Signals of Fall - The Planted Tank Forum
 132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Signals of Fall

Here in Northern California we dont have clearly distinct seasonal changes as others do in other parts of the country. But, I always know that fall is on the horizon by the "coloring up" of my succulents in the garden. I think it is because the night temperatures are starting to gradually go down, this signaling a burst of color and attempt to reproduce and divide in the plants. I took a few pictures this evening while watering to show you some of the more vivid colors...

If you have time this weekend, I would love to see ( and Im sure others would love to see) a quick photo of any seasonal changes you may see going on outside your window-- as small as they may be...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:15 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I live in a place where tourists flock to take pictures of leaves. So I'm in for this one! If it wasn't dark, I'd take a snap outside.
Discusluv and sittinglynx like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I live in a place where tourists flock to take pictures of leaves. So I'm in for this one! If it wasn't dark, I'd take a snap outside.
Oh!!! Cant wait to see it!

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
Autumn isn't in full swing on this side of the Appalachians just yet but I snapped this photo this morning:

Seems my stonecrops are beginning to color up, as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Autumn isn't in full swing on this side of the Appalachians just yet but I snapped this photo this morning:

Yes they are! What an amazing mix you have there!

post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
They were on clearance at a big box store a few years ago in 12 inch x 24 inch containers. Something like $2-$3.

That mix lines the sidewalk at my office and looks nicer than generic grass or pea gravel. Also maintenance-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Yes they are! What an amazing mix you have there!
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Still summer here. I have a massive "Firesticks" pencil bush that turns brilliant orange when nighttime temps drop low enough (40s) . Will have to post a pic in a couple of months when it's in full color
Discusluv and sittinglynx like this.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Still summer here. I have a massive "Firesticks" pencil bush that turns brilliant orange when nighttime temps drop low enough (40s) . Will have to post a pic in a couple of months when it's in full color
I have one of the "Firesticks"in the pictures, but it is not doing so hot. Its not dying, its just not flourishing either.

Looking forward to seeing yours.

The official first day of Fall is tomorrow-- maybe the weather will get the memo soon

post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still hot summer here in north Georgia . Sposed to be 90's till October the weather geeks are saying . Been dry too so the leaves are turning brown and dropping off . I don't think we will see much color this year . I don't remember it staying this hot so deep into September in the past .
Discusluv and aquanerd13 like this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have one of the "Firesticks"in the pictures, but it is not doing so hot. Its not dying, its just not flourishing either.

Looking forward to seeing yours.

The official first day of Fall is tomorrow-- maybe the weather will get the memo soon
They seem to love the extreme heat & dry of the low desert. Mine grows like crazy--every spring I have to lop off a half dozen or so 4-5' tall pieces to give away so it doesn't take over the yard. Left to their own devices, the green ones can grow as large as an olive tree.

You have a lovely assortment of succulents--especially love your Senecio mandraliscae. I had them when I lived in San Diego, but sadly most of the more attractive succulents can't take the desert heat unless they get lots of water and partial shade.
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Still hot summer here in north Georgia . Sposed to be 90's till October the weather geeks are saying . Been dry too so the leaves are turning brown and dropping off . I don't think we will see much color this year . I don't remember it staying this hot so deep into September in the past .
We are defiantly experiencing some unusual weather. Extreme weather events everywhere.
So far ( knock on wood) the fire season has been relatively quiet here in California-- hope it stays that way.

The weather will start out in the 90's this week , but by the end of the week we will see low 70's. So happy for that!

Maybe I can then put my fall wreath on the door
Leeatl likes this.

post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It is very hot and dry here, too. Leaves are just starting to fall, not glorious colors yet. But my liriope is blooming, which it always does early fall:

my yellow salvias are flowering

and there's lots of buds on the chrysanthemums (I remembered to pinch them this year!) so I'm hoping for some nice color soon
deeda and sittinglynx like this.

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
It is very hot and dry here, too. Leaves are just starting to fall, not glorious colors yet. But my liriope is blooming, which it always does early fall:

my yellow salvias are flowering

and there's lots of buds on the chrysanthemums (I remembered to pinch them this year!) so I'm hoping for some nice color soon
Ahhh-- beautiful. Love the contrast of the liriope--that purple flower with those variegated white/green leaves! Sp pretty.

Well there you go, a budded up chrysanthemum -- that plant is ready for fall even if all signs are still pointing to summer. Its like... just you wait--- Im gonna bloom my little head off!

post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:51 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Those are great! How do you keep grass from growing up in between everywhere? I tried a smaller patch and it just involved too much weeding. I'd love to try again if I could avoid that.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
The berries of the backyard narrow leave ash tree turn red again, mountain blue birds start schooling in..

this picture was from 2017

Canon Pimp Club #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode