared into the ether for eternity. While some could have gone to jail for the crap they were pulling. It was mind-boggling.

Now it's locked down. For Sale section can't be accessed unless you're using the desktop version of the site (this can be done on mobile) and is inaccessible via third-party applications like Tapatalk. We don't want the forum to be an open sales paradise or even sales-centric. Information sharing comes first. Everything else is just an added bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
It was a change that happened when it was sold - I'd never seen or heard of any issues myself.

Participation on forums in general has bottomed out because of the transition to social media. Many want instant gratification and aren't interested in substantive discussion. In a hobby like this that's frequently treated as a momentary blip in life? Folks flock to the quick and easy. It's generally the lifers who stick around sites like this.

There are also folks like me who see Facebook as the scourge of humanity. I like instant gratification but am not willing to give up ownership of my data and definitely am not interested in the non-stop bigotry and personal attacks. At least with this forum, there's almost no data collected or stored. Certainly no details about shopping habits, likes, that sort of thing that can be tied to you as a person. It's a place where a hobby can be a hobby without the bombardment of everything else in life - a bit of a slow-paced escape.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 09-12-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
There's still so many posts here, we won't let this forum die!
Greggz, Econde and Discusluv like this.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #51 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I hope this forum never fades out as I do not use social media at all. I like websites like this to learn how to do this hobby properly which includes learning how and why sometimes via discussions. My wife uses Facebook, and it always seems to be more bout bragging then informing those who look to learn the more complicated processes in fish/shrimp keeping. This website has been my favorite go to for information long before I joined.
zivvel, Econde and Discusluv like this.
post #52 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
I'm happy to see that this forum has weathered the social interweb shift better than others. It is unfortunately less active than ye olden times, but I still consider it the planted tank mecca. I love Reddit. Can't stomach Facebook. Other sites are OK or not, but you can't beat the community interactions, support, knowledge, and archives of dedicated hobby forums. Everything we've discussed is still here for us to easily sort through, whereas most other social sites cluster too much, and specifics become lost in the ether.
Greggz and Econde like this.
post #53 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflng View Post
Other sites are OK or not, but you can't beat the community interactions, support, knowledge, and archives of dedicated hobby forums. Everything we've discussed is still here for us to easily sort through, whereas most other social sites cluster too much, and specifics become lost in the ether.
This is a good point and a major difference.

On the other platforms, there is quick hit of information and then it is lost. One of the real values here is the archival nature of the forum. Topics can really get fleshed out over days/months/weeks/years.

Attention span is too short on the others to do so.

Also there is no substitute for the journals. Easily the best way to understand how someone manages their tank. You simply can't get into all the fine details in the hit and run formats.
deeda, Blue Ridge Reef and Alyssa like this.

---
---
post #54 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Now it's locked down. For Sale section can't be accessed unless you're using the desktop version of the site (this can be done on mobile) and is inaccessible via third-party applications like Tapatalk. We don't want the forum to be an open sales paradise or even sales-centric. Information sharing comes first. Everything else is just an added bonus.

I love this forum because of the fact that it has a community feel and the mods have taken a precaution towards the people that were using this as just a store front with zero engagement or helping of the little folks who were just starting. they were just looking to sell their high end stuff.

I agree that the most engagement always comes from journals since people can relate and feel part of being involved with someone while they're on the journey to start up their tanks. The for sale portion is a great place to trade but not to be used as a profit business, just enough to cover the expenses of buying new plants or providing clippings for people that have high light tanks and everything grows like a weed.
I try and visit it multiple times a week and love supporting the beginners and everyone that has a well written journal.
Greggz, Alyssa, zivvel and 1 others like this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #55 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 10:27 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post

Ah yes, this thread was originally in the Aquascaping subforum, but I moved it from there to the Lounge, since I figure it would get more exposure and felt that it was more relevant to the forum as a whole (and not just that particular subforum).

That being said, a particular subforum might sometimes be too specialized a topic, which could cause it to see slower posts. I believe it's been already mentioned, but in a day and age of instant gratification, rather than seeing meaningful discussion/criticism on an aquascape, it is easier to just leave a 'like' on a Facebook picture or Instagram photo, and move on to the next thing.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #56 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 12:50 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Somewhat tying back into what @Darkblade48 mentioned and my own observations on FB - threads, and the hierarchy they belong to are the real difference between the two platforms.
On FB you might belong to the group "plants" or what ever, but ll the various topics are grouped under plants. Pick a group and try and find info for a specific topic - major pain in the butt.
Here you have Mods that help keep things organized, and as needed, move a specific topic from one group to another.
Next year when I want to go back and find this thread, I can either search in the appropriate category "Lounge" or I can use the tools pull down and search thru my posts - way easier!
For those of you who might remember, I was prt of a summer long experiment on my back porch involving some Equipment research. I did not start the thread, but if you remember any part of the name of the thread you can easily find it. There is just no way that kind or volume of information could be organized and posted on FB.

For that matter, try developing a tank journal on FB. I'll pick on @Greggz - huge amount of info on his tank and everything he has learned along the way. So, how did things progress for @Grobbins48 on his journal? Pretty easy to find this info.

I have been working on my journal since 03-28-2015, 10:51 PM. Took me less than a 5 seconds to find that info. Try doing something like that on FB (or maybe I just suck at FB?)

Either way, I plan on vising this forum almost daily until I can no longer navigate a mouse...
Greggz, Bettatail, ipkiss and 3 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #57 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
For that matter, try developing a tank journal on FB. I'll pick on @Greggz - huge amount of info on his tank and everything he has learned along the way.
LOL! Every time I think I learned something and figured it out.......along comes something else and the process starts all over again! That's why the journal is still going. This funny thing about this hobby is there is no end game........always something new to learn or try.

Now the bad thing about this forum and a journal is that you can see all my mistakes too!
ipkiss, Leeatl, Econde and 1 others like this.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 09-15-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: typo
post #58 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 03:27 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
LOL! Every time I think I learned something and figured it out.......along comes something else and the process starts all over again! That's why the journal is still going. This funny thing about this hobby is there is no end game........always something new to learn or try.

Now that bad thing about this forum and a journal is that you can see all my mistakes too!

Mistakes are part of the learning process. For some of us (me), the learning process takes a bit longer than others...
Fortunately there is no "end game" so at least I have a chance
Greggz and Econde like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #59 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
@somewhatshocked Buce smuggling? Is that really a thing? (I mean, obviously it is, but it seems so odd.)
Econde likes this.

Proud member of
post #60 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
@somewhatshocked Buce smuggling? Is that really a thing? (I mean, obviously it is, but it seems so odd.)
It does seem odd doesnt it?
But, plant poaching is big business for crooks. In California, the latest plant that has come under the eye of poachers is dudleya farinosa. There has been a huge interest in the last couple years for rare succulents and this is one of those coveted plants. This succulent only grows on the rocky cliffs of the California coast, and these smugglers are taking them.

https://www.sfgate.com/science/artic...a-13704017.php
Econde likes this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode