Is this a dead/dying forum? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 186Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
In addition to all the previous responses, aquascaping is an entirely subjective topic. What looks good to me may seem awful to everyone else. In the other subforums there's generally a "right and wrong". Things such as: "Why did all my fish die?" which can then be usually be accurately diagnosed by following a logical path. If you can track it down to overfeeding/not enough water changes then you have your "wrong". That can't be done with aquascaping. It isn't "wrong" to put a rock here and a piece of driftwood there. Because of this personally I don't spend a lot of time in this subforum, just pop in and skim through very seldom.
Alyssa and Discusluv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 06:53 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Forums are definitely not as popular as they used to be but I still think that they have a place in our hobby. I only discovered aquascaping less than a year ago and I can see that it continues to grow although it is clear that it is way more advanced in Asia and Europe versus North America. That being said, I just saw today that Steven Chong from the US just placed second in this year's IAPLC! I believe aquascaping lends itself more to visual mediums like YouTube, Reddit and Instagram. But for detailed advice, I still stick to this and other forums.
Blue Ridge Reef and Alyssa like this.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great posts! I hope I did not come off as complaining, this is a great site and resource. I am trying to find the best resources and best way to utilize those resources for learning aquascaping.

I agree with what many posters stated that images, articles, and especially YouTubes are definitely the way to educate oneself in aquascaping. There are YouTubes that show them built in real time! Those have been super helpful although I am sure it won't be as easy as they show. (my 50g arrives monday, cleaning flourite black sand this weekend, been staging cleaned manzanita and seiyru rock, about to order plants -- the show is on, we'll see exactly how easy ... or not!)

Aquascaping is benefited from a forum due to risk. It's one of the more permanent parts of the tank. You're really sticking it out there. You can redo them but they can be the most difficult, disappointing, messiest and costly aspect to redo, which all lends itself to "let me ask this quick question before I possibly screw this up...bad...".
Alyssa likes this.

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Funny I have been here for awhile and didn't even know there was an aquascaping forum!

IMO, the best way to become involved in the site in general is to start a journal. Folks enjoy following along, and it's a good way to get to know the folks who are regulars on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 10:41 PM
Planted Member

I have been a not so active member of this forum since 2016. I am on here almost everyday, most of the time just reading other people's posts, but I always find something of interest. I did a planted tank journal & in the beginning I did post frequently, however things changed and evolved over the years & I don't update as often as I did in the beginning. I don't think it's a dying forum because I see newbies everyday. I personally really enjoy scrolling through every day to see what everyone else is up to. I have gained a lot of valuable info ,so I will continue to visit and ask questions when I need some expert advice.

post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have to say that I really miss the hustle and bustle this forum used to have going on a daily basis before Kyle sold it.

The changes that were made to the sale/trade board I think REALLY dramatically affected the activity here - this was THE PLACE to go to to sell or buy this or that - and though it still happens ... it is nothing like it used to be, and sadly I think most folks kinda found other avenues and even if it was changed back, might not get that traffic back.

I still check here first and offer here first most of the time ... but its been much different. It's still one of my favorite forums and I hope it never leaves, but I *do* miss how active it was in general.

To stay on topic, I agree that most folks do the journals for talking bout their 'scapes which I think is likely for the best, I always considered this board to be more of a general communication area and the journals to be more discussing a specific set up.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's not just this subforum, it's the entire forum, and other forums as well. Somewhere in the past 5 years, they started to die (again, like others have said, due to youtube, reddit, whatever). I've had to migrate from one reefing forum to another due to a lack of activity in addition to toxicity from the former. And MFK (monsterfishkeepers) is greatly weakened as well.

I typically jump on the general discussion, fish, and shrimp forums since those are what I'm good at. It used to be that throughout a day, I'd be able to see new threads/post within 24 hours that would take up an entire page. Now I'm lucky to see 2-3 new threads/day.

For some reason, Reef2Reef is somehow thriving (I can typically see a new page of unread threads in a random forum within 24-48 hours). There've been talks of them expanding to freshwater, but always dial it back because that would need a name change. It'd be great if somebody could start something like R2R but freshwater oriented...

It's sad, but at least the information is still here. And hopefully people on Youtube/whatever who are willing to provide quality content that isn't riddled full of mistakes (you know exactly what unethical fishtubers I'm talking about).
Greggz, Alyssa and zivvel like this.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 01:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
I have to say that I really miss the hustle and bustle this forum used to have going on a daily basis before Kyle sold it.

The changes that were made to the sale/trade board I think REALLY dramatically affected the activity here - this was THE PLACE to go to to sell or buy this or that - and though it still happens ... it is nothing like it used to be, and sadly I think most folks kinda found other avenues and even if it was changed back, might not get that traffic back.

I still check here first and offer here first most of the time ... but its been much different. It's still one of my favorite forums and I hope it never leaves, but I *do* miss how active it was in general.

To stay on topic, I agree that most folks do the journals for talking bout their 'scapes which I think is likely for the best, I always considered this board to be more of a general communication area and the journals to be more discussing a specific set up.
Where is the sale forum on this site? I see a WTB but is that all there is?
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post

I have heard these changes had to be made to the sales board because of the unethical practices taking place. Sounds to me like these issues were dragging down the integrity of the forum, not contributing to it.

Im curious, too, as to what this "activity" entailed". People just zooming in an out looking for sales and purchases? Low post counts in forum as a whole, but predominantly coming to forum to utilize the sales page? I think we tend to overvalue the importance of a sub-forum due to our own interest/use in/of it. I rarely go into the sales board - maybe 2x a month. If I want plants I buy from other members on sales sub-board. If I want to buy anything else: shrimp, fish, so on and so forth... I go to Aquabid or local Aquarium society meetings/auction..

I am on the forum daily- multiple times a day. I come back because there is a community here. We have in-depth conversations about our tanks, our struggles, and sometimes about our lives outside the forum. If that is a dying mode of communication in the hobby- soo be it. Ill keep coming here every day until its gone.

Amy
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Likewise Discusluv. While I Administer another forum (BIG BIG changes Sept 1st... check it out that day) I also frequent here as well. I do my daily checks and if I find something interesting I reply.

Even if I leave a like and say nothing, it means I have read your thread and well, liked it.

I like the community here, it's specifically plants, something I am most interested in. I have learned volumes on this Forum and also use it for inspiration. I'm sold.

Gary
Greggz, Alyssa, zivvel and 3 others like this.

post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have heard these changes had to be made to the sales board because of the unethical practices taking place. Sounds to me like these issues were dragging down the integrity of the forum, not contributing to it.
It was a change that happened when it was sold - I'd never seen or heard of any issues myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Im curious, too, as to what this "activity" entailed". People just zooming in an out looking for sales and purchases? Low post counts in forum as a whole, but predominantly coming to forum to utilize the sales page? I think we tend to overvalue the importance of a sub-forum due to our own interest/use in/of it. I rarely go into the sales board - maybe 2x a month. If I want plants I buy from other members on sales sub-board. If I want to buy anything else: shrimp, fish, so on and so forth... I go to Aquabid or local Aquarium society meetings/auction..

I am on the forum daily- multiple times a day. I come back because there is a community here. We have in-depth conversations about our tanks, our struggles, and sometimes about our lives outside the forum. If that is a dying mode of communication in the hobby- soo be it. Ill keep coming here every day until its gone.
there were a LOT more conversations - I could spend hours reading new posts every day and still not get them all.

Like I said, I still love this site, but it was a heck of a lot more active before they made the changes. It is what it is. I prefer forums over groups as I like linear discussions, I personally will always prefer forums myself.

This is still one of the best out there IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvand5 View Post
Where is the sale forum on this site? I see a WTB but is that all there is?
It's the board above the "WTB/RAOK" board in the Members Forum section - the "For Sale/Trade" board.

Here is the link: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/153-sale-trade/
ichthyogeek likes this.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Content is king. Buy/Sell/Trade is a bonus extra in my view.

Basing the entire forum on a subsection is not entirely fair. For a planted tank resource, inspiration and having your questions answered in a reasonable amount of time, this place definitely provides that.

Also it is summer here in the Northern Hemisphere, we are out enjoying the remaining warm nice days before... well... the white crappy stuff and colder weather.

Gary

post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Likewise Discusluv. While I Administer another forum (BIG BIG changes Sept 1st... check it out that day) I also frequent here as well. I do my daily checks and if I find something interesting I reply.

Even if I leave a like and say nothing, it means I have read your thread and well, liked it.

I like the community here, it's specifically plants, something I am most interested in. I have learned volumes on this Forum and also use it for inspiration. I'm sold.

Gary
I just became a member of that forum so I can see the changes that go in effect tomorrow.
Crazygar likes this.

Amy
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Right, I'm out of the loop. What forum is this that's going through big changes?

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine Official Forum, I'm the Admin.

Gary
ichthyogeek, Econde and Discusluv like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode