The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 100gal Wild Discus Biotype - Rimless 48x24x20
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Matt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
Lets see some pics of the light on!
I'll try and get some tomorrow, its BRIGHT. I just have the warm whites, and only 9 of them and I keep asking myself how these reef guys have 24+ of the cool whites together....that must be instant blindness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedpufferfreak View Post
im excited for this one! i have thought of doing about the same thing!
Thanks, I'm excited for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltad View Post
can you link me to where/how you did your CREE light?

and where'd you get that aluminum??
Alluminum heatsink came from http://www.heatsinkusa.com/ I went with the 8.4" profile 24 inch. Its thinner then the 10 inch profile I was first leaning towards.

I don't follow when you say where/how I did the LEDs. How did I attach/wire them or where did I get them? The LED stars and optics came from http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/StoreFront Cheapest place I could find the Warm whites.

The light I wanted to keep very simple. No controller or any of that craziness, everything quick disconnect, plug it in and flip a switch, very easy. I think the hardest part of this part of the project was tapping the aluminum after you drill it. And the only reason I needed to tap it was to get the spacers in to hold the plexiglass shield. If you haven't soldered before that might prove to be a bit difficult, but get a good quality iron not the small battery ones and its easy. I'll take more pictures when I can, I actually have 3 computer fans to sit on top of the heatsink to provide some active cooling in a push pull setup. Mounted those by bending more plexiglass, really cool effect IMO its like the fans are floating.

-Matt
Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome