Forum Decorum - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 327Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
This is how you became connected to my threads- this type of connection is not universal to all those that follow my updates.

A lot of times I just post text- no pictures. Some dont find pictures necessary.
A journal to me is like an instructional book. Not every post (page) needs pics, but there are always pics to show what is happening. Could you imagine Amano Nature Aquariums, Ecology of the Planted Tank, Sunken Gardens, etc. without some pics.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I've only heard about these great wars in folklore. It must have been something to actually have lived through them.
Just go on your FB page and scroll for a while. Same thing.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
This thread has me feeling the need to protect myself from the perils of the interwebs.

I'm new here but have been a member of a few forums over the years related to arboriculture and motorcycles and I'll say I've found this forum to be very respectful and quite tame as far as egos and temper. A very enjoyable place.
Ultimately, it's all about the thickness of one's skin.
post #63 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
A journal to me is like an instructional book. Not every post (page) needs pics, but there are always pics to show what is happening. Could you imagine Amano Nature Aquariums, Ecology of the Planted Tank, Sunken Gardens, etc. without some pics.
Yes, this is, for you, how you experience the forum. It is not the same for everyone.
Deanna likes this.

Amy

post #64 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Maybe ...maybe not. I haven't seen any statistics and my own personal involvement has been in this forum (by far, the heaviest), Barr's and 2 or 3 video editing forums (ooops ...I just revealed another piece of the puzzle). Interestingly, the video editing forums are almost completely devoid of picture or videos. It's all about relating information. When you post, I don't bother with your photos and can't even recall what your tank looks like. I'm only interested in what you say. Pictures, to me, are only useful when showing how something is done (not the result of a process) or when showing a problem.
Wow you can't recall what Burr's tank looks like???

That's astounding......and sad for you. You are truly missing something special. One of the best in the world.

So do you think they should forget the pictures and judge the AGA Dutch category by descriptions?

I've got to say, I just don't get this entire line of thinking............but to each his own. I guess sometimes we just need to agree to disagree.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to look forward to the next time you describe how well your methods are working
Deanna and Asteroid like this.

---
---
post #65 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

So for the PICS-R-NOT NECESSARY crowd. If Amanos World Aquarium Books, Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants and Ecology of the Planted Tank were available in a no-pic edition would you purchase that edition? I'm trying to understand this.
Greggz and MD500_Pilot like this.

post #66 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So for the PICS-R-NOT NECESSARY crowd. If Amanos World Aquarium Books, Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants and Ecology of the Planted Tank were available in a no-pic edition would you purchase that edition? I'm trying to understand this.
I think this has got so far out there that they will say yes to anything.

And I am trying to understand this as well. Two possibilities....it's complete nonsense...or we are not as evolved??

So far I am just getting more confused.
Asteroid likes this.

---
---
post #67 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Wow you can't recall what Burr's tank looks like???

That's astounding......and sad for you. You are truly missing something special. One of the best in the world.

So do you think they should forget the pictures and judge the AGA Dutch category by descriptions?

I've got to say, I just don't get this entire line of thinking............but to each his own. I guess sometimes we just need to agree to disagree.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to look forward to the next time you describe how well your methods are working
You dont understand it because it is a different approach to the forum than that of your own. It is "sad" only to you and others who need to have these visuals to enjoy the forum.

You might try to understand that people have various motivations-- not all of which match your own.

I do not seek out pictures of planted tanks routinely-- only when Im thinking of redoing mine or welcoming someone to the forum. Otherwise, it is unimportant.

Do I think its sad that others need pictures to enjoy the forum- no, to each his/her own.
Greggz and Deanna like this.

Amy
post #68 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yes, this is, for you, how you experience the forum. It is not the same for everyone.
Can I ask why do you post pics of your discus. Why not just describe them? Just trying to understand.
Greggz likes this.

post #69 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Can I ask why do you post pics of your discus. Why not just describe them? Just trying to understand.
I'm curious too.....looking forward to this answer.

---
---
post #70 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I do like to share pictures. I like to see them as well.

The point is, we diverge in how important they are to the experience of the forum.

"Pics or it didn't happen" would be the last motto I would ascribe to the success of a forum.

Are pics a component of a forum- yes, in certain circumstances. But, photos are not the all to end all.

Amy
post #71 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I will say this forum does make adding photos super easy, no 3rd party hosting and embedding unless you really want to make something look more formal. Certain things are helpful to have photos. In fact great photos are sometimes critical. It's hard to see someone's algae issue when it's not a half decent photo. I mean a phone camera does alright for most stuff these days.

Edit: why do I get errors loading some photos? The attached ones that is, it says "the image cant be loaded" but when you click "the image" it then works fine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_164543_1581480855183.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	893267  

post #72 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

The point is, we diverge in how important they are to the experience of the forum.

"Pics or it didn't happen" would be the last motto I would ascribe to the success of a forum.

Are pics a component of a forum- yes, in certain circumstances. But, photos are not the all to end all.
I don't think it has to be the be all to end all, but take you for example. With all your knowledge of fish, fish diseases, etc, just showing one pic of your fish/fish tanks makes an incredible difference in the validity of your information. I would wonder without the pic if you were truly experienced with applicable knowledge or just talking. There would be nothing separating your information from just reading something on the internet without seeing it's application.
Greggz likes this.

post #73 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I don't think it has to be the be all to end all, but take you for example. With all your knowledge of fish, fish diseases, etc, just showing one pic of your fish/fish tanks makes an incredible difference in the validity of your information. I would wonder without the pic if you were truly experienced with applicable knowledge or just talking. There would be nothing separating your information from just reading something on the internet without seeing it's application.
Maybe-- I dont know. I help alot of people with disease questions that have never posted before on the forum or have less than 10 posts. Many end up here specifically asking for disease information and never come back after they are helped. Look at post counts in disease section, you will see that this happens frequently.

Others who have been here awhile will say, discusluv Im happy that you responded--- because they know that I try to help others with these types of questions and have some knowledge of active ingredients in medications. Pictures may have given them confidence in my recommendations as well. Not sure.
Greggz likes this.

Amy
post #74 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

So you like to share pictures, and you like to see them as well. IMO, you are like about 99% of the forum.

Not sure why you are defending those that pontificate but post no pics crowd? You are not one of them.

But in the end, like I said before, it will not change anything. It has become crystal clear to me tonight why some will never, ever post pictures. I suspected it before but the irrational defense speaks for itself.

Honestly it's just crazy in this digital day and age that we are even having this discussion. Heck, most of us are taking 1,000 times more pics than we ever did in the past. A gazillion pics are being posted every day, and somehow pics of an aquarium are hush, hush and need to be guarded?

This is such complete nonsense I don't even know where to begin. I'm an older guy. I've been around the block a few times. And IMO, there are very few hidden mysteries in life. Usually things are exactly as they appear. And when folks don't post pics, it's really not that complicated..... the most likely obvious reason is likely the correct one.

And here is the thing. It doesn't matter if the pics are good or bad or indifferent. Bad pics help as much or more than good ones. The idea is that you are part of the community and sharing.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

---
---
post #75 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
So you like to share pictures, and you like to see them as well. IMO, you are like about 99% of the forum.

Not sure why you are defending those that pontificate but post no pics crowd? You are not one of them.

But in the end, like I said before, it will not change anything. It has become crystal clear to me tonight why some will never, ever post pictures. I suspected it before but the irrational defense speaks for itself.

Honestly it's just crazy in this digital day and age that we are even having this discussion. Heck, most of us are taking 1,000 times more pics than we ever did in the past. A gazillion pics are being posted every day, and somehow pics of an aquarium are hush, hush and need to be guarded?

This is such complete nonsense I don't even know where to begin. I'm an older guy. I've been around the block a few times. And IMO, there are very few hidden mysteries in life. Usually things are exactly as they appear. And when folks don't post pics, it's really not that complicated..... the most likely obvious reason is almost always always correct.

And here is the thing. It doesn't matter if the pics are good or bad or indifferent. Bad pics help as much or more than good ones. The idea is that you are part of the community and sharing.
So you are saying that the very articulate @Deanna and very experienced @Edward have some ulterior motive for not posting pictures as you have long suspected.

And what is this ulterior motive? What is this obvious reason?
Deanna likes this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode