What are you reading now? (aka Book thread) - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
What are you reading now? (aka Book thread)

Ok, with the lock down and all....what are you reading?
What have you read that you'd suggest others to read?

Ill start...

Currently reading The Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett

Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through 40 years of social and political upheaval as internal church politics affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
What have you read that you'd suggest others to read?

Ill start...

Currently reading The Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett

Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through 40 years of social and political upheaval as internal church politics affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists.

Great idea!!

Excellent book! I read Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth many years ago.

I am reading a monster book right now, 800 + pages. It is such an amazing book that I cant recommend it enough-- really, a masterpiece of American History. Its called These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore. Here is a link describing it from publisher:
https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393357424

Amy
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Great idea!!
I am reading a monster book right now, 800 + pages. It is such an amazing book that I cant recommend it enough-- really, a masterpiece of American History. Its called These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore. Here is a link describing it from publisher:
https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393357424

Thanks, ill add it to my list

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:56 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have heard of this book before but I didn't have the time to read it, now I have a lot of time I will be reading it. But before that, I am reading this Kohler Cimarron toilet review https://bestflushingtoilet.org/kohle...marron-review/ because I need to choose which one suits our bathroom.

Last edited by Cummerbund; 06-17-2020 at 04:18 AM. Reason: change and add
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am making my way through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Its not an undertaking for the light-hearted, but I want to finally finish the series before the Amazon series starts. I think it has a good chance to be the next Game of Thrones.
Discusluv likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
I am making my way through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Its not an undertaking for the light-hearted, but I want to finally finish the series before the Amazon series starts. I think it has a good chance to be the next Game of Thrones.
Thank you for mentioning this book series. I loved the Game of Throne books-- almost as much as I liked Stephen King's Gunslinger series- almost -- Ill take a look.

Amy
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning this book series. I loved the Game of Throne books-- almost as much as I liked Stephen King's Gunslinger series- almost -- Ill take a look.
I started it in infantry school when I was in the Marines. He had 5 or 6 books out at the time, but it was taking about a year and a half between books at the time, so I would reread the whole series prior to reading the new one. After a few iterations, I gave up on that strategy and decided to wait until he was finished. He was planning on writing 12, and made it through 11 before he was diagnosed with cancer. He brought in Brandon Sanderson, who is a great author in his own right, to finish off the series. Sanderson couldn't do it in one book and had to write three to conclude it. So, with one prequel, there are 15 books in total. That ended up being almost 12,000 pages. The audiobooks of the series have a 19 day, 5 hours and 25 minute run time.
atm424 and Discusluv like this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I started it in infantry school when I was in the Marines. He had 5 or 6 books out at the time, but it was taking about a year and a half between books at the time, so I would reread the whole series prior to reading the new one. After a few iterations, I gave up on that strategy and decided to wait until he was finished. He was planning on writing 12, and made it through 11 before he was diagnosed with cancer. He brought in Brandon Sanderson, who is a great author in his own right, to finish off the series. Sanderson couldn't do it in one book and had to write three to conclude it. So, with one prequel, there are 15 books in total. That ended up being almost 12,000 pages. The audiobooks of the series have a 19 day, 5 hours and 25 minute run time.
This is the best kind of reading. These longer series give the reader "shades of personality" that you can never get from a single novel. Just like you and I change over a life-time, an author who writes about a character over a long period of time is able to give gradients of personality that make for characters that stay with you long after you set the book down.

You had a lot of self-control to wait for the author to finish writing the series-- I could never do that.

Amy
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
This is the best kind of reading. These longer series give the reader "shades of personality" that you can never get from a single novel. Just like you and I change over a life-time, an author who writes about a character over a long period of time is able to give gradients of personality that make for characters that stay with you long after you set the book down.

You had a lot of self-control to wait for the author to finish writing the series-- I could never do that.
There was lots of down time for reading in the Marines, but less once I got out and went to school, especially grad school. I suppose that I should specify reading for pleasure. Now I read after my kids are in bed and before I sleep. I'm about a year in at this point with another to go.
Discusluv likes this.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
There was lots of down time for reading in the Marines, but less once I got out and went to school, especially grad school. I suppose that I should specify reading for pleasure. Now I read after my kids are in bed and before I sleep. I'm about a year in at this point with another to go.
I hear you about grad school. I just finished getting my Masters In English Literature last year and it consumed most of my time. I commuted to school 3 times weekly ( 5 hour a day drive) from Elk Grove, Ca. to San Francisco. It was exhausting. I am not a conventional student which made it difficult. I am a 52 year old grandmother.
IKeepShrimp likes this.

Amy
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Ive read that series twice. Absolutely fantastic!

Bump: currently reading:

The Book of Honor: The Secret Lives and Deaths of CIA Operatives
by Ted Gup

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
Just finished reading "The Face in the Frost," by John Bellairs. Great short fantasy work. From the Amazon blurb:

Quote:
Prospero, a tall, skinny misfit of a wizard, lives in the South Kingdom—a patchwork of feuding duchies and small manors, all loosely loyal to one figurehead king. Along with his necromancer friend Roger Bacon, who has been on a quest to find a mysterious book, Prospero must flee his home to escape ominous pursuers. Thus begins an adventure that will lead him to a grove where his old rival, Melichus, is falsely rumored to be buried and to a less-than-hospitable inn in the town of Five Dials—and ultimately into a dangerous battle with origins in a magical glass paperweight.

And I just started Andrew Roberts' biography of Napoleon. Only a few pages in, but very interesting.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Just finished reading "The Face in the Frost," by John Bellairs. Great short fantasy work. From the Amazon blurb:
Sounds like a modern take on Shakespeare's character "Prospero" in The Tempest.

Amy
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

If a Pirate I Must Be...
The true story of Black Bart the King of the Caribbean Pirates
by Richard Sanders

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Planted Member

HOMODEUS

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode