Hello! My first tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Hello! My first tank!

Hi everyone

I just signed up! I'm in Toronto. I just went through a difficult separation and was looking for a decent distraction. I have discovered the planted tank. I bought my first tank ever in April. Its a 20gal long low tech set up. I currently have some hornwort, Anubis nana, guppy grass and dwarf sag starting to refresh after a bit of melt off.

I'm cycling to add livestock. I stalled out with a nitrite spike that is taking a long time to resolve. I'm looking for livestock suggestions! I want to slowly build a community tank. Here's what I'm thinking of working towards:

6-8 small fish (endlers, white clouds, dwarf guppies, other?)
1-2 slightly larger feature fish (I need help here)
10 red cherry or blue velvet shrimp
Any combo suggestions and considerations would be welcome!

Nice meeting you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What are your tank water PH, KH, GH? Best to match the fishes to type of water your going to provide for them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacovore View Post
Hi everyone

I just signed up! I'm in Toronto. I just went through a difficult separation and was looking for a decent distraction. I have discovered the planted tank. I bought my first tank ever in April. Its a 20gal long low tech set up. I currently have some hornwort, Anubis nana, guppy grass and dwarf sag starting to refresh after a bit of melt off.

I'm cycling to add livestock. I stalled out with a nitrite spike that is taking a long time to resolve. I'm looking for livestock suggestions! I want to slowly build a community tank. Here's what I'm thinking of working towards:

6-8 small fish (endlers, white clouds, dwarf guppies, other?)
1-2 slightly larger feature fish (I need help here)
10 red cherry or blue velvet shrimp
Any combo suggestions and considerations would be welcome!

Nice meeting you all
When did you start cycling? If you started in April, it should be past the nitrite spike by now

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
What are your tank water PH, KH, GH? Best to match the fishes to type of water your going to provide for them.
Great point. I'm waiting on my API GH/KH kit to arrive. I know the tap water in this area is known to be on the hard side. I'll know more soon. PH has been testing around 7.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
When did you start cycling? If you started in April, it should be past the nitrite spike by now
ha yeah. I bought the actual tank in April, but it's been cycling with stuff in it since May 18th. I'm using pure ammonia to cycle. Ammonia is at zero every morning, but nitrites have been off the charts. The API test was going from an instant dark purple and fading to grey/blue in about 3 minutes. I'm trying to get them back down with 40% WCs and dosing ammonia to be around 2ppm every morning.

Last edited by Tacovore; 06-12-2020 at 02:15 AM. Reason: beers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:31 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacovore View Post
Great point. I'm waiting on my API GH/KH kit to arrive. I know the tap water in this area is known to be on the hard side. I'll know more soon. PH has been testing around 7.6.

ha yeah. I bought the actual tank in April, but it's been cycling with stuff in it since May 18th. I'm using pure ammonia to cycle. Ammonia is at zero every morning, but nitrites have been off the charts. The API test was going from an instant dark purple and fading to grey/blue in about 3 minutes. I'm trying to get them back down with 40% WCs and dosing ammonia to be around 2ppm every morning.
Oh ok, sounds like you're exactly where you need to be then!

In my old 15 gallon I had some rasboras, a dwarf gourami, and a bunch of cherry shrimp. All got along really well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
Oh ok, sounds like you're exactly where you need to be then!

In my old 15 gallon I had some rasboras, a dwarf gourami, and a bunch of cherry shrimp. All got along really well.
That is awesome. I had that exact combo written down as a possibility. Glad to know it could work! Thanks for this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode