The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Captivate's 29 gallon (56k) *5/28 Replanted
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
Captivate05's Avatar
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,447
Since I was tampering with my tank today, I thought I'd to an update.

I trimmed the plant that was sent to me as Ludwigia Cuba. As of right now, I'm not convinced that's what it is, but it was starting to grow like a weed. I had left it in the pot originally, but the taller stems were nearly at the waterline, so I cut the bases off. I put them in a weight; I'm not sure if they are going to work yet, and if it starts turning into cuba, I want to cut the emersed stems off.

The other plants are starting to get settled in, so I'm feeling better about them. The plant that took the biggest hit when I moved was (believe it or not) the marselia minuta. Of the large carpet I had, I only managed to salvage a few nodes. I was on the verge of just tossing it out, but it seems to be in pretty high demand right now, so I thought I would just try to see what I could get out of it. It took some TLC, a few trimmings to get the old damaged leaves off, and time, but it's starting to boom. I can see several new nodes sprouting up, tons of tiny little leaves peeking out of the Flourite. I knew this plant would do this if it survived, and I'm happy it didn't melt completely.

Marselia minuta is an interesting little plant. When I had it in my previous set-up, it was shaded so much by all the taller plants that it grew to be three, sometimes four inches tall. It got big (by MM standards), with less co2, lights, and nutrients. Now that it's been placed in a nice bright spot in the tank, being blasted with co2 (it's right in the flow), and with a couple root tabs and full EI dosing, it's character has changed so much. It's nodes are growing much closer together, and the leaves are staying much shorter (about an inch). I guess that holds pretty true for all aquatic plants, but with this one the difference is staggering.

I think one of my large female RCS hit the Koralia powerhead Sunday night. She's missing a leg and her back looks torn up, but I still see her everyday; she pretty active and comes running when the fish get fed. She looks like she's healing, so I have some hopes for her if she can molt out of it. If not, there isn't much I can do about it.

I can't wait to get my pressurized co2 going. The DIY worked so well for me with the 10 gallon, I didn't think it would be such a challenge to keep up with on the 29g. My Ludwigias still have curling leaves, but there isn't much I can do about it right now. I need to lift the lights, but without a job, I'm at the mercy of my reluctant fiance for help. I hate asking him for it too; it's my project, not his. He said he would, but as to when is always the question with him. The regulator was the top thing on my Christmas list, and he knows it. But if he doesn't get it for me, I'm getting it myself with whatever Christmas money I hope to have. At least I have a ten pound cylinder, all ready to be traded in, so I don't have to worry about that.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Captivate05 is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome