COVID-19 Prep - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 291Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I love your artwork! I'm married to an artist myself, and hoping she paints more during our quarantine. I've got an aquarium acrylic painting I started working on 2-3 years back I could stand to revisit one of these days too. It's discouraging when you see someone much better than you will ever be doing what you are attempting though! But before we started occasionally painting together I didn't fully appreciate how much more talent others have. She brought me to a figure drawing class once and I wanted to break pencils by the end of it. In 30 seconds my wife could sketch out every outline of the live model while mine looked literally like a child had drawn the human form. Even if I got the shape of a leg kind of right, it would invariably be 50% larger than the other leg I'd drawn. And then I'd look over and she was shading and perfecting her torso while I could draw a stick figure from memory and be almost as close as what I'd accomplished. I can scarcely think of anything more challenging that seems like it would be easier. People say that about my own hobby of target shooting and archery, but it's not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I love Stephen King-- but, mostly his earlier stuff-- The Stand and The Gunslinger series are both masterpieces of literature.
Agree, very much. It's a good thing he was so prolific early, because most of his later work reads to me like a ghost writer wanting to be Stephen King. I hate to sound like that cool kid who says, "I loved Beck's early work before he got famous," but sometimes it's just true. You can look at almost any artist in any medium who produced content for a long time and there are "periods" and "phases" they go through, and you'll like some better than others. And in some cases, some are almost universally liked better -like King's early stuff. Of course, he feels the opposite of us!
Discusluv and Desert Pupfish like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Still going to work everyday. DOD doesnt shut down and I dont qualify with my job for teleworking. The commute is alot easier, much less traffic.

Bump: Still going to work everyday. DOD doesnt shut down and I dont qualify with my job for teleworking. The commute is alot easier, much less traffic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Thanks @SueD !

I love Stephen King-- but, mostly his earlier stuff-- The Stand and The Gunslinger series are both masterpieces of literature.
I agree. I read most of his stuff early on. Never read the Gunslinger series but I remember buying The Green Mile, chapter by chapter. I haven't been able to read anything of his over the last several years. There were two I started and never finished (unusual for me). One was Under The Dome, and can't remember the other.

But my all time favorite was The Stand.
Discusluv likes this.

post #79 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What else is everybody reading to pass the time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #80 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've been a science fiction fan for a long time and this virus made me think of how many good books were written on pandemics and related life, so went down to the library to try to find some of the old authors and reread some of the ones, I have mostly forgotten. Kind of interesting how so much science fiction does eventually become fact.
Things that we laughed at when we first read but then turned out true. Things like spaceships with fins and come back to land, standing upright on the tail section?
Problem is that none of the old stories nor authors I liked come up any more. Anybody else remember Isamoff or close to that spelling?
post #81 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I've been a science fiction fan for a long time and this virus made me think of how many good books were written on pandemics and related life, so went down to the library to try to find some of the old authors and reread some of the ones, I have mostly forgotten. Kind of interesting how so much science fiction does eventually become fact.
Things that we laughed at when we first read but then turned out true. Things like spaceships with fins and come back to land, standing upright on the tail section?
Problem is that none of the old stories nor authors I liked come up any more. Anybody else remember Isamoff or close to that spelling?
Isaac Asimov?

Amy
post #82 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@dang The Right Place For is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your works of art!
Greggz likes this.

|

post #83 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 02:49 AM
Captain

Quote:
What else is everybody reading to pass the time?
This web site....

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #84 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Isaac Asimov?
Dang! No wonder I can't remember the titles. I can't even get close on the author! Yes. He used to be a fav of mine.
Now does anybody remember a book/story that I "think" was his, called "Thor's Hammer?
I've wanted to read it for details several different times but never find it. Seems a guy was bitten by a rattlesnake and the venom protected him from a world wide pandemic.
I've got lots of rattlesnakes around my area. Maybe a case of last try to see if it worked?
Maybe I do actually have too much time on my hands.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.
post #85 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I see an article that gives me lots of hope as I constantly worry about running out of the necessary things.
God will now provide it --- or at least do "something" to take care of the problem!
https://www.newsweek.com/conservativ...l-help-1494903
Too funny! I learned about the miracle of the loaves & the fishes in Sunday school, but don't remember anything about toilet paper. Maybe that was in the Apocrypha?

Sounds like this guy's followers may just get themselves Raptured sooner rather than later.....

Quote:
called "Thor's Hammer?
That's a kind of java fern, no?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Last edited by Desert Pupfish; 03-31-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: edit
post #86 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:09 AM
Plant Lover

Thanks, all, for the comments on my work. You can see more if you go to the website. BRF, cool that your wife is an artist. Hang in there... wish you were in one of my drawing classes, I might be able to help things go faster in terms of seeing proportion and such. There are some techniques that could help. Quint, stay safe... and thank you.

I just finished Gods of the Upper Air by Charles King. It is a history of modern Anthropology starting with Franz Boas, and folks like Ruth Benedict, Margaret Mead, Zora Neal Thurston, and Gregory Bateson. Really interesting and timely too. Now reading The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth. Wanted finally to read it before watching the HBO mini-series version... also very timely. Roth's writing isn't poetic (like Charles Frazier, for example), but his way of arcing the narrative is powerful and deep. There is something deeply prescient about this book (in a bit of an upsetting way, alas).

When my fiancť came home tonight, she reported that the parent of one of her students, the student, and sibling are all running high fevers. The docs are saying no need to test them yet. We are crossing our fingers. Also, our wedding was planned for early in the summer. Probably have to postpone. No one knows. It's small potatoes though compared to what's going on. Stay safe all, and any of you health care folks, thank you!
Discusluv likes this.

29 gallon, pH controlled CO2, Current USA + Pro LED, Eco-complete, Eheim Classic.

20L gallon, same configuration with HOB filter, suffering from tank size envy.

Last edited by dang; 03-31-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: grammar correction
post #87 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been rereading Jasper Fforde recently, and really enjoying that. Thanks for reminding me about Asimov - never did finish the Foundation series!

Sorry to hear about postponing your wedding. Hope you are all doing alright, too!
post #88 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
So who's prepared to eat their fish if things get really bad? I'd probably start with my angelfish, battered, and fried in oil. Maybe dipped in ketchup if the flavor is off. I've heard discus are pretty decent eats. Not sure I'd eat a pleco.

What's the deal with everyone buying TP? Out of all the things to stock up on, why TP? I could understand dry goods, gasoline, water, maybe ammo. What is some of craziest stuff you guys have seen?
I'll feed you to me fish.

All you need are guppies, and snails...
post #89 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Funny to watch how things have slowly evolved! I guess it is now going back the other way on some things as we still move forward as they release more of the dire results we should expect. I live in the Austin, Tx area and it is almost comical to watch folks try to deny there is anything unusual happening around them.
Seventy UT kids take off on a charter for Cabo, Mexico and come back with 28 positive tests and 18 still waiting for the results? Guess they are sure it won't kill anybody as bullet proof as them and their family?
Then the price of toilet paper seems to have bottomed out.
A teacher posted this on Craigslist free items this morning. Seems they wanted to make sure everybody got some so they stocked up, WAY UP! Like hundreds of rolls (check the picture) and now they want to give it away! Wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just let other folks buy it to start?
https://austin.craigslist.org/zip/d/...102312420.html
Meanwhile it has finally filtered down to doing the math and telling us what death count we should expect. Pretty late in the game as those figures were originally put out by Harvard somewhere in early Feb, I believe. It's still early but the expected count for the Austin area is now announced as about 6000 dead!
But that is also based on folks doing it right and I don't see much of that once you get out of town. They had to totally ban using some of the parks as the beer cans were piling up too high with no maintenance workers to clear the parks and no rangers to keep the crowds down.
YUP! It's going to be a ride.
Stay home and stay safe!
Asteroid likes this.
post #90 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
What's freak'in me out is just one month ago, I was in Vegas walking the crowded strip, going to breakfast buffets where everyone helps themselves and I'm sure the virus was there already. I also took an excursion to the Grand Canyon. We had a choice between a crowded coach bus or a smaller 4x4 that fit 10 people. We splurged and took the more expensive 4x4 and only 6 people booked it. Unintended, but I'm glad we didn't take the crowded coach bus.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode