Done lurking - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jeff N

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Done lurking

Ok guilty as charged...done a lot of lurking but now its time for proper introductions.
My name is Jeff and Ive been an avid fish keeper for 25 years.
Began with a 30 gal community ( present for my wife ) and quickly got obsessed...fast forward 10 years and I have 2500 gallons running in my basement breeding rare African Cichlids.
That was fun for a minute.
After a brief stint in the local breeders guild and networking with some of the more serious local fish keepers I got really frustrated with the lackadaisical attitude to strain purity and inbreeding for profit.
So I basically backed out gracefully from the industry and kept to myself I continued to import straight from the lakes and sold quality stock to some of the larger distribution outlets of the time including Aarmkes and a few farms in Fla and to a certain number of African cichlid keepers.
I sold the whole fish room in its entirety for 2500$ in 2014 prior to a move.
I kept one 75 gallon tank that I moved to the new house and set it up with the intention to avoid all thing African and try my hand at a planted tank....I said try.
Inspired by Takashi Amano I had never seen anything like what he was doing at the time.
I made my own co2 and grew a beautiful tank and kept it going for close to 3 years and was fairly satisfied with it but the fever hit again and ended up with a 2nd tank to try to mimic the amano style with.but instead of going larger (as with African keepers) I went smaller and got a 20 gal...Never achieved amano quality I settled with jungle lol.
So now I am an empty nester and have moved the tanks to my new man cave ( daughters old room )
And added a really nice lifeguard aquatics low iron glass 10 gallon that I am determined to get carpeting in.
Ive seen so much innovation through the years that I have avoided I feel like I am behind the curve with planted tanks....some of you folks speak about plant species like I used to speak about Africans ( before the renamed the taxonomy) and out of nowhere new icons and authorities have emerged....I dig it.
I remember hanging out in Augusta Ga with Bob Cope at his School of tropical fish as he was creating the half black angelfish and working on some of the most beautiful strains of cardinal tetras and now its all about led lights and co2.
Well Ill stop here and just say I am glad to be here and look forward to delving into the next phase of my favorite hobby.

"will this kill my shrimp?''
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:32 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You sound like you have a ton of valuable experience! I hope you will weigh in and give advice while you're learning. I was just thinking about posting a question here on how people manage inbreeding with multiple generations of fish so I would love to hear more about your philosophy on that. I think you will find that hobbyists increasingly have a greater interest in taking what you believe on this subject seriously because the effects of continuous inbreeding without outcrossing for so many decades has had an obvious impact on many fish species, including those that used to be touted for their hardiness but have become fragile and prone to defects and disease. I can tell you I spend a lot more $ on fish from breeders that make sure to out-cross regularly but I don't know how educated the general public is so this might be uncommon.

.`.`..`.><(((>

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome!

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode