Is this a dead/dying forum? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 186Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvand5 View Post
Where is the sale forum on this site? I see a WTB but is that all there is?
It's the board above the "WTB/RAOK" board in the Members Forum section - the "For Sale/Trade" board.

Here is the link: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/153-sale-trade/[/QUOTE]

Strange. When I click the link it says I don’t have permission to view the page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I am on the forum daily- multiple times a day. I come back because there is a community here. We have in-depth conversations about our tanks, our struggles, and sometimes about our lives outside the forum. If that is a dying mode of communication in the hobby- soo be it. Ill keep coming here every day until its gone.
Well put and agreed.

While I am active on a few FB groups, there is no question that if you really want help and to learn this is a much better place.

Most discussions about planted tanks are too complicated and nuanced for FB. It is much more of hit and run type interaction. Lots of folks giving advice that seem to have very little experience or success. Topics come and go very quickly. Advice thrown around with little or no knowledge about the tank.

I've said this many times, but when considering a problem in a planted tank, you really need to take a holistic approach. And that means knowing as much as possible. It's very difficult on FB to get into that level of detail. People chase things like ferts when CO2/light/maintenance are more likely the problem.

And more important is the sense of community. In my opinion, it's a wonderful group of people here who are happy and willing to share their collective experience.

I can say personally I have enjoyed the interaction here for many years. And while I have not met anyone here in person, I can say that I consider them friends and look forward to hearing from them. I also follow a huge amount of journals, and have to say I really enjoy seeing the updates and following people as they grow in the hobby.

For some of those who lament that boards like this slow down at times, you should try participating. Get involved in a conversation, start your own journal, or just drop in and offer a word of encouragement to someone. It can mean a lot to people to hear from others and often motivates them to improve. And sharing your own journey (good and bad) can help you improve in the hobby, and folks appreciate being able to follow along.

And keep in mind it always slows down here in the summer. But I have already seen some of the usual suspects dropping in more often or lurking around (Likes!). Usually picks up again right after labor day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think the algorithms that populate the home page contribute to a sense of inactivity. I find there's a lot of new activity in individual subforums that will never show up on the home page... so it's easy to come see the home page, find no new activity, and go away empty handed.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

I don't do Facebook. This forum is a great resource.
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvand5 View Post
It's the board above the "WTB/RAOK" board in the Members Forum section - the "For Sale/Trade" board.

Here is the link: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/153-sale-trade/
Strange. When I click the link it says I donít have permission to view the page[/QUOTE]

It's viewable on desktop only for some reason.

post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Well put and agreed.

While I am active on a few FB groups, there is no question that if you really want help and to learn this is a much better place.

Most discussions about planted tanks are too complicated and nuanced for FB. It is much more of hit and run type interaction. Lots of folks giving advice that seem to have very little experience or success. Topics come and go very quickly. Advice thrown around with little or no knowledge about the tank.

I've said this many times, but when considering a problem in a planted tank, you really need to take a holistic approach. And that means knowing as much as possible. It's very difficult on FB to get into that level of detail. People chase things like ferts when CO2/light/maintenance are more likely the problem.

And more important is the sense of community. In my opinion, it's a wonderful group of people here who are happy and willing to share their collective experience.

I can say personally I have enjoyed the interaction here for many years. And while I have not met anyone here in person, I can say that I consider them friends and look forward to hearing from them. I also follow a huge amount of journals, and have to say I really enjoy seeing the updates and following people as they grow in the hobby.

For some of those who lament that boards like this slow down at times, you should try participating. Get involved in a conversation, start your own journal, or just drop in and offer a word of encouragement to someone. It can mean a lot to people to hear from others and often motivates them to improve. And sharing your own journey (good and bad) can help you improve in the hobby, and folks appreciate being able to follow along.

And keep in mind it always slows down here in the summer. But I have already seen some of the usual suspects dropping in more often or lurking around (Likes!). Usually picks up again right after labor day.
Nice. I tried using FB for local groups. But I've found that if you aren't in a bigger city, It's not as active. I've dropped the group a little while back after I never received a reply about some local auction. I get there and to my surprise it's cash only. I have no experience with auctions whatsoever . I did meet one of the members here in person! We happened to live in the same area.

Anyway I have learned a lot and continue to do so through all of you members here. For the most part, someone is bound to reply to a question or at least point you to a previous thread that has answers.

@Greggz That last part you said reminds me of how gyms are. You get the dedicated bunch who goes 3-5 times out of the week consistently. There's the ones who go light 1-3 times a week. Then you get a bunch of "new year new me" resolutions people that drop out at the end of January. Now if you see those new years resolution people pass the first 2 months, they usually keep on coming.
Greggz, Alyssa and Discusluv like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Nice. I tried using FB for local groups. But I've found that if you aren't in a bigger city, It's not as active. I've dropped the group a little while back after I never received a reply about some local auction. I get there and to my surprise it's cash only. I have no experience with auctions whatsoever . I did meet one of the members here in person! We happened to live in the same area.

Anyway I have learned a lot and continue to do so through all of you members here. For the most part, someone is bound to reply to a question or at least point you to a previous thread that has answers.

@Greggz That last part you said reminds me of how gyms are. You get the dedicated bunch who goes 3-5 times out of the week consistently. There's the ones who go light 1-3 times a week. Then you get a bunch of "new year new me" resolutions people that drop out at the end of January. Now if you see those new years resolution people pass the first 2 months, they usually keep on coming.
Haha! For years I was in that January group.

BUT, with age it starts to become more serious. My last blood-work test in March showed that, while not being yet pre-diabetic, my numbers were rising consistently every year. I needed to do more than make a resolution- I had to change my life-style. My husband bought me a stationary bike and the first couple months were pure struggle because I had been so sedentary. After 4 months I am enjoying it. I now do at least 200-250 minutes of medium/high intensity time on the bike a week. I started Weight Watchers as well a month ago because I obviously needed to change my diet as well.

I am obese-- and a 52 year old woman. I have lost 17 lbs on first month of WW. And, after 4 months on that bike can do 10 miles in 40 minutes.
I just bought a weight set-- that is my next life style change.

Amy
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Haha! For years I was in that January group.

BUT, with age it starts to become more serious. My last blood-work test in March showed that, while not being yet pre-diabetic, my numbers were rising consistently every year. I needed to do more than make a resolution- I had to change my life-style. My husband bought me a stationary bike and the first couple months were pure struggle because I had been so sedentary. After 4 months I am enjoying it. I now do at least 200-250 minutes of medium/high intensity time on the bike a week. I started Weight Watchers as well a month ago because I obviously needed to change my diet as well.

I am obese-- and a 52 year old woman. I have lost 17 lbs on first month of WW. And, after 4 months on that bike can do 10 miles in 40 minutes.
I just bought a weight set-- that is my next life style change.
That's awesome! In all honesty, If you really want something, you will do whatever it takes! You beat me in Cardio. I just like lifting heavy stuff.

I need to go back to the Gym. All this craziness in the world got me paranoid . Haven't been there since April. Luckily I lift heavy things at work for a living.
Discusluv likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That's awesome! In all honesty, If you really want something, you will do whatever it takes! You beat me in Cardio. I just like lifting heavy stuff.

I need to go back to the Gym. All this craziness in the world got me paranoid . Haven't been there since April. Luckily I lift heavy things at work for a living.
My weights range from 2-15lbs- lol! I think for me at my age and fitness level, to get my muscles in shape, it will be a matter of repetitions. I think...
Leeatl and Econde like this.

Amy
post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
My weights range from 2-15lbs- lol! I think for me at my age and fitness level, to get my muscles in shape, it will be a matter of repetitions. I think...
Not too shabby. It looks like you're going the right direction though. Just keep at it. Someone once told me it takes a couple months to form habits, be it good or bad. Dunno if its true or not, but I try to always surpass the 2 month point(good habits).
Discusluv likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Not too shabby. It looks like you're going the right direction though. Just keep at it. Someone once told me it takes a couple months to form habits, be it good or bad. Dunno if its true or not, but I try to always surpass the 2 month point(good habits).
Thank you for the encouragement. Ive heard the same thing about changing habits-- it must be true.

Amy
post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 05:18 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector_Hinojosa View Post
Following along, Iím also a newbie would also be interested in some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same, but I'm still attempting to learn the site. I've watched my share of youtube videos regarding planted tanks and noticed several reference their facebook groups. I wonder how those are in regards to the forums ie: more popular, less popular etc.
Econde likes this.
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A lot of these forums aren't as active as they used to be. I am also a member of another fish forum called fishlore. They are a lot more active and all about general fish but I believe have a dedicated planted tank section.
Econde likes this.
post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 05:53 AM

Well I am about to build my first aquascape so I will be active on this thread! I'm still shopping around. So much to learn!
Greggz, Econde and Discusluv like this.
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am on a bunch of forums and most have little to no activity at this time . Some maybe the Covid issues , but most have always been that way for the last couple years . This forum over all is fairly active in the warmer months and picks up a lot in the colder ones .
Econde likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode