4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lkblair
  • 1 Post By aquanerd13
  • 2 Post By Cinnamonamon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used to keep cichlids (lovely, peaceful Tanganyikans) but haven't had a tank for about 10 years. Renewing my interest and wanting to try a low-tech planted tank. So just starting my research. Happy to be here!

Lisa
sittinglynx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

Hello!! Welcome to The Planted Tank!!! If you have a low tech planted tank, I personally think a school of cardinal tetras and a pair or 2 of honey gouramis and maybe some cory catfish all in a 55-75 gallon. It all depends on what you personal preference is and your imagination!! Do you have any idea what kind of fish you are interested in(eg. amazon biotope, south American community, African community, plant safe cichlids, etc.)?
Lkblair likes this.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkblair View Post
I used to keep cichlids (lovely, peaceful Tanganyikans) but haven't had a tank for about 10 years. Renewing my interest and wanting to try a low-tech planted tank. So just starting my research. Happy to be here!

Lisa
Welcome! Before you fall too far down the rabbit hole of internet searching, I would recommend a trip to your local fish stores. That will likely give you an idea of what sort of plants and fish do best in the water you have in your area. Working within the parameters you have is much less stressful than becoming invested in plants/fish that aren't available or easy to care for in your area! That said...I just had a super cool plant mailed from all the way across the country, so...maybe I should take my own advice? LOL

Anyway, happy you're here!
sittinglynx and Lkblair like this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
Welcome! Before you fall too far down the rabbit hole of internet searching, I would recommend a trip to your local fish stores. That will likely give you an idea of what sort of plants and fish do best in the water you have in your area. Working within the parameters you have is much less stressful than becoming invested in plants/fish that aren't available or easy to care for in your area! That said...I just had a super cool plant mailed from all the way across the country, so...maybe I should take my own advice? LOL

Anyway, happy you're here!
Thank you for the welcome! I've been doing a bit of research on plants for our water - hard, alkaline - my area is a hot-bed of Texas Limestone (think that lovely holey rock in so many cichlid tanks - dig a little in any backyard in the area, and you'll hit a wall of the stuff). Fortunately, it sounds like most of the plants that are decent for beginners & low tech should do fine.

Now fish... that's the tough one! I absolutely adored my cichlids, but they just won't work in a smaller tank (no room for a big one right now) or with the plants. But I am hopeful I can still put together a pretty tank with some personality.

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Hello!! Welcome to The Planted Tank!!! If you have a low tech planted tank, I personally think a school of cardinal tetras and a pair or 2 of honey gouramis and maybe some cory catfish all in a 55-75 gallon. It all depends on what you personal preference is and your imagination!! Do you have any idea what kind of fish you are interested in(eg. amazon biotope, south American community, African community, plant safe cichlids, etc.)?
Thank you for the welcome!
I'd love to go that big, but we just don't have the space right now. I'm looking at a 20 long. I have hard, alkaline water (gotta love central TX!). Fortunately, an amazing number of fish can do well in our water, but it does eliminate some. It does seem that our water falls within the parameters for gouramis, so dwarf guaramis are an option. I'd love to hear any ideas!

Lisa

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-13-2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 AM
Planted Member

The African cichlid Dwarf Shell Dweller is small and likes hard alkaline water. They are fascinating fish. I have no experience keeping them, but I have heard they are good.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The African cichlid Dwarf Shell Dweller is small and likes hard alkaline water. They are fascinating fish. I have no experience keeping them, but I have heard they are good.
I had some multis as part of my Tangyanikan community tank way back when. They are *wonderful* little fish and full of personality. But they wouldn't even leave an anubias alone if they wanted that space for a shell. LOL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:07 AM
Planted Member

Congo tetras? Those are African and should like your water. You should do a peaceful African biotope, with anubias and maybe Congo Tetras. dwarf frogs are african, as are upside down catfish. They would be good. Platys are also native to your area and can thrive in a toilet, so they might be a good option.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

Welcome Lisa. Just an FYI, under "General Planted Tank Forums" there is a section for local aquarium shops that is broken down by states. You might get some feedback on where other members go in your area. Good luck

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Congo tetras? Those are African and should like your water. You should do a peaceful African biotope, with anubias and maybe Congo Tetras. dwarf frogs are african, as are upside down catfish. They would be good. Platys are also native to your area and can thrive in a toilet, so they might be a good option.
ROFLMAO - thrive in a toilet! Guess I need to research platys. They are a bit of a goofy-looking fish, so I am interested! Do you know if they have much personality?

must also go research congo tetras...

Thank you for the ideas!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinglynx View Post
Welcome Lisa. Just an FYI, under "General Planted Tank Forums" there is a section for local aquarium shops that is broken down by states. You might get some feedback on where other members go in your area. Good luck
Thank you! I happened across an aquarium club in the area (not listed on the forum you mentioned, though), so I will start there. I'm also familiar with a few local shops from my cichlid-keeping days. I will keep an eye on that forum, though, in case anything else shows up or be sure to ask if I end up on the hunt for anything specific. Thank you for the guidance!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
If your water is really hard you might be limited. Like others said you want to go with what does well in your water. So African rift lake cichlids thrive in your water. Plants that do well in hard water, Java fern, Anubias, and if you have the right lighting vallisneria. But some cichlids destroy plants so pick you poison.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode