First attempt at a ada aquascape, what do you guys think - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Duckweed is especially hard to get rid of if you have other floaters. That plant is good at hiding. Honestly though, if you simply scoop the majority out every time you do a water change it isn't to bad and can be kept under control rather easily. I just got sick of it always sticking to my arms and clogging my filter...

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm gonna go with duckweed for now.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootay View Post
Is it really though? I scoop it out every water change and let it reform a carpet. I don't see why I couldn't just eradicate it by scooping all of it out.
I've read a lot of first hand experience that it is. Didn't give me all that much trouble honestly. For a week or so, I was plucking out stray leaves, but that wasn't a problem for me. Felt it was worth mentioning though, since so many have had that complaint.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Also, do you guys think I should remove the anubias in the front to help show more of the wood?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
Also, do you guys think I should remove the anubias in the front to help show more of the wood?
I like the way it is.

I'm fairly experienced with fish, but new to planted tanks.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like it! Nice, healthy plants with a minimal "island" type scape. Low maintenance too, given the plant selection.

If you haven't decided on duckweed for certain... go with Salvinia minima (water spangles). Very attractive, smaller but not as smaller as regular duckweed, and roots are 1/2" at the longest. You can get it here in the forum or on Amazon for pretty cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 07:24 PM

I think the tank looks extraordinary! Nicely done!

I've never heard of the Lapis blasting sand so I looked it up. I LOVE the look of it. Seem much more natural than the black or solid off-white colors you see from pool filter sand, blasting sand etc. What size do you use? It looks like the list the #3 and #2 1/2 as blasting sand but its really hard to get a feel for the size from the comparison images. Those sizes look like pretty large grains.

Bump: Oh, and I think Dwarf Water Lettuce is a great betta floater. It's smaller than frogbit and doesn't block the light as much from your plants. It propogates quickly, but is WAY bigger than duckweed so its easier to clean out when it gets to be too much, and also doesnt clog filters. It can get some pretty long roots when its healthy, about 2-3". So if you dont like the look of floater roots then maybe it isnt for you. I love it and my betta seems to enjoy it as well. He usually makes his bubble nest in it. One of these I'll have to get him a girlfriend.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode