• 2 Post By OVT
  • 2 Post By adkaquascaping
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newish to PT forums

Hello. Turned on this channel by a friend from an aquascaping discord I'm in. Been keeping planted aquariums since I was a kid but am always still learning. Love that part..

Currently in the middle of two sizeable projects relating to them. One is a rebuild of my 35g community tank. Everything and everyone getting removed from it. I've mostly finished making a concrete over foam 3d background incorporating a sandfall. Built around an internal sump with a fluidized bed of k2 micro. (Curse you joeydiy. All that YouTube at work got me into this....). Fully scaped using dennerle scapers soil. Going high tech for the first time ever with pressurized CO≤, inline diffuser feeding into a reactor I designed and built to fully dissolve the bubbles and not get Sprite water. Incorporating real granite pieces and Driftwood. Going rimless, adding auto bracing, and making a custom glass lid. Dual lights (fugeray2 and a planted+ 24/7 ) for all those light hungry plants.

And all started with what was going to just be putting internal sump in. Hah. I'm at a standstill on that until the hotel aqurium for my fish to live in during this project cycles. Going on week 4. Ammonia finally really dropping. Still turns green tho. So... I wait.

Second project is more a career move attempt. I built a fully equipped tissue culture lab in my home. I went to school for plant Biotech and now work in semiconductors and hate it. So I took half of my 401k in a loan to myself, sold off almost all of my brokerage account, and invested my money in ME. I have, between en route and already at home, 88 species of aquatic plants. A third of which came to me in culture already, speeding up the process of propagating them. I'm also going to buy 5 more rare crypts, and 2 other carpeting plants that are just astoundingly hard to find. But right now I don't even know if I have room for what is coming to me already haha. So I need to get some stuff out of my holding tank and into culture asap to make room. I bought a 30g 'garden' tank for all my non-tc starter specimens.... And it's almost full. And I have almost 30 still en route. Not counting the few I plan to buy. Hahaha. It's great tho. It got real so fast. Had talked for years about wanting my own lab. My own business.

And in the last 2 weeks since I got my checks from Prudential and from selling stocks on Fidelity.... My second bedroom went from 'storage for lab equipment I had been buying here and there at auction but not set up or done anything with' into 'surprisingly respectably equipped lab, with growth capabilities to handle early expansion if I'm successful'. It's very exciting. So not only will my swordtails be swimming around patches of Ludwigia 'white', and Iguazu 2009.... But hopefully I'll be able to do it full time and leave my mindless monotonous job and combine my lifelong love of planted freshwater tanks with my chosen degree path from my undergrad days. Very very exciting time in my apartment to say the least. I even turned down being "canvassed" for a job as a state forest ranger, something I wanted to do for a living up until about a year ago, to make sure I had the time to make both these projects succeed.

Except for when my wife looks in the dining area, it's all very exciting and joyful. Then she sees the table still unusable from where I'm building everything for the 35g. And all the supplies and tools stacked in there too. So then she's less happy, but knows it's for a good reason, and I do my best to keep everything neat as possible to reduce clutter and stress. It's not working well. It's still chaos at our home. Good chaos. But chaos.

So. Yea. Tldr I'm busy AF on two plant related projects, hopefully will be in business for myself in the next 6 months and able to leave my day job, and I CANT FIGURE OUT WHY THIS DAMN 55G 'HOTEL' TANK ISNT CYCLING FASTER. haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, sounds like you have a plan. I'd love to see that tissue culture lab, it sounds interesting. Are you keeping any rare mosses? If so, which ones?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Almost complete list of current stock. ** Is stuff I have already put in culture and/or bought in TC and is ready to start multiplying full scale

I also have, not on that list: octopus plant. Red melon sword. Kliener bar sword. Buce mini red. And echino green ozelot

madcrafted and madcrafted like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-20-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:21 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@adkaquascaping: I am following a number of your threads and I am getting more and more amazed at the breath of your net. You keep on posting and I will keep on reading.

What is the reason for feeding an external diffuser into a reactor? With Rexx / Grig's reactor you should be getting 100% dissolution by pumping co2 right in.

Bump: given your plant stocking list, when should I shop your site?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is most current shot I have of work bench. I am at my actual paying job rn so I can't take a better current one. I've since moves things around. Made room for rotary shaker on a shelf off that bench. Added microwave for media prep. A fridge strictly for media components. My starting single culture rack will have all 5 shelves lit by Monday. Ish. Ordered the last 2 fixtures about an hour ago. I also have access to my mother's empty former bakery, which I will be buying more lights and using for space for many many dozens of containers. Just bought 2500 additional culture containers (lids already arrived, vessels soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
@adkaquascaping:
What is the reason for feeding an external diffuser into a reactor? With Rexx / Grig's reactor you should be getting 100% dissolution by pumping co2 right in.
Bc I could. Hah. I have never done high tech. And i told ya.... A LOT of YouTube. Legit 12h a day some days. I sit in a room by myself working on a microscope. Wear headphones and listen to YouTube or Spotify all day. I've listened to most of Joey's vids. So I just was like DO ALL THE THINGS

Doing that rebuild is what got me interested in the plant seminar by Dennerle rep hosted at our LFS that was where I realized 'wtf am I doing? I have the equipment, the degree, love this hobby, and hate my job. This is what I need to be doing'.

I had taken what was going to simply be "build plexiglass sump. Silicone to inside of tank. Replace everything 48h later. Done" and turned it into a project that has me heat fitting acrylic and PVC fittings together. Running my dremmel at 1am cutting piping for filter and sandfall.... I basically took all his playlists and was like "I want this". So.... I did it. Got in waaayyyyy over my head on the build. The lab.... That's what I love doing. Working in TC lab feels natural to me. Building one of those has been a journey too. Hah. But thats less mentally taxing to plan than figuring plumbing out for my main display tank

Early phase of my ghetto reactor. It's since had all the seals caked with epoxy. Sanded smooth. A Barb drilled through side that is going to be cut off and filled in (was going to direct inject co≤ into it, abandoned that). Going to chrome both ends with spray paint

Curses, Joey. Hah. Cost me a lot of money making me want a tank like that, resulting in sparking my interest in making it more than just a hobby.

madcrafted and madcrafted like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-20-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:07 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Looks more like a ghetto blaster then a reactor. Or an appropriately sized toy I cannot name in a family friendly forum.
You go, man.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There's enough epoxy on it now to fix a car

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode