Forum Decorum - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 327Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,561
I thought of another forum decorum item, on the flip side of not posting your own picture, when you do post a picture to try and support your point, you should state where the pic is from so, someone doesn't have to ask "is that yours?"
Greggz likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asteroid is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
I do think it is a good way of spotting trolls however. I do see your point about personal information.
Like the saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words"
Pictures are definitely helpful when a poster has a problem. Other than that, though, the only value that I can see is to act as inspiration, which can be found with simple Google searching. However, pictures of beautiful tanks may also cause frustration when those that try to reach these brief moments in time (perfect pictures) can't hold their tanks in those positions. Two-edged sword?
Desert Pupfish likes this.
Deanna is offline  
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 PM
snails are your friend
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,101
Ours is an unusual hobby in some ways. There are levels to pretty much every endeavor as one progresses and masters the basics. But I feel like aquarium keeping differs from most. To use another hobby of my own as comparison, a total newcomer to shooting or archery isn't going to hit many bullseyes -whereas someone with a good sense of aesthetic can create a lovely first aquarium with nothing but Java moss and fern. I think where a lot of well-meaning newcomers go wrong is assuming that because their Java moss and Java fern is green and growing, that what they are doing is the "right" way to keep a planted aquarium.

I also can not think of a hobby in which I've changed my own way of doing things more often than this one. I've kept aquariums for 32 adult years straight and would probably cringe at my own advice just a decade ago. And the more I learn, the more questions I have. Oftentimes the hardest part is figuring out the right question to ask.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

If you are going to pontificate pictures should be mandatory. No exceptions.

Would only make this forum better, more helpful, and more interesting.

I mostly agree. I can think of twice in the last week or so that someone showing their own tank was rather illuminating. What I would like to avoid though, is ever making someone feel bad about the aquarium they have labored over and are proud of. There are enough pitfalls just in the way of various disease, nuisance algae, nutrient poisoning and such that discourage people that I wouldn't want to ever dishearten them about their tank at its best. The more people that have success in this hobby -however they define it -the better it is for all of us. One reason I make it a point to hammer that "like" button when people show their tanks. Having said that, a simple photo of their aquarium can truly say 1000 words.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is online now  
 
post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Pictures are definitely helpful when a poster has a problem. Other than that, though, the only value that I can see is to act as inspiration, which can be found with simple Google searching. However, pictures of beautiful tanks may also cause frustration when those that try to reach these brief moments in time (perfect pictures) can't hold their tanks in those positions. Two-edged sword?
i'll have to disagree with you there (not trolling, just disagreeing). To me there is a big difference if you are getting advice from someone and that same person can show you pictures of their own setup vs just randomly attaching a pic from Joe Internet.

It doesn't always have to be eye candy, it's simply the results of doing something a particular way and supporting your method with something real.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asteroid is online now  
post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
pictures make any information more believable and more compelling, especially since this is mostly a visual hobby.
Good point. It is a visual hobby.

If you were on a painting forum, and someone said they have mastered a new technique and created a beautiful breathtaking painting, would you consider taking their advice based solely on their statement? Probably not. Would you even believe they have done so? Again, likely not.

But if they show you the results, then it's compelling and adds weight to the words.

I know I say this often, but it's a pet peeve of mine. And I don't mean that in any argumentative or negative way. It's just a fact.

And this talk of personal privacy is not very compelling. We are talking about pictures of a fish tank on a forum. I can't see much risk there.

I am sure this probably won't change a thing, but thought it was worth a try (again).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #21 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 1,688
All, at least, partially true. However a painting is fixed and doesn't change, unlike our tanks. Pictures of beautiful tanks may represent a tank that falls apart in the next month. While I believe that all of your pictures are, truly, your tanks and represent the current state of your tanks and your ability to maintain that state, I have no proof of it ...nor could it be proven readily.

No one sees risk until it is too late, just ask Equifax. I have reason to fear the "Dark Web."
Deanna is offline  
post #22 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Planted Member
 
ursamajor's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Why does everyone keep killing fish with Mars rocks, when everyone in low orbit only uses Moon rocks? <fight!>
I'll have you know I've never killed a fish with Mars rocks!

Kidding aside, I think this forum does well with setting and enforcing community expectations. I think it's very important for it to be clear how we're expected to act on the forum AND what will happen when we act outside those bounds. It helps keep things fair and predictable.

For example, things went off the rails when Walstad stopped by a while back. But guidelines were enforced, offending threads and users were removed, and it seems the community survived. I realize we should strive for better outcomes than "survival," but considering how heated things got it could have been worse. I think we have guidelines and responsible moderators to thank for that!
Greggz and Desert Pupfish like this.

Everything flows.
ursamajor is online now  
post #23 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Streetwise's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Vermont
Posts: 967
Unfortunately, she left because of negative forum members. That was depressing, especially for this dirt tank guy.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Media:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Streetwise is offline  
post #24 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:59 PM
Planted Member
 
ursamajor's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Unfortunately, she left because of negative forum members. That was depressing, especially for this dirt tank guy.
That was regretful. Fortunately, the negativity she was targeted with is not normal or acceptable on this forum. I hope we get another chance to show her that.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Everything flows.
ursamajor is online now  
post #25 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 149
Honestly people need to understand it's just a forum, your here on your own will to get help and give it, typically with just a few minutes of your spare time a day. When you post a thread you get replies with various opinions, of which you take with a grain of salt. Everyone's opinions are different, because everyone's experiences are different, some have more experience, some are forum-smart or read a lot. Or some just think of different solutions.

Let everyone post whatever they want to spew, then pick through it and do some of your own googling, and most the time you'll get a good answer.

Honestly nothing irritates me more than getting a bunch of great responses on a thread I made to view then have two people argue with eachother over something small for 6 days, typically within a hour I've read the initial main responses, googled everything, found the answer and have abandoned the derailed thread. I dont have time to read a book of ego fights. Yes you might be able to point something out that someone is clearly wrong about, but do so nicely and briefly, not the whole "I demand prooooffff and formal citations!" Because drama eats a forum, and frankly nobody cares. If someone starts arguing with me, they have their view, I have mine. They have their tanks, I have mine, to each your own, I dont have time to argue with a stranger over some forum ego.

The real problem with forums is the spoonfeeding to very inexperienced new members, if they are spoon fed too much they are unwilling to Google or self research and will believe anything they are told as soon as they hear it out of laziness, which in this hobby is deadly. Social media is typically filled with that fast life mentality, typically those individuals arent into a hobby for the long run.

I have 3 hobbies, fishkeeping, airsofting at events with old friends even though we all have kids these days and I run a multiserver minecraft network I started 7 years ago. I've been active on and hosted many forums that will and have died, why bother building up a reputation to get archived or lost on a abandoned hard drive... Its a personal hobby and when in person none of my forum posts are on my forehead. Most owners of anything in the digital world keep up with it for about 10 years before cutting off their last hosting bill, because life catches up and interests change. Not to mention hardware and software changes screwing hosts over in the long run.


Sorry if that all seemed pessimistic, having a great community that last a long time is great. This is a solid forum that I hope to see around for many more years.

It however is important to keep file backups, have multiple owners with full access if one goes MIA and to stay with leading open source forum software when possible with converters if you want a forum to last 15+ years.
burr740 and nbr1rodeoclown like this.
Ben3721 is online now  
post #26 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:06 AM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
PTrader: (125/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 5,686
If you're going to proclaim something on the internet it takes pics to be taken seriously. Its been that way from day one. The first meme ever was probably 'pics or it didnt happen'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




burr740 is online now  
post #27 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
If you're going to proclaim something on the internet it takes pics to be taken seriously. Its been that way from day one. The first meme ever was probably 'pics or it didnt happen'
I mean I think with some forums with profiles that allow you to list your creations, such as tanks can authenticate ones success and make their words carry more weight. Afterall I just have a common pleco in a half empty bowl for all you know lol (it's a joke to those who didnt get it)
Greggz, burr740 and Asteroid like this.
Ben3721 is online now  
post #28 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
All, at least, partially true. However a painting is fixed and doesn't change, unlike our tanks. Pictures of beautiful tanks may represent a tank that falls apart in the next month. While I believe that all of your pictures are, truly, your tanks and represent the current state of your tanks and your ability to maintain that state, I have no proof of it ...nor could it be proven readily.

No one sees risk until it is too late, just ask Equifax. I have reason to fear the "Dark Web."
I think your caught up in thinking the pics are just about showing some eye candy in en effort to kinda "show-off" and they don't represent the tank in it's normal everyday state. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's not really about that, the pics simply validate what someone has accomplished using certain husbandry skills.

When i do take a pic, i will admit I try to take a good one, since I look at the tank as an art form. Plants do grow, the tank won't always look that way in the pic, but it is still a real representation of what one has accomplished through their technique.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asteroid is online now  
post #29 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,378
I have seen the demand for pics used as a way of demeaning others -- it is not always meant as a gesture of helpfulness.
Like, for instance, against Edward. Over and over again- harping on him.
He has been gone for awhile, I wonder if those involved were successful in finally shutting him down.
So, if your asking me, thank goodness this motto "pics or didnt happen" is only held to be important by some and not all members here.
Blue Ridge Reef, Fishly and Deanna like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #30 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
All, at least, partially true. However a painting is fixed and doesn't change, unlike our tanks. Pictures of beautiful tanks may represent a tank that falls apart in the next month. While I believe that all of your pictures are, truly, your tanks and represent the current state of your tanks and your ability to maintain that state, I have no proof of it ...nor could it be proven readily.

No one sees risk until it is too late, just ask Equifax. I have reason to fear the "Dark Web."
The change is actually what makes it more interesting. I really look forward to seeing what's new in the dozens and dozens of journals that I follow. Not to hear what's new, but to see what's new. It's what makes the forum fun and brings people back (and new people to the hobby!).

Without pics this site would die. Who is going to follow a journal where someone "tells" you how wonderful things are going? Or "tells" you how they changed their layout and how fantastic it is. Or "tells" you they changed this or that and their plants are peaking and oh what a beautiful flowery stem. Frankly without pics it's not very compelling, inspiring, instructive, or worth reading, at least to me.

As to proof, I don't know what more one could possibly do than post regular pictures of their results. Could it all be a mirage? Well there is that one in a million chance, but I don't think that is much of a worry or risk for a bunch of folks who gather here to enhance their enjoyment of the hobby. Most folks are here for the right reasons, sharing their journey while trying to learn and improve, and being involved in a community that shares their interest.

When I got started in this hobby, I spent a great deal of time reading journals here. My "go to" was the OG Burr740 75G journey. And it wasn't because of what he said, it's because of what he showed. While there were lots of folks spouting off about this and that, he was showing me the goods. Seeing is believing, and I learned quickly to tune the pretenders out. It was a wise decision.

And if someone from the "dark web' is spending their time here, well they must be bored out of their minds and not very good at it. In the scheme of things, this is a very small community with no commerce. Does not seem like a very attractive target, at least to me.
Blue Ridge Reef and Asteroid like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome