New recipe _ killer chicken thighs with red peppers & onions - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes
  • 7 Post By discuspaul
  • 2 Post By discuspaul
  • 2 Post By discuspaul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
New recipe _ killer chicken thighs with red peppers & onions

I recently developed this recipe, based on an old Italian recipe which I altered and added to quite significantly.B]

Here it is, after testing out several different variations. I love it so much that I now make it almost every week - this for the past 2 months ![/B]

GIVE IT A TRY

CHICKEN PAPRIKA WITH RED PEPPER &ONIONS

RECIPE IS FOR 4 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS:

- 8-10pieces of eitherchicken thighs (bone-in with skin attached), or drumsticks, or combination ofboth.

- 1 medium-size red bell pepper(without seeds or ribs) diced into bite-size pieces (or other veggies of yourchoice ,- e.g. celery &/or carrot pieces). I believe it's best with bell peppers.

- 1 medium onion cut into 3/4"-1" wedges, sliced from the oniontop to it's root end, keeping a bit of the root end attached to each piece ifpossible, in order for the wedges tostay together as much as possible - but don't get hung up on this - onionslivers will do fine.

- 4-6 cloves of garlic - slivered.

- Approx. 1 full cup of white wine,or more if need be.

- 3/4 cup of chicken stock ifavailable, but water will do.

- Approx. 1/4, or 1/5 th approx. -ofa cup each of, maple syrup, honey, lemonjuice (with some zest), cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar), and bourbon.

[B]- 3 -4 tspns. of paprika, and 1 tspn.tomato paste.[/B

- A bit of heat is suggested - either1/2 tspn. hot sauce for example, or up to 1/2 of small jalapeno pepper, finelydiced (seeds & ribs removed). Better still, would be a heaping tspn. ofGourmet Chef mango habanero glaze, if available.

PREP:

- Remove excess fat and skin fromchicken thighs - pat quite dry with paper toweling - and lightly flour all ofthe chicken pieces - fry pieces on stovetop in a bit of veg oil at medium/high heat approx. 3-5 minutes on each e sideuntil golden-brown (thighs skin-side down to begin with - drumsticks rotatedoccasionally if/when using ) - remove from frypan & set aside.

- Add all of the onion wedges anddiced peppers to the same fry pan and saute on medium heat for several minutes,flipping/turning occasionally until edges/sides begin to sear/ brown somewhat -then remove and layer the roasted mixed veggies into an suitably-sized ovenproof dish, to more or less evenly cover the bottom of the dish. (approx. 14" X 12" dish should do nicely.)

- Place the browned chicken pieces -interspersed - on top of the veggies - more or less evenly spaced from eachother. (Thighs skin side up).

- Add a bit of butter to your frypan, add the garlic slivers and saute for aminute or 2 on med. heat (don't burn the garlic - lol) - then add the whitewine, increase the heat if need be, and allow the wine to simmer until reducedby about 50%.

Meantime, mix/whisk together in abowl all of the other ingredients - i.e. the chicken stock, maple syrup, honey,vinegar, lemon juice & zest, tomato paste, bourbon, and paprika (and dicedjalapeno or hot sauce if using) until well-combined.

-Add this liquid mixture to thereduced wine and allow all to simmer for a few minutes while stirring to ensureit's all well combined - at this time thicken this sauce with some flour, orcorn starch, mixed with water or milk - to increase the consistency to alight/medium sauce consistency - removefrom heat and allow to cool a bit.

- Pour this slightly thickened sauceinto the oven dish until the liquidlevel in the dish more or less covers the veggies, but also reaching the bottom parts of the chickenpieces. If the amount of sauce isinsufficient, add some white wine or chicken stock.

Bake uncovered for approx. 1 hour @350 degrees, occasionally basting the chicken pieces with sauce from the dish.When done, place on broil for 3-4 minutes to further darken the chicken pieceswithout burning them, and serve with whatever sides you've decided on.

ENJOY !

Last edited by discuspaul; 02-23-2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Change spacing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Now that sounds delicious!
Thanks @discuspaul
Ill have to try this one out.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Now that sounds delicious!
Thanks @discuspaul
Ill have to try this one out.

Thanks Discusluv - I'm a real avid 'foodie', I've been cooking for over 40 years, and I think I have a taste sense that tells me a simple recipe is exceptionally good - and this is one of them !
Give it a try, - I'm anxious to hear your opinion on it !
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Thanks Discusluv - I'm a real avid 'foodie', I've been cooking for over 40 years, and I think I have a taste sense that tells me a simple recipe is exceptionally good - and this is one of them !
Give it a try, - I'm anxious to hear your opinion on it !
I certainly will.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Please forgive the lousy word spacing and other flaws in my attempt to edit the recipe properly. My computer illiteracy shows up here.
It's difficult for me to fix these things from a Word document that is copied & pasted into this forum.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't met anyone who doesn't like Mac & Cheese - the recipe below is one I developed, that quite a few people have told me is very creamy & delicious.

Thought some of you might like to try it sometime.

TASTY & TANGY MAC AND CHEESE

This recipe will make 2 or 3 portions of mac & cheese, which will be sufficient to fit well to a reasonable depth in an ovenproof corning ware casserole dish of roughly 7" X 7" & up to 3" deep, or 9"X 7"X 2.5" deep.

The Pasta:

Many Mac & Cheese lovers regularly use elbow macaroni as their pasta of choice, but I feel there are better options which will retain more of the creamy cheese sauce - my favorite is a Garofalo brand of elicoidali pasta, which is similar in size and shape to rigatoni - a little narrower and shorter, with curved ridges instead of straight.

If you can't find elicoidali pasta, rigatoni will be excellent as well, or ziti, or penne - all of which are my favorites for making mac & cheese.

I feel the best mac & cheese is made by starting with a roue that is creamy & stays as much in 'liquidy form' as possible after baking i.e. does not dry up as much as a thicker roue when baked. This means you should use less flour, adding more milk & cream combo to the roue.

Cooking the pasta:

You'll need approx. up to2 cups of the dry elicoidali or rigatoni pasta
Boil the selected pasta in a large saucepan or pot of salted water to al dente consistency - i.e about a minute or 2 less than the stated cooking time on the package, depending on which pasta you're using. Cool the partially boiled pasta for later layering in the casserole dish before baking.

If the pasta you use calls for cooking in boiling water for say 10 minutes, remove it after 8 minutes in al dente form to be drained and cool, as it will cook further when baked.

Making the Roue:

You will need butter & flour, milk and cream, velveeta cheese, dijon mustard, & some powdered nutmeg & cayenne pepper - quantities as below.
Prepare ahead a full cup of milk and heavy cream (whipping cream) mixed together - 3/4 cup of milk to 1/4 cup of cream.

In a medium-sized saucepan, melt approx. 1/4 to 1/3 cup of butter, to which you add 1 T of flour.

Whisk the flour into the melted butter on low/medium heat for a minute or two until it begins to brown a little, & the flour has "cooked' somewhat. Then whisk in 1/4 tsp. each of powdered nutmeg, and cayenne pepper while cooking.

It should have begun to bubble, so start adding some of the milk/cream ( say 1/4 cup at a time) while whisking continually as it thickens more. When you have added say 3/4 cup of the milk/cream, or even up to the full cup or more if need be, the roue consistency should have thickened somewhat, but still be quite loose & 'liquidy' - at this point add a couple of ounces of Velveeta brand cheese (that's a small block piece about 3/4" thick, cut up in 8 or 10 small pieces) - add the pieces of Velveeta a few at a time, whisking all the while until all of the velveeta is melted to make the sauce consistency a bit thicker, but still somewhat 'watery'. At this point also whisk in 1 - 1.5 teaspoons of dijon mustard.

Remove the roue from the heat, cover, and allow to cool.

The Cheeses and other Ingredients you will need:

- A small block piece of Velveeta cheese which you have already used in making the roue.

- 3/4 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup of grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated jalapeno (or habanero) monterey jack cheese, or havarti cheese w/jalapeno
-3-4 bacon rashers, fried crispy, and broken up into small bite-sized pieces

- These 3 main cheeses and the fried crispy bacon pieces (when cooled) should be mixed well together for layering into the casserole dish

- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of finely grated parmesan or romano cheese
-1/2 cup or more of panko bread crumbs
-1- 1.5 teaspoons of paprika powder
- 1/4 cup of melted butter

These 4 ingredients are to be well mixed together to sprinkle evenly over the top of the finished mac & cheese dish before baking.

Prep for baking:

- Lightly butter the bottom & sides of the casserole dish.
- Add a single layer of the cooked and cooled pasta to the dish
- Sprinkle a portion of the 3 mixed grated cheeses over the pasta
- Ladle a small portion of the cooled roue sauce over top of this pasta & cheese layer

- Repeat this portioning & layering until you've used up all of the pasta, grated cheeses, and the roue sauce

- For' good measure' as they say, & to help with making a real creamy mac & cheese, dribble/drizzle more milk & cream combination- 1/2 of each -over the entire casserole- say about 1/2 cup.

- Evenly sprinkle the mixture of buttered panko bread crumbs with finely grated parmesan or romano cheese and paprika powder over the top of the casserole.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the panko bread topping is nicely browned.

Hope you like it !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode