The Planted Tank Forum banner

Usps shipping issues

2K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Asteroid 
#1 ·
So of the last three packages I've ordered, only one made it to my house at the time it said delivered. One showed up 4 days after delivery day and the latest one is entirely missing two days after it was supposed to be delivered.

For those that face issues like this, what's the proper procedure?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Well the holidays changes everything. The 4th was a Thursday so if someone mailed on Wed, no mail on Thursday so if it didn't reach it's destination by Saturday then it wouldn't get there till Monday which would be 5 full days. The worst day to mail in general is a Thursday, because again if not delivered by Saturday it will be 4 full days.

Two weeks someone messed up big.

#9 ·
yup. shipped out on monday, was predicted to make it on wednesday, day before the 4th. next thing you know the status changed from 'on time' to .. moving in the system. And stayed that way for many days. Thought the whole package was a lost cause and suddenly saw a status update on the next tuesday, the 9th! and lo and behold, finally made it on thursday I think. green stinky mush. :frown:

#10 ·
Yeah, I could see that happening. Whether it's priority or 1st class it's always 1-3 days depending on origin / destination, so the 2-days is never a definite, although it's usually pretty good. Priority mail has $50 insurance automatically but I don't think it covers perishables.

#12 ·
This depends if it was mentioned in the agreement when you first ship it out. I have shipped numerous amounts, so I know when it's good to ship, and when not to; holidays are just chaos, you need to give it a two week buffer if you want to ship during holiday seasons. Priority mail doesn't mean guaranteed mail unfortunately.

#11 ·
We have a situation going that is partly just due to the age we live in but also partly due to the politics involved some time back. The USPS was a very expensive but well regulated government thing but there was a lot of demand for other shipping choices so UPS and all the various carriers came around but they were not required to carry ALL the mail so they were able to pick off the more profitable items and mail from large companies where bulk makes more profit.
So what do we get years later?
We have a group of very profitable unregulated companies who can set rates and choose how to do the jobs they want and a USPS system which is still very expensive but even less able to cope with costs as they have lost much of the profitable stuff. Due to continued complaints about expense and no real way to adjust what they do or what they charge in any reasonable fashion, we see service going down.
A mailman used to be a respected member of the community but now I do not see that as the folks running my route no longer wear uniforms, wear most anything they want, stop in the park for a smoke break and just are not the top of the line folks we used to have working for us as government employees. My mail is no longer dependable and is very prone to being put in other boxes were the person who gets it may set on the mail for a day or so before dropping it on my porch---if they are motivated to go to the trouble!
When mail is shown as delivered but doesn't come to my box, I check the neighbors and watch for it. The "official" USPS reaction is to wait 8 days, then I can fill out a report that mail is missing and after that long to fill out a report and look for it, I have never had any recovered!
Dallas seems to be a dark hole where Christmas presents go to fall out of the box and they recover the box but not the presents.

#26 ·
My mail is no longer dependable and is very prone to being put in other boxes were the person who gets it may set on the mail for a day or so before dropping it on my porch---if they are motivated to go to the trouble!
I live in a house built in the 70s. It has always had the same address. Then the county did an audit for Enhanced 911, and said that our house is misaddressed. We have a corner lot, and they decided that since the front door and driveway are on the OTHER street, we should have an address on that street. I actually agree that it was misaddressed long ago....but then the fun starts.

I have 21 days to change the numbering on my house and mailbox. I did that. The county notified the USPS, and all utilities and county government agencies that collect taxes of the correct address. It was up to me to notify all others (banks and other businesses I get mail from) of the new address. But that the post office would accept mail addressed to either address for 1 year.

I went to the post office to confirm they had the address 'change' in their records. Yup they did. Its not a change of address, I'm told. Its a 'designation change' since its the same physical house. Ok, great.

Then I ordered my new drivers license. Its done by mail here for a reissue (not for a renewal).

The DMV sent the new license by mail to the new address. They got it back as 'return to sender, no such address.'

I went down to local post office. They say they didn't sent it back.

Ask DMV to send again. They did. Returned AGAIN for same reason.

Again the post office said they didn't return it.

Back and forth with calls to local post office manager, then the postmaster (at a different location). Finally they say it was JUST put into their system correctly, and mail should come through now to the new address.

In the meantime, my bank sends out statements that are returned due to no such address. They marked my account as 'potential fraud' and my bank account is frozen until I can prove identity with a picture ID and a piece of mail sent to my new address!

I can't use my money, since my account is frozen, and can't get that straightened out until I have ID and a piece of mail sent to my new address.

But no ID yet, nor any other mail has come through!

8 days later, I get a pile of mail to choke a horse, and my drivers license is in the pile.

And this is 'progress'??!!!!

#19 ·
I've had three USPS 2nd day priority shipments in July so far (2 of shrimp, one of plants). They have taken 3, 4, & 4 weekdays to reach me and both shrimp shipments had losses. Fed Ex 2nd day priority costs 3 times as much to ship a box containing much water, but if it's fauna going forward I'll pay it. It's in your hand by 10 AM.

#20 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll keep waiting for the package and hopefully it turns up eventually. I'm pretty sure the mailman is putting the boxes in the wrong address because its listed as delivered but nowhere in sight.

I'll just chalk it up to another loss and hopefully this won't be a consistent problem

#21 ·
Yea. Despite my earlier complaint, usually my shipments out or in make it in reasonable time. The price difference of usps priority (much cheaper!) and the percentage of success for me still makes it somewhat worth it. Who else will ship a box the size of a usps flat rate small for 8 bucks in 2 days when things go right? Even more so as those flat rate packages get larger. Someone shipped me bonsai sand. SAND! Heavy dense sand in a large usps flat rate! Made it in 3 days. Possibly 2 if I was closer to him.

Unless it's for something I REALLY care about like @Blue Ridge Reef said.

#23 ·
Yea. Despite my earlier complaint, usually my shipments out or in make it in reasonable time. The price difference of usps priority (much cheaper!) and the percentage of success for me still makes it somewhat worth it. Who else will ship a box the size of a usps flat rate small for 8 bucks in 2 days when things go right? Even more so as those flat rate packages get larger. Someone shipped me bonsai sand. SAND! Heavy dense sand in a large usps flat rate! .
I agree still the least expensive way to ship even without the flat rates. Another way to save even more is to use Regional rate boxes A and B. A is almost the size of medium flat rate and can go up to 15 lbs and B around the size of a large flat rate and many times alot cheaper can go up to 20 lbs.

...I have a PO box, so I use my PO box number as a 'suite number' which bypasses all the nonsense that tends to come with companies that claim that they don't deliver to post office boxes.
PO Box is good to use if you have it, especially in the summer when most damage occurs after drop off when the package sits out in hot weather.

#22 ·
Go to the post office wherever you get your mail from and talk to the post master. I don't know about the late delivery issue, but if packages are going missing entirely, they should be able to fix that.

A alternative is to have packages delivered to post office itself. This is what I do and don't have a problem unless I'm ordering from Amazon. Amazon uses USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and now their own delivery people. It is their own delivery people that like to dump packages off in front of the post office on Sundays when there is nobody around that works for the post office to get them.

After going through this a few times and having spoken to Amazon directly, they insist on leaving packages on Sundays where stuff can be stolen, so now I only order on weekends or early in the week. That way my stuff doesn't get stolen and if nothing else, at least makes it to inside the building. They're supposed to bring all packages to the counter where window clerks take them, but because Amazon doesn't give a flying fig, they ( Amazon's delivery people) tend to dump them wherever they deem fit.

I have a PO box, so I use my PO box number as a 'suite number' which bypasses all the nonsense that tends to come with companies that claim that they don't deliver to post office boxes.

#24 ·
Go to the post office wherever you get your mail from and talk to the post master. I don't know about the late delivery issue, but if packages are going missing entirely, they should be able to fix that.

A alternative is to have packages delivered to post office itself. This is what I do and don't have a problem unless I'm ordering from Amazon. Amazon uses USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and now their own delivery people. It is their own delivery people that like to dump packages off in front of the post office on Sundays when there is nobody around that works for the post office to get them.

After going through this a few times and having spoken to Amazon directly, they insist on leaving packages on Sundays where stuff can be stolen, so now I only order on weekends or early in the week. That way my stuff doesn't get stolen and if nothing else, at least makes it to inside the building. They're supposed to bring all packages to the counter where window clerks take them, but because Amazon doesn't give a flying fig, they ( Amazon's delivery people) tend to dump them wherever they deem fit.

I have a PO box, so I use my PO box number as a 'suite number' which bypasses all the nonsense that tends to come with companies that claim that they don't deliver to post office boxes.
I can't believe I forgot that I could have packages delivered to the post office and pick it up from there. This should definitely solve the problem of my package dissappearing since I won't have to worry about a tired mailman messing up.

Thanks for this!

#25 ·
Y'all also need to sign up for informed delivery. You'll get a daily digest email of all/most of the stuff coming to you - usually with photos of the front.

When receiving Priority packages, the emails typically contain the name of the source and the tracking number.

May seem silly but I've found these emails come in quite handy on several occasions.

Finally - if you're shipping or receiving Priority packages? They all include at least $50 worth of insurance. I've been reimbursed for lost and damaged packages - even perishables like plants. All it takes is a little effort to try.

#27 ·
No this is not progress. It is government cost cutting!
I like the process for informed delivery but that has a downside to it if it is the post office who marked it coming and then delivered but it is not in my box! That means they person "thinks" they put it in my box but leaves me wondering who really got it! Some of the stuff that gets lost is so small that it really means very little except for the delay and extra work to reorder. The last item lost was one of the cheap plastic cup holders like fit down in a hole on a boat and cost a couple bucks. It showed delivered but not to my box. I do have a locked box, for those who wonder. So I get the seller to send a second which has to make him wonder since the first said delivered. About two weeks later the first shows up, looking like a truck had hit it but looking at the scruff marks, it really looks like it got jammed next to some type of belt like maybe it fell off a delivery belt at some point and spent a few days before being spotted. Seems easy enough --except what did the person mark as delivered?

#28 ·
I have never had such problems with the Post Office in California and Ive lived throughout the state. Cant remember ever not receiving something I was expecting. Maybe it depends on where you live?

When it comes to plants I always purchase whatever shipping that ensures replacement by vendor if plants do not come in healthy. I also buy heat/cold packs if necessary.

With fish, I dont buy from vendors that will not ship overnight by 10:30 AM. All the reputable vendors have this option. If they dont offer this, I dont buy from them.

#30 ·
Normally I never have an issue with the USPS here, but on a couple of recent occasions I've had packages (my 2 spring plant orders) that were supposed to be delivered not arrive and status not updated. After getting a bit of BS at the local office I found out the issue is one of the neighbors often leaves their young German Shepard run around free. The postal carriers are instructed not to stop when they see a loose dog. The home owner was called by the local office and informed about it and so far it hasn't happened again, but the dog still doesn't always get tied up so it only a matter of time for it to happen again. Were the USPS just able to update the status to let me know it's at the local office I wouldn't have a problem, but "out for delivery" for 4 days doesn't help anyone.

#31 ·
If anyone wants to complain about politics, here's a pro-tip: You can do it somewhere else. You've got the internet internet at your disposal.

None of the moderators care if you have the same politics as us. This is just a politics-free forum where all of our members come to escape everyday life.

We can surely help the OP figure out what's going on and give anecdotal advice that may help them without devolving into a never-ending conversation about policy.

This is a planted tank forum, not Betty & Joe's Complain About the Government Emporium.

#34 ·
+1 for using PO boxes whenever possible. Another good option is to have critical shipments sent to a work address. No idea if it's universal, but the local PO delivers only during the week to businesses that are closed on weekends and have requested such service. Shipments stay air-conditioned and safe from theft, though I'd never time a live shipment to arrive after Wednesday, just in case.

#35 ·
It is nice having a PO box, but... people also need to keep in mind that cargo areas of planes are not typically air conditioned, nor are many delivery vehicles. So as a example: If a box of plants needs to make the trip across the country and it is really hot and gross like it is right now, there is a good chance that plants are going to struggle. Cold packs are nice, but they're not much of a defense against a cargo area that may be 100 degrees or more.

I personally don't order plants this time of year or when it is sub-zero. It's not worth it...

#36 ·
I've been a Letter Carrier for the last 16 years & I train newly hired Letter Carriers, so I can pretty much answer any questions you have. This time of year , I would absolutely ship anything live overnight. Try to remember, most mail trucks still do not have any air conditioning and the ones that do are one in the front. My mail truck can easily be 5 degrees hotter than outside temps and it takes at least 5 to 6 hours to complete a route, and sometime I have a route and an hour off another route. Even with Priority Mail Express, the guarantee (by noon the next day) is only if you get it to the post office by noon the previous day (this is for most of the country; some remote area are 10am, and some urban areas are 3pm) otherwise the guarantee goes to noon the following day if not received before the senders local cut off time.

It's true that priority mail comes with an automatic $50 insurance. If you get an email saying Delivery to mailbox/front door/ parcel locker/ etc.. and it does not show up, go online and file a "Where's my Parcel" complaint ASAP. The sooner you do, the sooner the PO can figure out what happened (and the more likely they can retrieve it). With that said, that will not help with live plants/fish because it will take at least a day to investigate. The Letter Carrier's scanner (these days) has "real time" GPS coordinates that can pin point the delivery scan within 5 feet. That combined with Google earth, makes most investigations quick, but the data processing to get that complaint to the investigator takes a day to process from the call center or online to the local PO so the average time to deliver a retrieved mis-delivered parcel is 3 days.

In my station, I would estimate 3 lost parcel issues a day out of about 1000 parcels delivery daily. Most of the time, this is cause by a newer carrier on a route they do not do daily, but sometimes a veteran carrier can make mistakes, especially working in extreme heat or with excessive volume, such as the Xmas season. Sometimes there are distribution issues where a parcel is loaded onto the wrong equipment and goes to the wrong distribution center, but this is pretty rare. As far as Express goes, sometime everything is done right, but something happens to the airplane schedule with delay or cancellations. In my experience, this happens most with coast to coast distribution which can lead to delivery a day late. The sender is entitled to their shipping cost back when this happens, but I think even if that happened, a fish or plant would still have a chance for survival. Because Express Mail is guaranteed, the post office puts a very high priority to be as close to 100% as possible. I know it's costly, but I in my experience, USPS is cheaper at overnight, but you must meet the deadlines, so it's less flexible than FedEx.

I hope that answers some of your questions and I didn't sound like a commercial, LOL!

#38 ·
I ship things year around via USPS and agree that packages get to where they have to be pretty much all the time as stated. There's always going to be some human error involved in anything or a special situation, but overall for the money it can't be beat. Even when I ship to very warm areas I never have a problem unless the package is left out after delivery.

Unfortunately for plants, overnite is really not an option as the freight would be more expensive then the items. For fish yes, for plants once in a while if the order is big enough.

One big change USPS, made this year in addition to the rate increases is the way they calculate postage for 1st class. For example it used to be the same price to mail something from NY to NJ as it was to mail it to NY to CA, now it's done by zone. This has more than doubled the cost for some locations. As long as the package is under 16 oz it can go first class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.