• 1 Post By Eddlott
  • 2 Post By Greggz
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Everyone!

New to plantedtank.net. Looking forward to conversing with y'all.

Just about to do my weekly water changes and cleaning on 2 of 3 tanks and thought it was about time I joined. My wife had been handling the tanks for the past few years, but I've recently taken over. We have a 30G, 15G and 5G.

Joined here today because I need help with our plants. Identification and care instructions mostly. I've been searching the net for a few weeks trying to get the info myself and finally broke down and decided to ask for help! lol.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom. I'll be sure to pay it forward.

Eddlott
Tampa, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30G 20190714.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	884101  

Name:	15G 20190714.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	884103  

Name:	5G 20190714.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	884105  

sittinglynx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to the forum @ Eddlott!
Im not too good at identifying aquarium plants- although I do see some easily identifiable Java fern in your tank
But, Im sure others more familiar will be able to tell you what you have.
sittinglynx and Eddlott like this.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Discusluv! Appreciate the feedback....

The Java Fern is funny... purchased it and was told it was Amazon Sword... spoke to a few folks and they were also surprised that my off-shoots weren't growing.. then i discovered they are java fern and don't like being buried in substrate..

Next week is going to be a weekend of tank re-sculpting.
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In the first picture, it looks like the taller reddish plants may be Ludwigia repens. But, Im not entirely sure. @Greggz, @Grobbins48 ( or anyone else) can you help this new member identify what plants they have in their aquariums so they can better care for them?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Taller plants in first pic look like some type of narrow leaf Ludwigia. Based on the different leaf structure at the bottom than the top, likely purchased as emmersed and transitioning to submersed. The Java Fern looks like it has a good deal of BBA on it.

Second tank center back looks like Rotala Rotundifolia commonly sold the LFS. Right side looks like Java Moss that is dying. The picture is not clear enough to guess at the others.

Third single large stem looks like Ludwigia Repens, and again some Java Moss with some hair algae on it.

My advice would be to study up on planted tanks. You really need to decide what it is you want to accomplish. The same conditions that will make the Ludwigia's and Rotala grow may not be the best conditions for Java Fern and Moss.

Once you decide the direction you want to go, it will dictate every other decision. You might want a low light low tech tank with slow growers like ferns/moss/crypts/swords/etc. Or maybe it's a tank full of colorful stems.

Each one has different needs, like level of light, ferts, and CO2. They should all be tailored to what it is you want to grow, and each takes a good deal of thought and effort to get it right.

Right now you have a lot of unhappy plants, which are a magnet for the various algae's that I see. Healthy growing plants are the best defense against all algae.

If I were you, I would spend some time in the journal section here, and find some tanks that have similar goals to yours. Many here share many details of their tanks, and it will give you a good idea of the type of things you should be thinking about.

Good luck and look forward to seeing where things go from here.
Discusluv and Eddlott like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Taller plants in first pic look like some type of narrow leaf Ludwigia. Based on the different leaf structure at the bottom than the top, likely purchased as emmersed and transitioning to submersed. The Java Fern looks like it has a good deal of BBA on it.

Second tank center back looks like Rotala Rotundifolia commonly sold the LFS. Right side looks like Java Moss that is dying. The picture is not clear enough to guess at the others.

Third single large stem looks like Ludwigia Repens, and again some Java Moss with some hair algae on it.

My advice would be to study up on planted tanks. You really need to decide what it is you want to accomplish. The same conditions that will make the Ludwigia's and Rotala grow may not be the best conditions for Java Fern and Moss.

Once you decide the direction you want to go, it will dictate every other decision. You might want a low light low tech tank with slow growers like ferns/moss/crypts/swords/etc. Or maybe it's a tank full of colorful stems.

Each one has different needs, like level of light, ferts, and CO2. They should all be tailored to what it is you want to grow, and each takes a good deal of thought and effort to get it right.

Right now you have a lot of unhappy plants, which are a magnet for the various algae's that I see. Healthy growing plants are the best defense against all algae.

If I were you, I would spend some time in the journal section here, and find some tanks that have similar goals to yours. Many here share many details of their tanks, and it will give you a good idea of the type of things you should be thinking about.

Good luck and look forward to seeing where things go from here.

Thank you for your help @Greggz
Greggz and Eddlott like this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Discusluv & @Greggz : THANK YOU!!!! I really... REALLY appreciate the input. I inherited these tanks a bit ago, have had some ups and downs.. now really don't want to lose anything else.. that's why I'm here.

Will continue to research and hope to get everyone growing and vibrant.

Thanks again. E

Bump:

this one is my most worrisome.. it was huge and beautiful.. now.. lot's of roots and no new growth.. can she be saved? how best?
Thanks!
E

Bump: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VrQ2htVk8wM0h3

Still working out tech issues too i guess...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/a...ctureid=108829

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-17-2019 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Banned

WELCOME TO THE PLANTED TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you a happy hobby and lots of baby fish.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult oneĒ Ė Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode