Hello from Brazil! - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello from Brazil!

Hi everyone! First, sorry for my english! I'm not new to this hobby, but I hadn't set up an aquarium for many years. My last aquarium was a rather successful low-tech planted one, using a soil-based (+clay and peat) substrate, following the instructions from Paulo de Oliveira's "Plantas de Aquário", an old (and great!) book edited in Portugal. I even studied freshwater fish ecology in my college years (I'm a Biology graduate), but, for some reasons, I quit Biology and aquariums. Recently, after reading the great Diane Walstad's book and some internet sources (including this forum ), I decided to go back to that fascinating hobby. The videos from "Foo the Flowerhorn", a youtube channel, have been inspirational for me, too! So, on 26th May 2019 I started my low-tech planted aquarium (no CO2 and no filters) with lots of plants: Limnophila sessiliflora, Bacopa australis, Echinodorus amazonicus, Echinodorus tenellus, Sagitaria subulata, Eleocharis sp. Japan, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Hygrophila difformis, Cryptocoryne x willisii "Lucens", Microsorium pteropus, Ludwigia palustris, Ludwigia brevides, Rotala green, Rotala sp. "Goiás" and more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The evolution of my low-tech planted aquarium, from 27th April 2019 (day one) to 18th June 2019.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	(1) 27_abril_2019.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	883101  

Name:	(2) 08_maio_2019.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	883103  

Name:	(3) 15_junho_2019.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	883105  

Name:	(4) 18_junho_2019.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	883107  

Last edited by Navega; 06-21-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: wrong date
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about the Walstad method; but, looks like you have been very successful with it so far.
Navega likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From last week, I have had algae issues, namely green water. I have two hypothesis for that: (1) overfeeding and (2) too much light. The daylength was of 13 hours (from 7am to 8pm), with a midday 3 hour Siesta. I reduced today to 12 hours (from 7am to 7pm) with a midday 4 hour siesta . I also did a 40% water change some days ago and 20% today.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about the Walstad method; but, looks like you have been very successful with it so far.
Thanks a lot!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome ,
I guess you can just got to local bodies of water and net some livestock....

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Think even walstad has gotten away from recommending no circulation pump/filter for low tech dirted tanks. Something like a aquaclear 20hob would be plenty plus gives you spot to drop in a small bag carbon or purigen for few days to do spot clean clean up when DOC get to high, green water bloom can be a symptom of high DOC.

Nice growth rate and bet those are some happy cardinal tetra.

You could also install some floaters to help with green water, with free access to all CO2 and light they want they can really suck down some nutrients from water.
Blue Ridge Reef and Navega like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Algae Grower

Great looking tanks...

Gok
Navega likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Think even walstad has gotten away from recommending no circulation pump/filter for low tech dirted tanks. Something like a aquaclear 20hob would be plenty plus gives you spot to drop in a small bag carbon or purigen for few days to do spot clean clean up when DOC get to high, green water bloom can be a symptom of high DOC.

You could also install some floaters to help with green water, with free access to all CO2 and light they want they can really suck down some nutrients from water.
Thanks, DaveKS, for your advice, very appreciated!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

@Navega do you get fishes from the wild directly or from lfs?

Gok
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.in View Post
@Navega do you get fishes from the wild directly or from lfs?

Gok
Hi Aaron! I've got my fishes from pet stores. I live too far from rivers and lakes, except for some polluted ones.
aaron.in likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 PM
Algae Grower

[quote=Navega;11221567]Hi Aaron! I've got my fishes from pet stores. I live too far from rivers and lakes, except for some polluted ones.[/quote @Navega that's cool

Gok
Navega likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

Your tank looks great! Is that a 30 gallon long?
Navega likes this.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinglynx View Post
Your tank looks great! Is that a 30 gallon long?
Thanks! It is a 42 gallon tank.
sittinglynx likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post

I added an internal filter (400 Litre/hour) with a bag of "purigen". The results have been amazing! After only 4 days the water became crystal-clear! I also put a couple of Limnobium, floating plants.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	(5) 30_julho_2019.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	883513  

sittinglynx and DaveKS like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sweet, just remember you might not need to run purigen full time.

Flow of filter is making sure capped soil layer breaths and gives you good high low water circulation. You want soil layer leaching some organics into water and releasing carbon, it’s what makes whole thing work, to much and you’ll get the green water bomb.

Strip to many organics with purigen and growth will stall. it’s a balancing act and just by observation you can find upkeep/routine that gives you that perfect soiled/earthy water that plants and backwater fish love and thrive in and recognize when it’s time to hit with purigen for 3-4 days.

Could be now that you got it cleaned up perfect routine could be just go to half amount purigen you used 1st time and get on reg schedule of replacing it and cleaning filter pads once a month.
sittinglynx and Navega like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode