• 2 Post By Quint
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Checkin in

Hey everyone.

So back in 80s/90s my parents owned a decent size pet store (before petco/petsmart wiped out most mom and pop shops). I use to take care of the tanks which from what I can remember (been 30yrs) consisted of about 14 - 40g salt, 6 - 50g salt, around 40 - 20g fresh, 6 - 55g fresh, 2 - 100g fresh. Haven't had a tank since. I must say many things have changed (for the better mostly). The amount of information available today compared to back then is a huge difference.

Jump to a couple months ago and the MIL got two bettas and two 1/2g cheapo tanks.

Anyhow that morphed into a 10gal for one setup and a 40b for the other.

Been reading alot on the forums so figured I would join and will probably have more then a few questions.
deeda and Greggz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I must say many things have changed (for the better mostly). The amount of information available today compared to back then is a huge difference.

Anyhow that morphed into a 10gal for one setup and a 40b for the other.

Been reading alot on the forums so figured I would join and will probably have more then a few questions.
Welcome.

What are you growing?

A lot has changed over the years.
The web is a great resource but there is also misinformation and still a lot of myths associated with planted tanks.

A recommended site to check out https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

Start a journal, post some pics, and ask lots of questions.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

Good luck sir

This forum is full of kowledgeable people who are all very helpful.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Welcome.

What are you growing?

A lot has changed over the years.
The web is a great resource but there is also misinformation and still a lot of myths associated with planted tanks.

A recommended site to check out https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

Start a journal, post some pics, and ask lots of questions.

Primarily some stuff from the chain stores, ferns which I have already taken off shoots off and tied to some wood, and various other plants.

Ill post some pics when I get back home. Have one plant I cant identify right now so definitely be asking about that one. Pretty much low key on the plants. Have several but didnt even know much about CO2 and Ferts and such so still learning about all that.

Issue with the net is the reposting of information (right or wrong) by people just doing searches to answer questions. Just gotta weed thru it all but still so much info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon554 View Post
Good luck sir

This forum is full of kowledgeable people who are all very helpful.

Thanks and yes I agree.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Hey everyone.

So back in 80s/90s my parents owned a decent size pet store (before petco/petsmart wiped out most mom and pop shops). I use to take care of the tanks which from what I can remember (been 30yrs) consisted of about 14 - 40g salt, 6 - 50g salt, around 40 - 20g fresh, 6 - 55g fresh, 2 - 100g fresh. Haven't had a tank since. I must say many things have changed (for the better mostly). The amount of information available today compared to back then is a huge difference.

Things sure have changed. Not all for the better though. A lot of the stuff I started with in the 80s is long gone and replaced by the "new and improved" (how can something that is new be improved since it's new? and if it's improved than it's old and not new).
Some stuff is better. Some is snake oil. Like HOB. The venerable Supreme Aquamaster and Aquaking were awesome filters that didn't blend your fry into mush if they got caught in the siphon tubes.
Heaters still get stuck.
Water still needs to be changed.
Piston and diaphragm air pumps have indeed improved. Well in the case of the diaphragm the larger ones have. The small ones are still the same. Some work well. Others not so much.

As Maryland Guppy has stated the information is out there. But there is a lot of misinformation. I sure do miss the old mags like Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine.

And this site has a ton of very knowledgeable folks still here. This is one of the more active sites. A lot of good people here.

Welcome to the forum. Ask questions. Even if you think they are dumb. Someone will answer.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode