2Likes
  • 1 Post By Raith
  • 1 Post By Newbie Tankard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Introduction & Question!

Hello!

My name is Tania. I love animals in general and we currently have a pet rat and a cat. Working on saving up for a place of our own (the fiance and I). I currently work full time and love to meet others who share the same interest and passion for animals of all kinds.

I just joined and in general love to learn about fish and indulge in research about them. So I thought this would be a good place to start. With that being said, I did have a question that I cant really seem to find a straight answer to. So maybe you guys can help me out?

Thanks for the add! Would really like some input. And please no hate or hostility. I am simply asking because I just dont know. I would like advice from people like yourselves.

So I'm in Michigan and we live in a shared household. More specifically we live in the basement part of the house. But its uninsulated. Meaning when its negative outside, it can get to negative down there. And it's a different story with ourselves and our cat and pet rats. We have several heated blankets and pads that we have on sitting and napping areas. But as long as we're living in this basement (which is probably another year or 2), we just cant keep fish can we? Because I'm almost positive there's no aquarium heater that can keep up with negative temperatures. And there's no way to "insulate" a tank is there?

Sorry if I sound extremely dumb and uninformed. 😥

Remember this is NOT my house so insulating the basement isnt something i can just do or ask to invest in. So...am i just out of luck until we are in a new place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Hi Tania, welcome on board! Basements can be kept for fish the best I feel, why? Structurally, it's the most sound with the most weight...so let's say you have a 150 gallon tank, with it being empty, it only weighs 308lbs, but filled, can go upwards of 1800lb+. Not saying you should get a 150 gal tank...but maybe down the line. :P Anyway, honestly, if you get a heater in your tank, it'd help tremendously. The scary fact isn't really your fishkeeping, but oh my goodness, the pets would have to snuggle with you guys, no?! How's the cat and the rat? Are Tom and Jerry behaving?
sittinglynx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Aquarium heaters are rated in watts. And those are rated furthermore for a temperature differential for different tank sizes. This means a heater could have enough power to heat a 50 gallon tank to 10 degrees above room temp. Or that same heater could heat a 30 gallon to 15 degrees above room temp.

These numbers are just examples and not an actual representation of any particular heater. But something to keep in mind if you look into buying one eventually.

Some species of fish I know handle far colder temps but I dont know if it's be advised for prolonged periods of time. One example is the white cloud minnow, tropical temps are the upper limit for them.
sittinglynx likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode