COVID-19 Prep - The Planted Tank Forum
 291Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
COVID-19 Prep

So who's prepared to eat their fish if things get really bad? I'd probably start with my angelfish, battered, and fried in oil. Maybe dipped in ketchup if the flavor is off. I've heard discus are pretty decent eats. Not sure I'd eat a pleco.

What's the deal with everyone buying TP? Out of all the things to stock up on, why TP? I could understand dry goods, gasoline, water, maybe ammo. What is some of craziest stuff you guys have seen?
deeda and Cinnamonamon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm far from a vegetarian, but I'd have to stick with Aquatic Salads. Throw in some AR mini for presentation. You know, treat myself

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 11:55 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
I'm far from a vegetarian, but I'd have to stick with Aquatic Salads. Throw in some AR mini for presentation. You know, treat myself

Not sure about you, but I could probably create a full week of salads from my tank. Taste wize, probably not worth it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:12 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
What is wrong with some of you? Re-think your remarks before sounding off. Seriously. On an official, moderator-telling-you-to level and on a human level.

Instead of giving everyone an opportunity to come across as insane or disrespectful, I'm here to remind everyone that mocking, joking or otherwise being an idiot won't be tolerated when it comes to discussion of this pandemic.

My advice? Bite your tongue if you're going to pop off with smart remarks. Not everyone on this forum is based in the US. Many are in the EU, Southeast Asia, UK, Australia. Many in nations that have been hard-hit.

You think it won't hit you? It may not. But it may impact someone you know. My source (for 11 years) for Cardinal Shrimp, coincidentally a forum member, wasn't too concerned a few weeks ago. She's dead today. 41. Biologist. Great shape at her annual physical in January. I'll share more at some point when this is all over.

Seriously. Bite your tongues if you so much as have the urge to be ridiculous. This is not the time.

P.S. Take care of yourselves and make time to zone out and relax when possible if you're stressed. Sit in front of your tanks! This hobby community is pretty great, so remember how much fun it can be if things get difficult.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-13-2020 at 03:01 AM. Reason: update
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Said to infect half of America by some time, 150 million. I worry for my pops, hes old
Discusluv and evil8 like this.
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:34 AM
Captain

[quote=somewhatshocked;11318667]What is wrong with some of you? Re-think your remarks before sounding off. Seriously. On an official, moderator-telling-you-to level and on a human level.

Instead of giving everyone an opportunity to come across as insane or disrespectful, I'm here to remind everyone that mocking, joking or otherwise being an idiot won't be tolerated when it comes to discussion of this pandemic.

My advice? Bite your tongue if you're going to pop off with smart remarks. Not everyone on this forum is based in the US. Many are in the EU, Southeast Asia, UK, Australia. Many in nations that have been hard-hit.

You think it won't hit you? It may not. But it may impact someone you know. My source (for 11 years) for Cardinal Shrimp, coincidentally a forum member, wasn't too concerned a few weeks ago. She's dead today. 41. Biologist. Great shape at her annual physical in January. I'll share more at some point when this is all over.

Seriously. Bite your tongues if you so much as have the urge to be ridiculous. This is not the time.[
/quote]

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi All,

Thank you @somewhatshocked. Like @Quint my family is at 'ground zero' here in the Seattle area and believe me it is not fun or funny. My wife and I are both 70ish and we have stayed home for a week now. For older adults the fatality rate is high. Our local aquarium club, GSAS, just cancelled our annual big auction because no groups are allowed that larger than 250 people. For smaller groups you have to maintain a 3 foot separation from each other. We may have to cancel meetings all the way to next fall. All schools K-12 in 3 counties, 44 districts are closed. All the major Universities are closed or doing classes online. Most companies have told office workers to 'work from home' but some folks can't find daycare. Restaurants are basically empty.

You get the idea. Don't kid yourself, COVID-19 is extremely contagious and even if you are younger you don't want to bring this home to you folks or grandparents. Also, just because you only have a few 'known cases' in your area that is only because they are just starting testing.....the numbers will go up. I am not medically trained, but I am thinking this could easily take three or more months before we see the peak and then it will hopefully start to ramp down. In the meantime, please keep yourselves safe. -Roy

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
Said to infect half of America by some time, 150 million. I worry for my pops, hes old
50% at a minimum, according to an epidemiologist friend at U of Washington who's been doing a lot of the viral sequencing for Seattle's outbreak. She says up to 70%. And yes, the very old, immunocompromised, and those with other risk factors like diabetes will get hit hard. Here the Coachella Fest has been cancelled, and a dr friend says they've created a COVID-19 unit at his hospital, and are fighting with our very conservative county to declare a public health emergency. Hasn't happened yet.

Given how the CDC & the administration bungled first the testing (and still haven't gotten us to drive-thru testing like South Korea) and the public health response, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Without testing, we have no clue what the prevalence or incidence rates are. Stopping flights from the EU (but not Britain? WTF?) is closing the barn door after the horse got out. So yes, wash your hands, take care of each other, and if we need to practice social distancing we can spend more times with our tanks, and connecting with our community on here.....
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 05:34 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
We're all entitled to our opinion but not our own facts. Not gonna clean this thread up more than once.

Keep it cordial, don't spread disinformation, spare others any snide remarks.

And remember: Please keep your racism to yourself. No exceptions there.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
We just got a talk today at work about how if we have a cough, we're supposed to "drag our butts to work and don't use the virus as an excuse to take time off". Nevermind that Covid-19 is presenting as just cold symptoms for a lot of people. (And even if you end up with a bad case, that doesn't mean it won't start out mild.) If we think we have the virus, we're supposed to get tested and stay home if it's positive, but if it's negative we're expected to come in. I asked if we would get paid for the time off since we were being ordered to stay home, they said they'd get back to me.

Wanna know the kicker? I work in a grocery store.

Proud member of
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Everyone else is going bonkers at the grocery stores, but I'm starting to run low on fish food. Going to my LFS today before they end up shutting down. lol

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
my daughter have no school for 4 weeks, the city school district council announce all public school closure today, re open after Easter.
and this afternoon I went to the local Walmart, it was busy, while people doing shopping stocking up necessaries, bunch of high school students from the nearby high school happily running around celebrating their first afternoon of unusual liberty.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

I work at the airport. Scary times indeed. Here in San Antonio pretty much every school in the city is closed until further notice. Hopefully I still have a job by time this is all over with.
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 02:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulstormTX View Post
I work at the airport. Scary times indeed. Here in San Antonio pretty much every school in the city is closed until further notice. Hopefully I still have a job by time this is all over with.

I hear your pain. Just found out all K-12 schools in Illinois are closed 3-17-20 to at least 3-31-20. I'm not a teacher, but I am curious are the teachers going to get paid during these times? Sadly teachers seem to be one of the more underpaid workforce as it is.

As an airport worker, I can either see you being overly busy doing extra duties for local flights or completely out of work...

Scary times indeed.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As a retiree in my 60's with other underlying factors, my anxiety level is at an all time high. Fortunately, I don't have to travel to work or anywhere else. I did go to the grocery store a few days ago but was still a bit concerned. Depending on how things continue to progress, may have to try PeaPod delivery services. Most of the schools in the surrounding area have closed for a couple a weeks and some for a month or more. And my neighbor's college-age daughter is now self-quarantined in her Boston apartment after cutting short her vacation in Spain.

But on a nicer note, I own a townhouse condo in a community of 100 units - single people, couples - both working and retired -, families with children, really a great mix of folks. Many of us have dogs so when out walking our pets it's quite usual to run into one or several other neighbors. As my dog is a senior, she's not walking well or too far any more so we're out much less. And often lately I'm cleaning up inside accidents, rather than outside messes. So we've been off schedule from some of the dog owners I usually see daily. A few days ago one of these people texted me to see if everything was OK as she hadn't seen me with the dog for several days. I assured her we both - the dog and I - were fine and thanked her for checking in.

So in this time of heightened anxiety and worry for many, maybe give a thought to someone close to you who may have greater concerns about this pandemic. Just check in a little more often in to see that all is well. And then send this to my son at .....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode