The Planted Tank Forum banner

New to join, been reading a while

283 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  sfsamm 
#1 ·
So I a few days ago finally found the tapatalk app and it's made the thought of actually joining many of the forums I read make sense. So here I am!
I've been doing freshwater fish off and on my entire life, my last go around I decided to go with real plants. As someone who generally finds it difficult to actually kill a house or garden plant I had the same success with planted tanks. Naturally when I got settled into a new house several months ago I once again started up a couple aquarium projects both small scale betta tanks planted moderately for a heavily planted grow in. They are doing phenomenal other than an algae problem that I'm still working out (seems it's most likely due to the amazing light and the hours it's on in the fluval spec v... I work 12 hour shifts so more often than not its a solid 14-15 hours of light. And until I get a timer that's how it will be, but it keeps the snails happy so I'm not that bothered at the end of the day that there's always a bit of algae to see in the tank.

I'm actually looking now to start a larger project, for now it will just be a 20 gallon std. I'm looking to start a Congo river basin biotope type low to med tech (no co2, but lighting according to decided plant needs) and as I'm not one to follow the rules entirely fish will be based around a leopard ctenopoma and will be minimal until I get him into a permanent home in a larger tank but will be true to his Congo river location. Other wise in general I'd like to frame the design hardscape and plants to a similar environment to that region.

If anyone has any experience with a similar design I'd love any advice and or ideas, awesome resources in the US you may have found or even websites that you've found helpful!

I know believe me that there's a million places to read and source. But honestly not a whole lot for Congo River Basin Biotope. (Think African jungle not African savanna) at least not that I've found! I should be picking up the tank in the next couple weeks and look forward to starting my first honestly designed planted tank.

Oooo and I'm also looking for a good preferably private source for red moor wood and or spiderwood if any one can advise!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.