• 1 Post By tooney1992
  • 1 Post By tooney1992

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Hello

Hello all,

I'm new to forum and I thought I'd join so I can learn more about planted tanks as I've had a setup for a while now. I've just recently got more interested in the hobby again, and I think it's time I show some TLC to it.

I'll make a new post elsewhere soon, detailing my setup and see if anyone has any tips etc in case I'm doing anything wrong.

Cheers,

Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:33 AM
Algae Grower

Hi, looking forward to your setup
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney1992 View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to forum and I thought I'd join so I can learn more about planted tanks as I've had a setup for a while now. I've just recently got more interested in the hobby again, and I think it's time I show some TLC to it.

I'll make a new post elsewhere soon, detailing my setup and see if anyone has any tips etc in case I'm doing anything wrong.

Cheers,

Alex.

Here is my set-up;

Tank: 55l Denerrele scapers tank
Filter: Scapers flow Denerrele
Light: Denerrele LED 18W (6 hour light cycle, I will steadily increase depending on algea/ plant growth)
Substrate: Glass Garten Environmental Aqua Soil
Fertiliser: Denerrele Dosator v30
CO2: Denerrele Carbo-Elixir Bio
Heater: Dennerle Nano Thermo Compact Heater 50W

Plants: Hygrophilia Polysperma, Eleocharis acicularis 'mini', Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, salvina auriculata (will remove this once my tank has settled)
Tank mates: 2 Nerite snails, 5 Crystal Red Shrimp (I originally had 10 around 4 years ago and these are the survivors, they were previously a strong breeding colony a year ago as there were lots of babies, but when I moved house the tank crashed and I lost loads of them )

Here's my latest readings:
GH: 9
KH:7
Ph: 7.8
Tempreture: 21
Nitrate: 10ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
TDS: 210

I've had this set-up for around 4 years. The first year I was new to the hobby and completely messed up a lot of the parameters and had lots of algea growth. I had a peroid of around 2 years where I established a really good breeding colony of shrimps as I got the water the perfect. However when I moved house I had a massive water crash and a load of the shrimps died, as such I put less and less time into the hobby. Now I've decided to get back into it, and just invested in replanting the tank and will be spending more time maintaining it.

If anyone has any tips, or any advice after reading my specs please let me know as I think I have the right equipment for what I need. I know I need to bring down my pH, GH and KH, but I'm hoping to slowly bring this down over the next few weeks with RO water changes. It got this high because for around 8 months I was just using tap water which is extremely hard in my area.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75130966_447673665725574_1170854749709271040_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	888445  

Attached Images

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney1992 View Post
Here is my set-up;

Tank: 55l Denerrele scapers tank
Filter: Scapers flow Denerrele
Light: Denerrele LED 18W (6 hour light cycle, I will steadily increase depending on algea/ plant growth)
Substrate: Glass Garten Environmental Aqua Soil
Fertiliser: Denerrele Dosator v30
CO2: Denerrele Carbo-Elixir Bio
Heater: Dennerle Nano Thermo Compact Heater 50W

Plants: Hygrophilia Polysperma, Eleocharis acicularis 'mini', Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, salvina auriculata (will remove this once my tank has settled)
Tank mates: 2 Nerite snails, 5 Crystal Red Shrimp (I originally had 10 around 4 years ago and these are the survivors, they were previously a strong breeding colony a year ago as there were lots of babies, but when I moved house the tank crashed and I lost loads of them )

Here's my latest readings:
GH: 9
KH:7
Ph: 7.8
Tempreture: 21
Nitrate: 10ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
TDS: 210

I've had this set-up for around 4 years. The first year I was new to the hobby and completely messed up a lot of the parameters and had lots of algea growth. I had a peroid of around 2 years where I established a really good breeding colony of shrimps as I got the water the perfect. However when I moved house I had a massive water crash and a load of the shrimps died, as such I put less and less time into the hobby. Now I've decided to get back into it, and just invested in replanting the tank and will be spending more time maintaining it.

If anyone has any tips, or any advice after reading my specs please let me know as I think I have the right equipment for what I need. I know I need to bring down my pH, GH and KH, but I'm hoping to slowly bring this down over the next few weeks with RO water changes. It got this high because for around 8 months I was just using tap water which is extremely hard in my area.

cheers

Added some more plants (namely Alternanthera reineckii lila) and 2 more snails. I' ve also added more substrate to build up the background and give the tank more depth. Also as the susbstrate I had already used was fairly old.

Most recent readings are;

GH 7 (I managed to lower it to this optimum with RO water)
KH 4
Ph 7.5 - Still need to slowly bring this down for the crystal red shrimp
Nitrate 40ppm - I've done a water change, I believe this has increased due to the new plant matter i've added - some of the hair grass has come off the chunks I cut.
TDS - 232

The shrimps are loving it, the colours are way more brighter and they're more active around the tank.
Attached Images

evil8 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 02:06 PM

I'm new as well, looking forward to seeing your posts. Welcome!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Here's the tank after the replant seferal months ago.

I've lost one shrimp (After checking water parameters I think it's due to age, as the readings have been stable).

i've got my old co2 solenoid working, so I am dosing about 4 Bps

latest readings;

GH KH PH Temperature Nitrate Nitirite Ammonia TDS
9 7 7.8 19 10 0 0 x
7 4 7.5 22 40 0 0.25 232
7 4 7.4 21 10 0 0.25 205
8 3 7.4 21 5 0 0.25 194
8 4 7.2 21 5 0 0.25 190
8 4 6.8 21 5 0 0 208
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	83888625_189035942470488_863948644573773824_n.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	892839  

Name:	80055533_1028781940788791_8424101455115321344_n.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	892841  

evil8 likes this.

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode