Back at it with Plants after 10 year break - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By drewyoung

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Back at it with Plants after 10 year break

Hello,

I logged in today and created am account. I have been active aquarist whole time but decided to get back in to planted tanks.I have been quietly doing this with mixed success and decided to get involved here.

My current planted tank is a 150 gallon reef savvy tank filled to the 100 gallon mark. Lighting is 6x54 T5HO bulbs. Filtration is a Tunze Comline Riverpack and heating is a Colbalt 150 watt heater. I use a plant life Carbon doser device to a fritted glass diffuser. I use a PMDD variation

Current conditions are

77F
0.2 ppm PO4
5 kH
10 gH
NO3 10-20 ppm
CO2 15 ppm

I just keep getting blue green algae sheets on the substrate. Not sure how to stop that yet but most plants grow and few melt. I am thinking daily doser pump for PMDD and more filtration.

I'd like to add a few photos but too much hassle with 1998 interface.
sittinglynx likes this.

Last edited by drewyoung; 06-09-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:55 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome. I got back in after 8 years off in Feb. There's a section to create a Tank Journal you might wan't to check out. That's one of my favorite parts about TPT. Welcome aboard
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyoung View Post
Hello,

I logged in today and created am account. I have been active aquarist whole time but decided to get back in to planted tanks.I have been quietly doing this with mixed success and decided to get involved here.

My current planted tank is a 150 gallon reef savvy tank filled to the 100 gallon mark. Lighting is 6x54 T5HO bulbs. Filtration is a Tunze Comline Riverpack and heating is a Colbalt 150 watt heater. I use a plant life Carbon doser device to a fritted glass diffuser. I use a PMDD variation

Current conditions are

77F
0.2 ppm PO4
5 kH
10 gH
NO3 10-20 ppm
CO2 15 ppm

I just keep getting blue green algae sheets on the substrate. Not sure how to stop that yet but most plants grow and few melt. I am thinking daily doser pump for PMDD and more filtration.

I'd like to add a few photos but too much hassle with 1998 interface.
Since you've received only one response, I'll take a crack at it, although I haven't had to deal with it in decades.

I assume that you know that it is not algae, but cyanobacteria. This means that it can be treated with the antibiotic: Chemi-Clean. If you do this, pull as much out as possible first to prevent it from rotting and consuming most of the O2. Your BB may also be negatively affected by this treatment, so keep an eye on that.

It draws it nutrients (mainly P) from the substrate and needs minuscule amounts of N. Eventually, it consumes all of the P and disappears. My understanding is that a water column ratio of N:P is important in this case and that ratio should be less than about 20:1 ...and yours is very low at 50:1 and worse. Try raising PO4 to about 2 ppm.

It hates flow. So, increasing your flow will help a lot. If you can't get good flow with what you have, Hydor-Koralia pumps are great because they provide a widely dispersed flow, unlike typical pumps. Point them toward the surface to get good rippling without breaking the waters' surface. This will maximize O2, replacing what the cyano is robbing from the tank and increasing the O2 also hurts the bacteria. Organics are big problem: keep the filter and tank clean and watch the over-feeding. Put Purigen into your filter for a while (or forever) to help remove the organics.

It draws it's energy from light. Covering your tank to black it out for several days may help.

Anacharis is believed to exude an antibiotic that kills it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode