• 2 Post By discuspaul
  • 1 Post By Second Hand Pat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,

The plantedtank.net forum was recommended by a member of the SimplyDiscus forum. I am in the planning process of setting up my first planted tank. I do have several tanks now which are either bare bottom for growouts or biotope tanks for wild discus. However I have a 50 gallon tank which I think make a nice starting point for a planted tank. So hi and expect many questions

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
Welcome to the forum!

Hope you get a tank journal going so we can follow along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm sure Pat won't mind me identifying myself as the simplydiscus,com member who recommended Pat join TPT, in the expectation she'd get a lot of helpful information on setting up her 50 gal S.A. biotope project.

Pat has been a simplydiscus member for 10 years, currently an administrator who has helped out literally thousands of discus-keeping wannabes and experienced discus hobbyists as well.

She's highly deserving of your assistance in getting her project off on the right footing, and I'm certain those of you planted tank gurus &/or biotope afficionados that I may have hopefully guided well in launching yourselves into discus-keeping, will return the favor by giving Pat a helping hand here.

I know that photos of your set-ups, any advices on lighting, plants, &/or suitable S.A. fish species that would do well at around 82 F would be gratefully appreciated by Pat.

Thanks for reading.
mgeorges and Second Hand Pat like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hello Pat!

I am still learning myself about plants in the aquarium, but there are many on here that can help with any specific questions you may have.

Are you sticking with low-tech?
What substrate interested in using?
Any specific goals in mind for this planted tank?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Hope you get a tank journal going so we can follow along.

Hi somewhatshocked, I hope you have a shorter handle. I did start a thread in the tank journal subforum. Let me see if I can link it https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...nted-tank.html. Here you go.
Pat

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
I'm sure Pat won't mind me identifying myself as the simplydiscus,com member who recommended Pat join TPT, in the expectation she'd get a lot of helpful information on setting up her 50 gal S.A. biotope project.

Pat has been a simplydiscus member for 10 years, currently an administrator who has helped out literally thousands of discus-keeping wannabes and experienced discus hobbyists as well.

She's highly deserving of your assistance in getting her project off on the right footing, and I'm certain those of you planted tank gurus &/or biotope afficionados that I may have hopefully guided well in launching yourselves into discus-keeping, will return the favor by giving Pat a helping hand here.

I know that photos of your set-ups, any advices on lighting, plants, &/or suitable S.A. fish species that would do well at around 82 F would be gratefully appreciated by Pat.

Thanks for reading.
Thank you Paul, I can not have provided a better introduction You rock man
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Hello Pat!

I am still learning myself about plants in the aquarium, but there are many on here that can help with any specific questions you may have.

Are you sticking with low-tech?
What substrate interested in using?
Any specific goals in mind for this planted tank?

Hi Discusluv, are you on SimplyDiscus. Your username seems familar! Regarding your questions;

Are you sticking with low-tech? Yes, low-tech = KISS (Keep it simple stupid) I hope.
What substrate interested in using? I am considering a sand bottom.
Any specific goals in mind for this planted tank.? Goals are to simulate a SA biotope in looks even if the plants are not from SA.

Pat

Bump: Sorry for the merged quotes in one post. I need to get use to how this version of vBulletin works.
Pat

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-08-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am on SimplyDiscus. .
I check in there almost everyday, but post rarely. I should post more.

I have some plants I could recommend that have done well for me in my discus tanks- temperatures above 82 degrees:

Crypts of many species: spiralis, green gecko, red and green wendti + more.
Ludwigia repens
anubias- too many to list
java ferns -"
juncus repens
hygrophilia corymbosa and siamensis
Red Tiger Lotus
Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'

Did not do well:
Valisneria of any types.
Anacharis
Swords? ( I dont understand why- they should do well).

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I am on SimplyDiscus. .
I check in there almost everyday, but post rarely. I should post more.

I have some plants I could recommend that have done well for me in my discus tanks- temperatures above 82 degrees:

Crypts of many species: spiralis, green gecko, red and green wendti + more.
Ludwigia repens
anubias- too many to list
java ferns -"
juncus repens
hygrophilia corymbosa and siamensis
Red Tiger Lotus
Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'

Did not do well:
Valisneria of any types.
Anacharis
Swords? ( I dont understand why- they should do well).

Thank you Discusluv, I will definitely keep this in mind when I start to research specific plants.

Pat
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode